SiouxSports.com Forum

2008 Roster

siouxnami

I only post this know because there is alot of talk about 2008 recruits and I wanted to point out just how limited space will be for additional players.

Players that may still have eligibility but are likely to be gone:

T.J. Oshie, Brian Lee, Taylor Chorney Joe Finley

Returning Players

Forwards (12)

Ryan Duncan, Andrew Kozek, Ryan Martens, Brad Miller, Matt Watkins, Shea Hamilton, Chris VandeVelde, Darcy Zajac, Michael Forney, Brad Malone, Evan Trupp, Brett Hextall

Defense (4)

Zach Jones, Chay Genoway, Derrick LaPoint, Jake Marto

Goaltenders (2)

Aaron Walski, Anthony Grieco

I also put 5 forward in italics since if any of those 5 were to have a breakout year they could also be a flight risk.

Elite Freshman Class (likely to be tops in the nation)

Forwards (4)

Brett Bruneteau, Mike Cichy, Matt Frattin, Jason Gregoire

Defense (2)

Ben Blood, Joe Gleason

Goaltender (1)

Brad Eidness

This means at present we have 16 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 3 goalies. I have no doubt that we will make room, somehow for a Toews or Lee (likely coaches will know what other players will leave early). We also have no need for another goaltender. There is a chance that we could find another defenseman (or 2).

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there will be a spot for him either way.........

Yeah, there will never not be any room for David Toews...I'm sure we'd do whatever it takes to get him here. Hopefully his bro is telling him all the right things about UND.

Yeah, there will never not be any room for David Toews...I'm sure we'd do whatever it takes to get him here. Hopefully his bro is telling him all the right things about UND.

just a matter of time..no rush..year left at shattuck still........

Once again, I see several of you posting that Marto is on the team and Hamilton is gone. Are some of you connected enough to know this is fact or are these your fantasy rosters? Some of you have alredy forgotten to add Gregoire for next season. :silly:

Once again, I see several of you posting that Marto is on the team and Hamilton is gone. Are some of you connected enough to know this is fact or are these your fantasy rosters? Some of you have alredy forgotten to add Gregoire for next season. :silly:

Marto has a signed LOI and can't play juniors, therefore it is a safe deduction that he will be here. AND while we are loaded at D this year, we will be hurting next assuming our 3 top 50 picks are gone. I don't believe the Hamilton stuff, unless I see an official roster.

BTW, next season is 2007 and Gregoire is a 2008, so I don't think they are forgetting him. :silly:

Marto has a signed LOI and can't play juniors, therefore it is a safe deduction that he will be here. AND while we are loaded at D this year, we will be hurting next assuming our 3 top 50 picks are gone. I don't believe the Hamilton stuff, unless I see an official roster.

BTW, next season is 2007 and Gregoire is a 2008, so I don't think they are forgetting him. :silly:

I know Gregoire is an 08 but earlier in this thread some had left him off of their 08 list and maybe they have added him since. We have been through the LOI argument before and it is difficult to imagine how UND will fit Marto onto the the team unless Brian Lee really is going Pro. Or perhaps he will be a red shirt for the upcoming season?

I know Gregoire is an 08 but earlier in this thread some had left him off of their 08 list and maybe they have added him since. We have been through the LOI argument before and it is difficult to imagine how UND will fit Marto onto the the team unless Brian Lee really is going Pro. Or perhaps he will be a red shirt for the upcoming season?

I agree that playing time will be tight, but I think that he will come in, practice, maybe get into a few games, and be ready to go as a Freshman or Sophomore in 08.

marto cant go anywhere else, he is too old.....he would be the odd man out for a year unless he proved otherwise to the coaches...he may be if lee stays or goes as you can use genoway at forward with lapoint coming in as well

A lot of people, including myself thought that Robbie Bina wouldn't see much ice time during his career. He seemed to have surpassed expectations.

