SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs BISON Game Thread

AZSIOUX

It's great to see the goals put up yesterday, and by who they were put up. However, I still remember there were goals scored in Manitoba games in years past by players that barely showed up on the scoresheet the rest of the year. Better to score than not score, but I'll not use yesterday's results to predict too much.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that an exibition game against Manitoba is not a good barometer for an NCAA season. However, I was very impressed by the depth. Our scoring came from each line. 1 G from Line 1, 3Gs from Line 2, 2 Gs from Line 3, 1 G from Line 4, 1 G from the d, 1 G from PP. Our special teams will get much better, they haven't practiced. This was basically a second day scrimmage against an inferior opponent, but an experienced opponent who has been playing games for a week. We saw individual skills last night. Now the coaches can coach and practice and meld it into a cohesive unit (TEAM). We have more depth than last year and that will help down the stretch. Duncs and Osh will each throw in their 25+ goals. If we can get 15-20 from a player on each of the next two lines, we will be tough to beat. A constantly fresh fourth line made up of the players we had on the fourth line will be a gift also.

It was stated earlier on this board that Trupp looked extremely small in person. Anyone at the game agree with this? He didn't look that way on TV.

He is small. He made Dunc and Bina look tall, uhm, taller. He's fiesty and not afraid to use the body. He may be worthy of #19. We'll see. I was impressed by all the freshman that played. Most exhibited a physicality that is soooo Fighting Sioux hockey.

I see TJ is listed at 192. Wasn't he listed for 170 or so last year.

He was for a while, but I believe it was changed to 182 later, which was closer to being correct.

Wow that's a lot of muscle. That certainly makes his pro prospects stronger. He always played like a big man, but now he is.

On media day, I thought it looked as if TJ had added quite a bit of muscle in the neck and shoulder area.

It was fun to be back at the rink last night! I thought most of the team skated very well. As for the debate between LaPoint and Marto, Marto definitely looked more comfortable out there than LaPoint last night. That doesn't mean that Marto gets the spot over him or that he is any less talented than we all thought, all it means is he was a little shaky his first time in a Sioux jersey. LaPoint was on the ice and out of position on Manitobas first two goals, take that for what it is worth. I agree with the majority that neither of them will take the place of our returning starting five, but I can see Hak giving both of the freshman equal time and opportunity to prove themselves. It seems a few of us have already given that sixth spot to LaPoint, but from what I saw last night, Marto looked pretty damn good. GO SIOUX!

I agree that Marto looked better out there than Lapointe. Jake jumped into the play nicely a couple times, and I didn't notice him negatively in our end. I am not sure who will get the PT this year.

The second and third lines looked like they had some good chemistry, which is fantastic this early in the year.

One thing that did jump out at me was a foul up by Frattin on one shift. I caught all 3 forwards on that first line by the left circle in the offensive zone. Frattin needs to stay at home there. It was Duncan's side of the ice, and the center can always help out, but that off winger needs to camp out by the other circle under that circumstance and be prepared to drive the net or go into the corner to dig out a puck. Can't have 3 guys in one corner, that looks like squirts.

Watching the game again on DVR....man, this is going to be a FUN FUN season this year. I think our juniors are going to step up more than imagined. Toews will be missed no doubt, but it isn't going to be as bad as I thought offensively. The freshman forwards looked real good.

Freshman forwards in my opinion after last night:

1) Trupp

2) Malone

3) Frattin

Frattin seemed a little out of sorts. Wasn't a hard worker in the corners and didn't seem to click well with Osh and Duncs. It's only one game so we'll see. I think Frattin has the most talent in that pool of frosh tho.

Watching the game again on DVR....man, this is going to be a FUN FUN season this year. I think our juniors are going to step up more than imagined. Toews will be missed no doubt, but it isn't going to be as bad as I thought offensively. The freshman forwards looked real good.

1) Trupp

2) Malone

3) Frattin

Frattin seemed a little out of sorts. Wasn't a hard worker in the corners and didn't seem to click well with Osh and Duncs. It's only one game so we'll see. I think Frattin has the most talent in that pool of frosh tho.

Were you watching the same game as me. Hennessey had Frattin as one of the stars of the game because of how he fit in on that line, and I would have to agree.

1) Trupp

2) Malone

3) Frattin

I thought that Malone looked real good. He's going to be tough to play against. I had forgotten that Brian Lee had left until midway in the first period. (Not really)

Frattin looked pretty good, but the OFD line wasn't as dynamic as it needs to be. I'm sure it will come.

