SiouxSports.com Forum

2008 Roster

siouxnami

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Finley going? The American Hockey League?

isnt that where the majority of them go anyways to stat their hopefully nhl careers?? smaby, jones, greene, roche, lee and so on all started there and some still there like many other players unless you are toews, zajac, kessel or EJ. pretty standard if you ask me

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest list of player that could be here in 2008:

2008 Forwards (19):

• TJ Oshie
  • Ryan Duncan
  • Andrew Kozek
  • Ryan Martens
  • Brad Miller
  • Matt Watkins
  • Chris VandeVelde
  • Darcy Zajac
  • Michael Forney
  • Brad Malone
  • Evan Trupp
  • Matt Frattin
  • Brent Davidson
  • David Toews
  • Brett Bruneteau
  • Mike Cichy
  • Brett Hextall
  • Jason Gregoire
  • Mario Lamoureux

2008 Defense (10):
    • Taylor Chorney
    • Joe Finley
    • Zach Jones
    • Chay Genoway
    • Derrick LaPoint
    • Jake Marto
    • Ben Blood
    • Corey Fienhage
    • Joe Gleason
    • Someone Else???

2008 Goalies (3):

• Aaron Walski
      • Landon Snider
      • Brad Eidness
      • Someone Else???

Possible or Likely Departures Include:

[*]TJ Oshie - very likely

[*]Taylor Chorney - very likely

[*]Joe Finley - likely

[*]Ryan Duncan - likely

[*]Chris VandeVelde - very possible

[*]Matt Watkins - very possible

[*]Andrew Kozek - very possible

[*]Landon Snider - chance (my guess is he stays with the team as a 3rd goaltender

[*]Michael Forney - chance (I hope not because I thought he was outstanding in the last game he played, but he is not getting playing time so we will see)

I'm guessing we end up with 15 - 17 forwards, 7 -8 D (with the possibility of another recruit), and 3 (goalies with the chance of another recruit).

Here is the latest list of player that could be here in 2008:

2008 Forwards (19):

• TJ Oshie
  • Ryan Duncan
  • Andrew Kozek
  • Ryan Martens
  • Brad Miller
  • Matt Watkins
  • Chris VandeVelde
  • Darcy Zajac
  • Michael Forney
  • Brad Malone
  • Evan Trupp
  • Matt Frattin
  • Brent Davidson
  • David Toews
  • Brett Bruneteau
  • Mike Cichy
  • Brett Hextall
  • Jason Gregoire
  • Mario Lamoureux

2008 Defense (10):
    • Taylor Chorney
    • Joe Finley
    • Zach Jones
    • Chay Genoway
    • Derrick LaPoint
    • Jake Marto
    • Ben Blood
    • Corey Fienhage
    • Joe Gleason
    • Someone Else???

2008 Goalies (3):

• Aaron Walski
      • Landon Snider
      • Brad Eidness
      • Someone Else???

Possible or Likely Departures Include:

[*]TJ Oshie - very likely

[*]Taylor Chorney - very likely

[*]Joe Finley - likely

[*]Ryan Duncan - likely

[*]Chris VandeVelde - very possible

[*]Matt Watkins - very possible

[*]Andrew Kozek - very possible

[*]Landon Snider - chance (my guess is he stays with the team as a 3rd goaltender

[*]Michael Forney - chance (I hope not because I thought he was outstanding in the last game he played, but he is not getting playing time so we will see)

I'm guessing we end up with 15 - 17 forwards, 7 -8 D (with the possibility of another recruit), and 3 (goalies with the chance of another recruit).

VV, Watkins and Kozek I think are a stretch. But nothing suprises me when $$ are in the equation. I agree with your "likely(s)". Forney is interesting. I agree he look pretty good the last time out. Can't figure out why he is not getting more ice time? If continues not to play, he might bolt?

With Bruneteau missing over a month of hockey lately, do you think there is a chance he will delay a here and try to get healthy?

that is an interesting question. he has missed quite a bit of time which leads me to believe it was a fairly severe concussion, and they are being cautious, as they should. if he has any lingering post-concussion problems, he may miss some extended time, which may delay him a year, but this is all speculation. wish him all the best and can't wait to see him in a sioux sweater. having lived in omaha for a while, i have to root for the omaha kid :D

Very doubtful Forney is going anywhere. He is the (I think) 2nd youngest on the roster right now. He is working hard and is finally able to lift weights to help to get stronger. We're talking about a kid that has been snake-bit, to say the least over the past two years.

He has the skills to be successful at this level. Before his career is over at UND, I think he will show us that.

Very doubtful Forney is going anywhere. He is the (I think) 2nd youngest on the roster right now. He is working hard and is finally able to lift weights to help to get stronger. We're talking about a kid that has been snake-bit, to say the least over the past two years.

He has the skills to be successful at this level. Before his career is over at UND, I think he will show us that.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play in the future myself.

i look forward to see what forney can do in his last 2 seasons with the sioux. surgeries can be a huge setback in anyones life and especially if you are playing top level hockey. go forney!