True, and no one is saying that Marto won't be a good DI player. However, unless Lee leaves who would Marto displace from current D rotation. As it is, I think we all agree that Genoway is going to likely play forward to accomodate Lapointe.

A lot of people, including myself thought that Robbie Bina wouldn't see much ice time during his career. He seemed to have surpassed expectations.

key word, CAREER, i for sure think marto will be a solid player but i also think he will battle for ice time this COMING season, not career for sure...he wouldnt be coming to UND if he couldnt play! bina is a slid d man, really solid

True, and no one is saying that Marto won't be a good DI player. However, unless Lee leaves who would Marto displace from current D rotation. As it is, I think we all agree that Genoway is going to likely play forward to accomodate Lapointe.

Genoway could very well play some forward and then play the point on one of the powerplay units, but I just like him as more of an impact player at defense. To see him carrying the puck out of our end in a flash is a luxury not all teams have, and between him and Chorney I think we have two who can move it so quickly while making it seem effortless. I would hate to be throwing him back and forth through his four years and have him not reach his full potential at either position. That said, the coaches will have to do what's best for the team next year and into the future. To me it wouldn't be an easy decision to throw him to forward next year, but it could very well give us a better chance to be successful next year. I am confident the coaches will figure out the best way to utilize his talents. Maybe Marto could possibly play a bit of forward, but either way they need a few to make the transition to defense the following year.

Elite Freshman Class (likely to be tops in the nation)

Forwards (4)

Brett Bruneteau, Mike Cichy, Matt Frattin, Jason Gregoire

Well we know we will be but according to the flat belly experts we will probably be behind the Goofers, Michigan, B.C. et al.

;):silly:;):silly:

Well we know we will be but according to the flat belly experts we will probably be behind the Goofers, Michigan, B.C. et al.

;):silly:;):silly:

I think even the "experts" will favor this class. Except Bob Norton, he's going with BU...

I heard that Hamilton walked off the team. I believe it is scholarship related. As in the Sioux were not going to give him one. I also wouldn't be totally surprised to see Grieco play a year of Juniors. I personally don't see how this is possible though. I also think that they may not be room for Radke on this years team. I think there is a chance he could be headed over seas. That is just my opinion though. Take it for what's it's worth. :silly:

I heard that Hamilton walked off the team. I believe it is scholarship related. As in the Sioux were not going to give him one. I also wouldn't be totally surprised to see Grieco play a year of Juniors. I personally don't see how this is possible though. I also think that they may not be room for Radke on this years team. I think there is a chance he could be headed over seas. That is just my opinion though. Take it for what's it's worth. :silly:

i heard about hamilton being gone, i guess we will have to wait for confirmation. there may be the idea of grieco doing a year of juniors but they sure in hell better have a good backup coming in for phil if thats the case, and please spare me the walski trillion saves game for you out there.... therefore i dont see that happening at all with grieco.......i can see radke moving on for sure as he lost his D spot and wont be able to get that back and i dont see him as a forward really, one mans opinion...

I heard that Hamilton walked off the team. I believe it is scholarship related. As in the Sioux were not going to give him one.

Hmmmm... Where there is smoke... Still I'll hold off on that judgment until I see it official.

I also wouldn't be totally surprised to see Grieco play a year of Juniors. I personally don't see how this is possible though.

He is young, but the Sioux REALLY need him behind Phil. Phil can't play 45 games.

I also think that they may not be room for Radke on this years team. I think there is a chance he could be headed over seas. That is just my opinion though. Take it for what's it's worth. :silly:

No way in hell, Kyle is a hard nosed, hard working player who will do whatever is asked of him. We will need him as a senior leader.

Hmmmm... Where there is smoke... Still I'll hold off on that judgment until I see it official.

He is young, but the Sioux REALLY need him behind Phil. Phil can't play 45 games.

No way in hell, Kyle is a hard nosed, hard working player who will do whatever is asked of him. We will need him as a senior leader.

who may not be a regular in the lineup, he lost his d spot and they just stuck him at forward really