SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Hammer was just on KFGO and said that he feels that if Dale is offered the job he will surley take it. He said he's talked to MSU officials and they are very impressed with Coach Lennon and he feels there is good chance he will get that offer. He also noted (as many here have) that Lennon and Buning do not have the best working relationship, and cited the scheduling of Northern Iowa last year as an example. Apparently, Dale was nearing a deal to play the University of Maine, and Buning scheduled the UNI game without Dale having any knowledge of it. Anybody ever hear anything about that? :bigsmile: Hammer said he'd expect an announcement within 3 days. Hammer said he'll have more on his show on Monday night at 7:00 on 1280 The Fan.

He also noted (as many here have) that Lennon and Buning do not have the best working relationship, and cited the scheduling of Northern Iowa last year as an example. Apparently, Dale was nearing a deal to play the University of Maine, and Buning scheduled the UNI game without Dale having any knowledge of it. Anybody ever hear anything about that? :silly:
In retrospect, can anyone argue with the decision of playing (and winning) against Northern Iowa. :bigsmile:

Winning vs UNI did more for recruiting than winning vs Maine.

We had a scheduled game with Mesa State of Colorado, on that weekend.....

It blindsided Dale with the scheduling of UNI, it was about the Benjamins ($) we got 50, 000 to play UNI (Bus Trip), were it would of cost us $50, 000 to fly out and play Mesa State...

Yes, in worked out well, but if we would have lost to UNI, we certainly would have missed the playoffs...

I believe the tought process was that you never take points off the scoreboard , and you certainly should not take a win off your schedule, not that Mesa State was a easy win, but they were a D2 quailifer and more attractive of chance to get a win than UNI....

Also early in the schedule, do you want to risk injury on unlevel playing fields....?

In any instance however, should not your Head Coach be a least part of that decision making process...?

No way, he is far too arrogant and full of himself to associate himself with a classy program like UND. :bigsmile:

I sure hope this was sarcism...? I had the oppurtunity to enjoy lunch and part of the afternoon, and Dinner today with Coach

Bohl at the Bison Open, held in the rain at the Grand Forks Country Club....

He is a "Class Act" very similar to Dale, Roger, Randy, Jeff, and Bubba some of the other Coaches I have been fornuate to associate with, he was very down to earth polite and enjoyable to visit with on many fronts.

Dan Hammer was just on KFGO and said that he feels that if Dale is offered the job he will surley take it. He said he's talked to MSU officials and they are very impressed with Coach Lennon and he feels there is good chance he will get that offer. He also noted (as many here have) that Lennon and Buning do not have the best working relationship, and cited the scheduling of Northern Iowa last year as an example. Apparently, Dale was nearing a deal to play the University of Maine, and Buning scheduled the UNI game without Dale having any knowledge of it. Anybody ever hear anything about that? :bigsmile: Hammer said he'd expect an announcement within 3 days. Hammer said he'll have more on his show on Monday night at 7:00 on 1280 The Fan.

While many of us have known this to be true for some time, this is the first time that I'm aware of that a media member has said it publicly.

In any instance however, should not your Head Coach be a least part of that decision making process...?

Yes, the head coad should have a say in who is going to be scheduled, but he (or she) shouldn't have the final decision. That rests with the AD, who has to weigh an unpopular decision versus the overall health of the department, especially with an impending DI move. What we don't know is if UNI's AD offered this option and gave a short time period to accept it (otherwise UNI would have scheduled someone else). As we go DI, it makes more sense to package football/hockey/basketball scheduling, which isn't popular with any coach.

Buning's decision saved $100 k's and potentially gave UND a home game against UNI two or three years from now. With as much as people on this board complain about ticket costs, Fighting Sioux Club membership, etc, those same people should be applauding the decision.

Without a doubt, Lennon and Fields had to have had this discussion during Lennon's interview. But if Lennon becomes coach of MSU, will he be pleased with opening up against Texas A&M? How much say did Kramer have in scheduling A&M? IAA schools would never schedule games just for the Benjamins. :bigsmile:

IMHO, it's no coincidence that the Sioux athletic department hasn't been facing deficits with Buning at the helm. Somebody has to make tough, unpopular decisions when there's a budget that has to be met and future schedules to be filled.

Is it possible our coaches were allowed more free rein in scheduling because RT gave them that latitude (and deficit problems) when at other similar schools ADs wouldn't have allowed that practice?

What we don't know is if UNI's AD offered this option and gave a short time period to accept it (otherwise UNI would have scheduled someone else). As we go DI, it makes more sense to package football/hockey/basketball scheduling, which isn't popular with any coach.

It should also be noted that the original contract with UNI still calls for 2 more games (contingent on UND, moving to DI which of course we are :silly: ), one of which could be played in GF. Those two games against UNI could prove pretty valuable over the next 5 years during the transition.

As someone who has been a staunch supporter of Buning, I don't like to hear that our best coaches don't get along with him. But I have a hard time believing that Dale would be pursuing this opportunity solely because of the current A.D. As I posted earlier, I feel that Montana St. is one of the top 15 or 20 coaching positions in the FCS and that is why he is pursuing it, and he should. There are probably other factors, (Buning perhaps) but that is just side-dressing. I think it must be pretty enticing to have the opportunity to be the head coach of one of the top 2 programs in one of the top 2 or 3 football conferences in the country.

Good luck to Dale, but I wish even better luck upon Mike Van Diest. :glare::bigsmile:

Is it possible our coaches were allowed more free rein in scheduling because RT gave them that latitude (and deficit problems) when at other similar schools ADs wouldn't have allowed that practice?