VV, Watkins and Kozek I think are a stretch. But nothing suprises me when $$ are in the equation. I agree with your "likely(s)". Forney is interesting. I agree he look pretty good the last time out. Can't figure out why he is not getting more ice time? If continues not to play, he might bolt?

oshie, duncan, chorney and finey are gone. book it. then a few are a crapshoot really. thanks for the list. hak obviously doesnt think forney is ready to get that ice time or he thinks others give us a better chance. cant wait to see forney the next 2 seasons!

C - Ryan Duncan (don't think he'll leave)

A - Matt Watkins

A - Zach Jones

A - Chay Genoway

If Duncs does leave:

C - Chay Genoway

A - Matt Watkins

A - Zach Jones

A - Evan Trupp

You can throw VV in anywhere if he stays, but I think he's gone. Something just says that to me.

Why? Because of the rate he's been tearing up the opposition? :D

its what the organization wants him to do so if the oilers think hes ready for the AHL then he may be gone. i think vande will play 3 years and duncan will be gone along with oshie, chorney and finley.

VV is not ready for the NHL.

I think that we are going to have a surplus of really good players. I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys get sent back to junior for another year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some upper classmen get bumped.

like who to juniors for another year?

bruneteau? and maybe 1 or 2 arent with the team anymore? like who? just wondering your thoughts on who as you mentioned that. i agree with somethings may happen or have the unexpected departures, VV doesnt have to be ready for the NHL to leave, thats where people are jumping the gun. very rarely you go to the NHL from college without a year in the AHL, thats where he would go. unless you are toews, EJ, ect....you will play in the AHL for at least a season. 5 scratches at forward isnt likely so im guessing there may be a couple roster adjustments or the coaches already know something therefor hes bringing in the right amount of players. who knows but its fun to speculate

I dunno. Cichy is still really young. Bruneteau was not having a good year for a 3rd year USHL player, even before he was concussed.

If Duncs comes back we have a lot of forwards.

Hextall has good numbers. Gregoire has good numbers. Cichy has good numbers. Toews has good numbers.

It just seems like we have a lot of good players committed for next year

I dunno. Cichy is still really young. Bruneteau was not having a good year for a 3rd year USHL player, even before he was concussed.

Hextall has good numbers. Gregoire has good numbers. Cichy has good numbers. Toews has good numbers.

cichy is ready just like toews, gregoire and hextall. im sure the coaches know whats up with who they are recruiting and what years they come in. duncan isnt coming back.

Cichy is a big time player, he will be here. He is the leading scorer on a not so good team. I've seen him play and I have high expectations for him. I think he will step right into the lineup next year and be one of our top fowards by the end of next year.

VV is not ready for the NHL.

I think that we are going to have a surplus of really good players. I wouldn't be surprised to see some guys get sent back to junior for another year. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some upper classmen get bumped.

Was going to mention that earlier but didn't want to get burned at the stake. :D He should come back, dominate as UND's top forward next year and then see what happens after that.

I bet we are bound to see at least one unexpected departure.

But who?

I can't see why VV would want to bolt just yet...it took him almost all of last year to get used to the speed of the WCHA...and this year you are starting to see the beginnings of a great player in him. If he comes back next year I think he could be one of the top forwards on the team, if not the league. But he still needs that year of development. If he goes to the AHL, he'll be right back where he was at the beginning of last year, just trying to keep up.

But if he doesn't go, then I don't know who...Kozek? Watkins? Who knows.

I think that Oshie, Finley, and Chorney are gone for sure. 100%. Duncan I am not so sure about. I could see him being about 60/40 that he goes. But he may just stick around for another go at it.

If he stayed, I am not sure what Hakstol would do about the forward situation. You certainly can't have 5-6 forwards not dressing each night.

Finley might come back too. The way his game is improving, I think the collective bargaining agreement might keep him around, unless of course Washington shows him big time money. Washington just dumped a boatload into Ovechkin...

Duncan, well, here is what I'm thinking. His numbers are off from last year's Hobey performance. He is still a great player, but he still has to deal with NHL perception of a 5'6 player. His Dad had a brief pro career, so he knows how fickle the league can be. Having an education to fall back on if the big $ isn't there might be enough incentive to stick around.

Its all speculation on the freshmen, although Toews, Cichy, Gregoire and Hextall all sound like big time players.

Assume for a second that Duncs and Finley stay:

I wonder if Miller and Kozek are under the microscope i.e. Hak has said if you don't earn it this year, you are sitting next year.

Clearly Forney, Davison and Martens are also under this microscope in practice.

For THIS year, I still think we should split up Duncs and Osh, except for on the PP

Move Kaip back to Center on the third scoring line:

VV centering Trupp and Duncan (scoring 1)

Oshie centering Watkins and Frattin (scoring 2)

Zajac centering Radke and Malone (checking)

Kaip centering Kozek and Miller (scoring 3)

Oshie centering Duncan and Trupp (pp1)

VV centering Frattin and Kozek (pp2)

Kaip and Duncan (pk1)

VV and Oshie (pk2)

I like the D:

Chorney and Bina

Finley and Genoway

Jones and Marto (we've been winning without Lapoint)