SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to add a game, especially a quality game. But I would be very surprised to see a game added to the schedule after the season starts.

After Katrina and especially after 9/11, schedules were majorly reconfigured, so there's precedence (new opponents scheduled, revised dates etc). If it's important for NMexSt to have six home games (they've promised season tickets holders that), they will likely play somebody Oct 4th. UND would not be their preference, but Faison/Mussman should certainly make a few phone calls (no more 20 day lapse in playing - two weeks to heal up after NMexSt, more prep for Texas Tech game next year). NMexSt probably not going to go bowling with a 6-6 record anyway (if they had beaten Nicholls), so UND's non-counter status isn't that big a deal. Also, with a strong home schedule (including NMex, Boise, Hawaii), NMexSt shouldn't have any concerns about the 15,000 attendance limit. Making travel arrangment 30 days in advance is much easily than Nicholls State changing their travel to play NMSU on 9/6. Doesn't hurt to make an inquiry.

After Katrina and especially after 9/11, schedules were majorly reconfigured, so there's precedence (new opponents scheduled, revised dates etc). If it's important for NMexSt to have six home games (they've promised season tickets holders that), they will likely play somebody Oct 4th. UND would not be their preference, but Faison/Mussman should certainly make a few phone calls (no more 20 day lapse in playing - two weeks to heal up after NMexSt, more prep for Texas Tech game next year). NMexSt probably not going to go bowling with a 6-6 record anyway (if they had beaten Nicholls), so UND's non-counter status isn't that big a deal. Also, with a strong home schedule (including NMex, Boise, Hawaii), NMexSt shouldn't have any concerns about the 15,000 attendance limit. Making travel arrangment 30 days in advance is much easily than Nicholls State changing their travel to play NMSU on 9/6. Doesn't hurt to make an inquiry.

I sure hope someone calls them up.

According to a New Mexico State board, NMSU is looking to add another game, but it much prefers it to be a IAA counter because of a bowl berth potential.

Sept 6th is probably too logistically challenging, considering the distance, for these three at such a close date:

Villanova, Portland State, and Illinois State have opens dates Sept 6th

Oct 4th has a number of IAA schools with openings. NMSU's AD is probably calling these schools first to gauge interest / potential. NMSU probably doesn't offer that much of a $ contract ($200k guessing) and some of these schools already have IA games or don't want a IA game while in their conference schedule.

Stony Brook

New Hampshire

Fordham

Wofford (plays at South Carolina two weeks prior - conference play begins previous wk vs Ga Southern)

Sam Houston St (plays at Kansas two weeks prior - exclusive conference play starts Oct 11)

Alcorn State

Is a New Mexico State game a possibility for Oct. 4 yet? They are still talking about in on NMSU's message board as one of the most likely to happen http://mbd.scoutnmsu message board.com/mb.aspx?s=242&f=2377&t=2908854

It may be in desparation for them to fill out their schedule for season ticket holders, but I think it would be really great to fill out our schedule this year and see how we stack up. Especially, with TT on the schedule next year.

Is a New Mexico State game a possibility for Oct. 4 yet? They are still talking about in on NMSU's message board as one of the most likely to happen http://mbd.scoutnmsu message board.com/mb.aspx?s=242&f=2377&t=2908854

It may be in desparation for them to fill out their schedule for season ticket holders, but I think it would be really great to fill out our schedule this year and see how we stack up. Especially, with TT on the schedule next year.

At this point, I'd think it is highly unlikely. From everything I've read, NMSU has bowl aspirations this season so I'd guess they'll do everything in their power to bring in a counter, that is if they bring in anyone at all. They do still have 11 games on the slate, after all.

They could simply bring Nicholls back on Oct. 4 since both teams are open that day, although it appears that is the day that many Southland teams are keeping open as their bye week prior to the start of conference play. Same goes for Sam Houston St. which would be much closer.

For UND to get in there, (if NMSU just absolutely wants a game), I'd think that both Nicholls and Sam Houston would both have to decline, or UND would have to offer to come for an extremely low guarantee.

Correction of my own post:

Nicholls plays on Thursday, Oct. 2, so I guess they don't share that open weekend.

Also, NMSU has two bye weeks in a row from Sept. 27 to Oct. 4, just like us (although ours are Oct. 4-Oct 11).

Maybe there is a better chance of this happening than I was giving credit for.

Still, I'd think that if Sam Houston is at all interested, they'd get the deal. They count and they're closer.

Correction of my own post:

Nicholls plays on Thursday, Oct. 2, so I guess they don't share that open weekend.

