SiouxSports.com Forum

Where is the most unexpected place you have run in to a UND student /

siouxnami

I flew out to Vegas last summer and as I got on the plane the pilot recognized I was wearing a Sioux shirt and explained he was a UND grad. We chatted a bit as people walked in. As we were getting into Vegas he came on the microphone and announced landing time, temperature, etc. and before he hung up the microphone he said "Go Sioux." To make the story even better, I was on a blackjack table at the Golden Nugget and had been tippin' back on Grandpa's cough medicine for majority of the day and for some reason decided it was necessary to stand up and say "Sioux, yeah, yeah" and immediately somebody sitting at a table a little ways away stood up and hollered "Yeah, Sioux, Sioux." It turned out he was from Florida, but had went to UND and still followed the Sioux closely....Pretty crazy but a lot of fun!

Not exactly on topic, but I thought I would share this little nugget. I was in Boston last week for a conference. I took a little time off to do the tourist thing. I was talking to a National Park Service ranger and he asked where I was from. I said, "Grand Forks, ND." His response was, "Oh, the Fighting Sioux." He then went on to say that a lot of the kids around Boston were buying Fighting Sioux shirts because they love the logo.

My wife and I ran into a couple people down in Orlando in one of the Disney theme parks. Thought that was pretty cool. The best part about seeing someone in a different town wearing Sioux gear is the fact that all you have to say is "Go Sioux!!" and nothing more needs to be said.

I live in Bismarck and was also surprised at how many Sioux fans live here. I have seen quite a few since I moved back here after school, but the best was the day after we beat Michigan 8-5. My wife, son and I were head to toe Sioux gear and we went to the mall and had no less than ten people ask questions about last nights game and/or comments about the game. I was surprised how many fans come out of the woodworks.

As far as I am concerned, the best fan to be is a Sioux fan. GO SIOUX!!!! Today and always.

DEc.24,2006, flying on United Airlines from MSP_-Chicago to Beijing China and talking with a flight attendant. We discussed where we were from and he was from the Twin Cities. Told him I was from ND but working in central MN. Started talking schools and he told me he went to UND from 1979-1984. I was there from 1980-85! Talked hockey for hours.I was flying coach so he went up into first class, came back with a bottle of champange, candy, crackers and cheese, all wrapped nicely in a fancy napkin. Enjoyed the rest of the flight eating first class. Two days later ran into him and other flight attendants in downtown Beijing China shopping. We both saw each other and shouted out, "GO SIOUX! "

Hate to post twice in a row, but on my way back from China now and on 8-4-07 was on a layover in Tokyo Japan. Saw several men in USA basketball shirts. Minutes later the coaching staff walked by and Rich Glas(former mens basketball coach for UND) was one of the coaches. Talked to him for several minutes and he said the team, from Northern Iowa was playing in a tourney I believe he said in Thailand.

Not too crazy, but at a Twins game recently I wore a Sioux hat. Outside the dome, a father and son said "Go Sioux!". The concessions guy said my hat was "sweet" and he would be attending UND this year...asked me a bit about it. As we made our way down to the seats, and usher spotted our UND hats and said "nice hats fellas!". Also ran into a guy wearing a sioux shirt in the concourse...UND fans are EVERYWHERE!!!!

I flew out to Vegas last summer and as I got on the plane the pilot recognized I was wearing a Sioux shirt and explained he was a UND grad. We chatted a bit as people walked in. As we were getting into Vegas he came on the microphone and announced landing time, temperature, etc. and before he hung up the microphone he said "Go Sioux." To make the story even better, I was on a blackjack table at the Golden Nugget and had been tippin' back on Grandpa's cough medicine for majority of the day and for some reason decided it was necessary to stand up and say "Sioux, yeah, yeah" and immediately somebody sitting at a table a little ways away stood up and hollered "Yeah, Sioux, Sioux." It turned out he was from Florida, but had went to UND and still followed the Sioux closely....Pretty crazy but a lot of fun!

That is the best, right there.

I would have answered you too!

about a month ago, i took the tour at the US Olympic Center in Colorado Springs and a guy right behind me had a sioux shirt on, so we chatted for a bit and turns out know some same people from school. i've probably seen a good 10 sioux bumper stickers on cars out here and am looking forward to finding a "sioux bar" to watch some games this year.

I was a "puck bunny" (Sioux jersey, skirt, heels, heavy makeup, enormous wig) for Halloween and we went to this piano bar near Wrigley Field in Chicago. As we got out of the cab, the bouncer in front of the bar flagged me down. I think he said he graduated UND in 94 or 95. He didnt make me pay the cover that night.

