SiouxSports.com Forum

Protest at Homecoming

GeauxSioux

Nickname opponents to protest at Homecoming game

UND students and representatives from the American Indian Movement group in Minneapolis plan to protest UND's continued use of the Fighting Sioux nickname during UND Homecoming events Saturday.

The student group BRIDGES, Building Roads Into Diverse Groups Empowering Students, plans to protest from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday outside the Alerus Center before UND's football game against Augustana College, according to a news release.

UND students and representatives from the American Indian Movement group in Minneapolis plan to protest UND's continued use of the Fighting Sioux nickname during UND Homecoming events Saturday.

The student group BRIDGES, Building Roads Into Diverse Groups Empowering Students, plans to protest from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday outside the Alerus Center before UND's football game against Augustana College, according to a news release.

A post to make Teeder11 happy. :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is another thread in the football section on this. Like I said in that one..."Don't say a word to these people. They will videotaping things and selectively edit things to favor their cause." Just keep walking folks.

Agreed. Don't give the nuts any ammunition to work with. The best way to piss them off is to ignore them and not even look at them.

There is another thread in the football section on this. Like I said in that one..."Don't say a word to these people. They will videotaping things and selectively edit things to favor their cause." Just keep walking folks.

Just leave them alone and don't cause an incident, that is all we need to have on film. One person will say something it gets on camera and they will label the whole town as a wrotten bunch of apples.

I came to the same conclusion as you gentlemen when I read the article in the paper this morning. I view it as a sort of "instigating" move on their part, they would like nothing more than to get some sort of reaction out of the crowd, i.e: comment/gesture. Same thing happened in the past at one of the UND hockey games, their protesting apparently drew some comments/gestures from people and cars going by and we were reading it in the papers not long afterwards. One of their responces was......"our true colors were showing". 10,000+ at the game on Saturday, what are the chances?

I totally agree. I live in St.Cloud and have to put up with the protests every time I go to A SCSU-UND event. I don't say a word, just smile and walk by. Just had to add this... I was attending the picnic to welcome the new international students to campus as I am a host family for students from China. I was wearing my UND t-shirt with the logo on it and the new President of SCSU came over to welcome me and thank me for being a host family. He looked at my shirt and didn't say a word, just smiled. Glad that the new one is not like the old president.

I totally agree. I live in St.Cloud and have to put up with the protests every time I go to A SCSU-UND event. I don't say a word, just smile and walk by. Just had to add this... I was attending the picnic to welcome the new international students to campus as I am a host family for students from China. I was wearing my UND t-shirt with the logo on it and the new President of SCSU came over to welcome me and thank me for being a host family. He looked at my shirt and didn't say a word, just smiled. Glad that the new one is not like the old president.

I agree. I like the new President. The old one was just an insufferable malcontent.

I remember GrahamKracker protesting outside the Ralph. I think the number of protesters numbered in the single digits. He was verbally abusive to fans and trying to instigate a fight with fans. Most ignored him, a couple exchanged words with him and 1 or 2 fans in cars yelled stuff at him. He was the instigator but he managed to turn things around and blamed the hockey fans for imagined, unfounded and out and out false abuse.

JUST IGNORE THEM!!!!

I remember GrahamKracker protesting outside the Ralph. I think the number of protesters numbered in the single digits. He was verbally abusive to fans and trying to instigate a fight with fans. Most ignored him, a couple exchanged words with him and 1 or 2 fans in cars yelled stuff at him. He was the instigator but he managed to turn things around and blamed the hockey fans for imagined, unfounded and out and out false abuse.

JUST IGNORE THEM!!!!

Thats why it would be nice to tape them back like. They can't spin it when the truth is caught on tape although they would probably spin us taping them to mean we didn't trust them or some trash ike that. I am just afraid that the people who don't read this board won't leave them alone.

I am just afraid that the people who don't read this board won't leave them alone.

That's what I fear, too. There's almost always someone too drunk or too dumb who can't resist taking the bait. :)

I wonder if the protestor in my avatar will be there with her sign? :)

That's what I fear, too. There's almost always someone too drunk or too dumb who can't resist taking the bait. :)

I wonder if the protestor in my avatar will be there with her sign? :)

I think we here at Siouxsports should be good examples and not to be afraid of speaking to people that take the bait and talk back to the protesters. Once at a hockey game at SCSU some young Sioux fans took the bait. I quickly stepped in and said, it's not worth it. We're here to cheer on our hockey team and not debate. Let's go Sioux and we walked away. The one of the fans friends said they were glad I stepped in. Let's have our lawyers do our talking. GO SIOUX!

I think it's important that 9 UND students and staff, and probably 20 "imports" from St. Cloud and MSP have something to do besides drink decaf lattes and try out the new Birkenstocks. :)

Well the good thing here is only two of them will be missing work and apparently they already had permission to close the 7-11 early. :)

UND is going to change the name. With the move to D1 we are having some big problems with scheduling and that includes U of Mn., and U of Wisconcisn. Both of them are in our prime recruiting areas and those kids who will come to UND to play, that might be D1 recruited walk-ons, are more likely to come to a place where periodically they will be able to go up against the so-called big dogs. They want to play rather than sit on the bench at a big school, but they also want the satisfaction of knowing what it is like to play at the highest level. The name isn't worth hurting recruiting or scheduling over.

There are a number of people intersted in the Presidents position at UND who want the issue solved before they come on board. They think they will have better things to do than deal with the activists or NCAA.