Also, NMSU has two bye weeks in a row from Sept. 27 to Oct. 4, just like us (although ours are Oct. 4-Oct 11).

Maybe there is a better chance of this happening than I was giving credit for.

Still, I'd think that if Sam Houston is at all interested, they'd get the deal. They count and they're closer.

Sam Houston plays at Kansas on Sept 20, so they may not want another big game right before their conference season. But they would be much more desirable to NMSU than a transition team.

From today's Las Cruces Newspaper.....

Mumme said that efforts continue to try to find an adequate fill-in game for the void on the schedule.

"We're working on finding a replacement," Mumme said. "We have an open date on Oct. 4 and we also have the option of playing after the season. We'll likely get a game scheduled. Against who, at this point, we don't know."

Another game for UND?

The effects of Hurricane Gustav may be felt as far north as UND.

There is a chance the hurricane could produce an Oct. 4 game between UND and New Mexico State, which postponed its game last week against Nicholls State of Louisiana.

UND athletic director Brian Faison said he has been in contact with New Mexico State officials about a possible game. Both schools have an Oct. 4 open date.

Other than that awful two week bye, and the fact that we only have 10 games scheduled as it is, I'm kind of questioning whether or not this would be a good game for North Dakota to have at this point in the transition.

Granted, NMSU could be viewed as a somewhat vulnerable FBS opponent to alot of the top 25 FCS teams, but one has to keep in mind that right now, our roster is probably around 75% made up of players recruited to play DII football, albeit a high level of DII football.

On the other hand, if it happened, it would be a great experience for the players and coaches, there would be a bye week afterward to rest and recover, and it would be great exposure if we competed well against the Aggies.

I wonder what Coach Mussman's opionion would be?

Food for thought anyways..........

Other than that awful two week bye, and the fact that we only have 10 games scheduled as it is, I'm kind of questioning whether or not this would be a good game for North Dakota to have at this point in the transition.

Granted, NMSU could be viewed as a somewhat vulnerable FBS opponent to alot of the top 25 FCS teams, but one has to keep in mind that right now, our roster is probably around 75% made up of players recruited to play DII football, albeit a high level of DII football.

On the other hand, if it happened, it would be a great experience for the players and coaches, there would be a bye week afterward to rest and recover, and it would be great exposure if we competed well against the Aggies.

Not that it's an either/or proposition, but I guess I'd prefer to take on a low-level FBS program this year, considering we have an experienced quarterback, an outstanding receiver and our two best offensive linemen who all won't be around next year, rather than playing a top-25 FBS team next year with a new quarterback, and little experience at receiver and the o-line.

Last season NMSU beat Southeastern Louisiana (FCS) 35-14. SLU had two big plays...a 30 yard interception for a TD in the 2nd quarter and a 62 yard TD run with two minutes remaining in the game. It appears that NMSU coasted to the win.

On the other hand NMSU barely squeaked by Arkansas Pine-Bluff (FCS) 20-17. In fact...NMSU literally needed a last second FG to secure the win. Arkansas Pine-Bluff lost to Arkansas-Monticello (DII) 7-21 last Saturday...

I think it would be a great opportunity for the seniors to play an FBS opponent (win or lose) and if Faison and Mussman are game then so am I.

[homer]

31 UND

24 NMSU

[/homer]

???

DISCLAIMER: Comparison scores are worthless but fun nonetheless.

Last season NMSU beat Southeastern Louisiana (FCS) 35-14. SLU had two big plays...a 30 yard interception for a TD in the 2nd quarter and a 62 yard TD run with two minutes remaining in the game. It appears that NMSU coasted to the win.

On the other hand NMSU barely squeaked by Arkansas Pine-Bluff (FCS) 20-17. In fact...NMSU literally needed a last second FG to secure the win. Arkansas Pine-Bluff lost to Arkansas-Monticello (DII) 7-21 last Saturday...

I think it would be a great opportunity for the seniors to play an FBS opponent (win or lose) and if Faison and Mussman are game then so am I.

[homer]

31 UND

24 NMSU

[/homer]

???

DISCLAIMER: Comparison scores are worthless but fun nonetheless.

This would be a good game for you to pick up. One that you would be favored. Just looking at their record and they have trouble beating the lowest FCS teams. They must be a BB school.

I can't help but wonder whether a team like New Hampshire, with legitimate playoff aspirations, would want to add another FBS game (they already play at Army), the week before a conference game, for what will probably be a fairly modest payday?

Because they are 2 FBS games they should win.