Trupp looked tentative as all get out in the first period, but he really came on.

Of course that's just my opinion.

I think we're going to have a great year.

Yea, about Lee...when you see that no one works with Chorney on the PP the way he did you'll realize it sucks he's gone. And don't say Bina- it's not close. Cuz i'm pretty sure i saw Finley out on the PP at one point last night and lets face it- that should never happen

naw.

Were you watching the same game as me. Hennessey had Frattin as one of the stars of the game because of how he fit in on that line, and I would have to agree.

I'm not the only one that thought the way I did...I think Frattin played well in the third period. I was watching him pretty intensely to see what he brought and it didn't seem like he made as many plays as the other two guys.

Yea, about Lee...when you see that no one works with Chorney on the PP the way he did you'll realize it sucks he's gone. And don't say Bina- it's not close. Cuz i'm pretty sure i saw Finley out on the PP at one point last night and lets face it- that should never happen

I've never bashed Lee and don't intend to here, but you need to revisit last year's PP experience. Bina replaced Lee on the top PP unit in the second half of the year, and the PP never looked back. It was as dominant a Sioux PP as I've ever seen, and Lee never got back onto the top unit.

I'm not the only one that thought the way I did...I think Frattin played well in the third period. I was watching him pretty intensely to see what he brought and it didn't seem like he made as many plays as the other two guys.

That's your standard for a freshman? Make as many plays as Oshie and Duncan. Don't you think your expectations need to be tempered a bit. Hak and Hennessey both thought he played really well, I'll go with that.

One thing that did jump out at me was a foul up by Frattin on one shift. I caught all 3 forwards on that first line by the left circle in the offensive zone. Frattin needs to stay at home there. It was Duncan's side of the ice, and the center can always help out, but that off winger needs to camp out by the other circle under that circumstance and be prepared to drive the net or go into the corner to dig out a puck. Can't have 3 guys in one corner, that looks like squirts.

It's called close puck support - and it happens all the time at the college level and NHL, especially when there is a battle for the puck.

Coaches don't mind 3 guys on one side, as long as one player is "above" the puck.

I've never bashed Lee and don't intend to here, but you need to revisit last year's PP experience. Bina replaced Lee on the top PP unit in the second half of the year, and the PP never looked back. It was as dominant a Sioux PP as I've ever seen, and Lee never got back onto the top unit.

I have to agree with JK, I think the PP was much improved when Bina was added to it last year. I'm not bashing Lee here, but he did seem to struggle at times. I also think Genoway could be effective on the PP this year, he seems very comfortable with the puck, and moves it well.

That's your standard for a freshman? Make as many plays as Oshie and Duncan. Don't you think your expectations need to be tempered a bit. Hak and Hennessey both thought he played really well, I'll go with that.

I NEVER said he was supposed to make as many plays. I stated that Trupp and Malone outplayed him for most of the game and that he didn't click well with Osh and Duncs I didn't think. Just my opinion. The third period Frattin was skating much better and started showing his skills more I thought.

It's called close puck support - and it happens all the time at the college level and NHL, especially when there is a battle for the puck.

Coaches don't mind 3 guys on one side, as long as one player is "above" the puck.

Agreed. Its also not a problem to have all three forwards below the goal line sometimes. It really depends on how smart your guys are.

If the third/high guy senses that possession can be maintained by dropping below the goal line on the weak side, opposite side of puck, then having one of the strong side guys chip it over behind the net to the weak side is a good play.

Its used all the time at the pro level and I wouldn't be surprised if Oshie and Duncan also have the green light to do it. Just watch Detroit for an example.

Wow, I would've gotten chewed out for leaving my side of the rink back in the day. I never thought of it as strategy. I've always complained whenever I've seen it, and I agree; I have seen it happen at the pro level.

It just seems to me that the tighter your forwards are grouped in the offensive zone, the less likely that situation is to turn into an opportunity. The puck moves faster than anyone's feet are capable (even Marion Gaborik). I prefer to have someone stay at home. I don't complain about 3 guys low as long as they are spread out.

Just the opinion of an old washed up, never was

I NEVER said he was supposed to make as many plays. I stated that Trupp and Malone outplayed him for most of the game and that he didn't click well with Osh and Duncs I didn't think. Just my opinion. The third period Frattin was skating much better and started showing his skills more I thought.

Sorry, I thought you meant the other two guys on his line.