I was a "puck bunny" (Sioux jersey, skirt, heels, heavy makeup, enormous wig) for Halloween and we went to this piano bar near Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Did you just use your jersey, skirt, heels, heavy makeup, and enormous wig from your puck bunny days in college on Halloween? :blush:

Back to the subject, I don't know if they were UND students, but I certainly wouldn't expect to run into UND jerseys being worn at the Bloomington Jefferson hockey practices at the Bloomington Ice Gardens after last season's sweep at Mariucci. One of their coaches (I believe it was of one of the squirt programs) was proudly donning his jersey on Sunday morning. I also had a bet with my son's Kennedy mite coaches and both of them ran Sunday's practices wearing my green and white jerseys. Good times!

7 years living in Houston I only ran into UND clothing twice. At a Target near Reliant Stadium and the wife of a coworker was a UND grad. Several UND hockey players were on the Aero's roster during those years but I never ran into them.

I have been in Seattle now for 2 months and I have come across UND people 5 or 6 times already. I guess Seattle has a lot more UND folks than Houston does.

Did you just use your jersey, skirt, heels, heavy makeup, and enormous wig from your puck bunny days in college on Halloween? :blush:

Back to the subject, I don't know if they were UND students, but I certainly wouldn't expect to run into UND jerseys being worn at the Bloomington Jefferson hockey practices at the Bloomington Ice Gardens after last season's sweep at Mariucci. One of their coaches (I believe it was of one of the squirt programs) was proudly donning his jersey on Sunday morning. I also had a bet with my son's Kennedy mite coaches and both of them ran Sunday's practices wearing my green and white jerseys. Good times!

Haha...my puck bunny days in college never came to pass as I was one of the band geeks in the upper corner of the Ralph! :D

As a broke Masters student, I needed a cheap costume, so I just used what I had in my closet, and bought a big curly blond wig. I carried a sign too with stupid crap like "D-men can body-check me anytime" and "I heart Crosby"..yada yada...it was quite ridiculous which made it all the more hilarious.

I think next year I'm going as a band geek, I just have to find my marching shoes....

June, 2001. Munich, Germany. Stumbling out of a bathroom in a beer hall. Dude was wearing a UND Sweatshirt. We were both drunk.

I felt pride!

:blush:

In 2003, I was walking along a beach in a tiny, off the beaten path town in Jalisco, Mexico when I saw a dude coming toward me with the dreaded NDSU Bison t-shirt on... I was wearing my UND Fighting Sioux t-shirt. Classic exchange. He grinned and said quietly pointing at my t-shirt, "Sioux suck, they always have and they always will." I grinned and said quietly back to him, "Buck the Fison." We both laughed and kept going our separate ways.

A few years back (5 or 6 I think), I was in NYC visiting my little brother. We were on top of the Empire State Building and ran into a guy wearing a UND sweater. It turned out to be Andy Schneider's dad and his family. He was there to see the Sioux on an East Coast swing to Princeton and Yale. My brother and I ended up taking the train to both Princeton, NJ and New Haven, Conn and caught both games...both of which the Sioux won. The Yale game also had a huge fight which was a bonus!

Living in Southern California I see lots of UND alumni at Hockey games, or at Twins or Vikings games.

One time in the Los Angeles area I spotted a guy wearing a nice Sioux jersey at a local restaurant. He admitted that he had never been to North Dakota but that he was huge Sioux hockey fan, and the Sioux jersey is his favorite. Of course I complemented him on his good taste.

March of '05, I think, we just ended the Gophers season. The next day I took my youngest son to the Mayo P.T. who happend to be from Grand Forks. She liked the jerseys and hats. Turns out her husband is a Gopher fan.

Also I have seen UND sweatshirts, jerseys, hats, etc. at every local powow for the last 10 years. Not everybody mind you, but enough to make you wonder.

last month was in seattle, went and ate at the top of the space needle, coming down on the elavator a guy noticed my sioux hat and asked if i knew who tj oshie was and that he was very big around there!! i said, yeah, hes a decent player :whistling: he started laughing as he caught my sarcasm

also driving as i was moving back to az last september from minny i was in new mexico somewhere and waiting in line to pay for a 6 pack of monster energy drinks (gotta stay awake driving a 18 hour day) the clerk was reading my frozen 4 shirt from milwaukee and said he loved the logo being a native american and that he watched the sioux play hockey on tv only because that he caught the logo on espn, 1st hockey game he has ever watched he said