The NCAA has admitted off the record they screwed up with the name issue but mainly with not following their own procedures and how it was handled. They can lose the lawsuit, come back and if they follow their own guidelines, they can make it stick next time. The name isn't worth losing good candidates for president or hurting relationships with coorporations and governments who may have grant dollars.

Lastly, if the Native American leaders, whomever they may be, keep focusing on the name and blaming their problems on the name issue, instead of leading their people, then indirectly it will hurt their kids and it is no longer worth the hassle. The leadership on many of the reservations is so inadequate that if getting rid of the name helps only a handful of kids then lets change and get on with life.

The only way I would even consider keeping the name would be if the tribes (without prompting) came back to UND and requested the name be kept. ( I am pretty sure that won't happen). I would also require they put their money where their mouths have been and start cooperative programs for their youth to make sure the kids are healthy and safe and properly educated. I have worked with schools and programs for those kids and the kids themselves will tell you the biggest problems they have are their own parents and tribal leaders. They want to allowed to be kids. They could care less what the excuses are but they don't want to have the violence, drug use and umemployment used as excuses for dysfunctional families. They could care less about most of the cultural things until they get older. That is the sma ewith almost all kids. They just want to fit in and be kids and enjoy the same things other kids do. Unless the Fighting Sioux name can help those kids it is time to change. I have always thought it could and should be used to help reservation kids, be you can't fight the ignorance and racial bias we often face in dealing with the leadership at the reservations in order to accomplish what could have been done.

It was done with respect and honor by UND, with the approval of the vast majority of Native Americans in the state and the logo is outstanding but it is going to have to change and it isn't worth fighting over anymore. I also believe the wheels of change are already rolling and the change will come within the next year or two.

UND is going to change the name. With the move to D1 we are having some big problems with scheduling and that includes U of Mn., and U of Wisconcisn. Both of them are in our prime recruiting areas and those kids who will come to UND to play, that might be D1 recruited walk-ons, are more likely to come to a place where periodically they will be able to go up against the so-called big dogs. They want to play rather than sit on the bench at a big school, but they also want the satisfaction of knowing what it is like to play at the highest level. The name isn't worth hurting recruiting or scheduling over.

There are a number of people intersted in the Presidents position at UND who want the issue solved before they come on board. They think they will have better things to do than deal with the activists or NCAA.

The NCAA has admitted off the record they screwed up with the name issue but mainly with not following their own procedures and how it was handled. They can lose the lawsuit, come back and if they follow their own guidelines, they can make it stick next time. The name isn't worth losing good candidates for president or hurting relationships with coorporations and governments who may have grant dollars.

Lastly, if the Native American leaders, whomever they may be, keep focusing on the name and blaming their problems on the name issue, instead of leading their people, then indirectly it will hurt their kids and it is no longer worth the hassle. The leadership on many of the reservations is so inadequate that if getting rid of the name helps only a handful of kids then lets change and get on with life.

The only way I would even consider keeping the name would be if the tribes (without prompting) came back to UND and requested the name be kept. ( I am pretty sure that won't happen). I would also require they put their money where their mouths have been and start cooperative programs for their youth to make sure the kids are healthy and safe and properly educated. I have worked with schools and programs for those kids and the kids themselves will tell you the biggest problems they have are their own parents and tribal leaders. They want to allowed to be kids. They could care less what the excuses are but they don't want to have the violence, drug use and umemployment used as excuses for dysfunctional families. They could care less about most of the cultural things until they get older. That is the sma ewith almost all kids. They just want to fit in and be kids and enjoy the same things other kids do. Unless the Fighting Sioux name can help those kids it is time to change. I have always thought it could and should be used to help reservation kids, be you can't fight the ignorance and racial bias we often face in dealing with the leadership at the reservations in order to accomplish what could have been done.

It was done with respect and honor by UND, with the approval of the vast majority of Native Americans in the state and the logo is outstanding but it is going to have to change and it isn't worth fighting over anymore. I also believe the wheels of change are already rolling and the change will come within the next year or two.

I speak French: "I give up" .... "I surrender" I disagree with the assessment that change is coming. One does not spend thousands on a lawsuit only to change one or two years later. The name doesn't "hurt" anyone.

Go Fighting Cavalry! (Sicatoka's idea, IIRC)

Colors of Royal Blue, Gold, and White. We can even have a mascot then! :)

I'm still proud to be Fighting Sioux, but I'm thinking that it may be the beginning of the end for the nickname. I do believe that we should dictate the change, though, not the NCAA. I think we should win the lawsuit then hold a press conference stating that we will change the name. Sure, it will pose questions on why we paid for the lawsuit, but it will also put us in position to change the name on our own terms.

I also say that only UND students and alumni will have a direct say in what the name will change to. The tribes, the yahoos from MSP and SCSU, and so on can just sit back and watch.

No, I don't think any Native American programs should cease or lose funding. But I do think that, if there is any specialized treatment of Native American students in the slightest, it should end. No student organization, minority driven or otherwise, will have any more powerful voice than the next (with the exception of the Student Senate of course).

Of course, if the Native Americans wish to send goodwill, they can always help pay for the remodeling of the REA. If they don't, then we'll remodel it our way. And who cares if some yahoo thinks taking a jackhammer to the logos on the floor is hostile and abusive. They have to go. We'd no longer be the Sioux.