My thoughts exactly. RT was a great coach and I will always revere him for what did as coach of UND football. But I never cared for his administrative policies. You make excellent points about Buning having to be the guy to make tough decisions. He inherited RT's budget deficit and balanced it.

Just got back from the Mike Van Diest open forum

attendance- I am guessing there were a 100+ at the DL forum- today there were probably 150-200 people. Yesterday's crowd was more heavily composed of what appeared to be blue-haired boosters, MSU employees, and some members of the community while today had a much heterogeneous crowd.

In his intro MVD talked alot about football in general- also went into detail about his ties with former MSU greats, and Montana in general. mentioned his previous ties with NCAA football as there was a question about his ability to move from NAIA to DI. Said he would bring about 4-5 coaches from CC if he were to come.

There weren't as many questions about academics and character issues today (probably becuase of the crowd composition), obviously MVD said he was for discipline and academics but didn't go into as much detail about how he addresses the subjects as did DL.

As y'all probably know DL is solid and appears genuine while he speaks but MVD was a bit more engaging and dynamic in his presentation (think motivational speaker[not Matt Foley]). He cracked a few jokes early which went over well with what was obviously a pro-MVD audience.

I think the discerning viewer would probably view the open forum as a virtual push between DL and MVD, while "Joe Bobcat Fan" would be more excited about MVD.

MSU would be lucky to have either IMHO :bigsmile:

attendance- I am guessing there were a 100+ at the DL forum- today there were probably 150-200 people. Yesterday's crowd was more heavily composed of what appeared to be blue-haired boosters, MSU employees, and some members of the community while today had a much heterogeneous crowd.

In his intro MVD talked alot about football in general- also went into detail about his ties with former MSU greats, and Montana in general. mentioned his previous ties with NCAA football as there was a question about his ability to move from NAIA to DI. Said he would bring about 4-5 coaches from CC if he were to come.

There weren't as many questions about academics and character issues today (probably becuase of the crowd composition), obviously MVD said he was for discipline and academics but didn't go into as much detail about how he addresses the subjects as did DL.

As y'all probably know DL is solid and appears genuine while he speaks but MVD was a bit more engaging and dynamic in his presentation (think motivational speaker[not Matt Foley]). He cracked a few jokes early which went over well with what was obviously a pro-MVD audience.

I think the discerning viewer would probably view the open forum as a virtual push between DL and MVD, while "Joe Bobcat Fan" would be more excited about MVD.

I agree. In my gut, I hope it's Lennon. You guys are very lucky to have him at UND.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned the A&M game. Basically I-A opponent = $$$$$$$$. We've played one "money" game a year for quite a while and I don't see that changing.

He inherited RT's budget deficit and balanced it.

I really hope someday the truth about these deficits come to light, Roger was the man held accountable, however REA had alot more to do with this then people know. I wish I could get all the facts and figures and have tried, But REA is a private trust not open to public financial audits.

Yes, the head coad should have a say in who is going to be scheduled, but he (or she) shouldn't have the final decision.

He did not want the final decision, only to be asked "What his opinon was"

IAA schools would never schedule games just for the Benjamins. :bigsmile:

UNI did not schedule this for the money(although I'm sure UND garuntee was alot less than a 1AA School), UND did it for the money, If we would have lost, got a kid injured, missed the playoffs, yep thats worth 100k

IMHO, it's no coincidence that the Sioux athletic department hasn't been facing deficits with Buning at the helm. Somebody has to make tough, unpopular decisions when there's a budget that has to be met and future schedules to be filled

Or maybe New Management at the REA...?

Hey Hansel, thanks for your reports on this subject. Alot of us who are familiar with you and your postings appreciate you keeping us updated with first-hand knowledge of what has take place at the meetings. :silly:

He did not want the final decision, only to be asked "What his opinon was"

Understandable. But it also should be considered that the LtC came directly from command/obey military environment where opinions didn't necessarily mean much. While I am sure there may be more issues than the UNI game, if that is really the crux of the issue, Buning looks like a genius and IMHO it's genuinely difficult to be sympathetic to Lennon's stance. Players are expected to be blindly obedient to coaching staff's decisions; is it asking too much for coaches to give the benefit of doubt to their own leader?

UNI did not schedule this for the money(although I'm sure UND garuntee was alot less than a 1AA School), UND did it for the money, If we would have lost, got a kid injured, missed the playoffs, yep thats worth 100k

The reference was to MSU playing Texas A&M. MSU is doing it for the money: they can get kids injured, lose all their confidence, and mess up their playoff chances. On the other hand, Bohl was miffed at Taylor when NDSU scheduled the Gophers, as Bohl wanted another year of recruiting/maturity before that game.

Or maybe New Management at the REA...?

The REA had no track record so the first few years were difficult for everyone. When the REA and Alerus came on line, the main role of the AD switched dramatically from being a mentor to being an accountant. RT didn't become AD to be an accountant.

Understandable. But it also should be considered that the LtC came directly from command/obey military environment where opinions didn't necessarily mean much. While I am sure there may be more issues than the UNI game, if that is really the crux of the issue, Buning looks like a genius and IMHO it's genuinely difficult to be sympathetic to Lennon's stance. Players are expected to be blindly obedient to coaching staff's decisions; is it asking too much for coaches to give the benefit of doubt to their own leader?

The reference was to MSU playing Texas A&M. MSU is doing it for the money: they can get kids injured, lose all their confidence, and mess up their playoff chances. On the other hand, Bohl was miffed at Taylor when NDSU scheduled the Gophers, as Bohl wanted another year of recruiting/maturity before that game.

The REA had no track record so the first few years were difficult for everyone. When the REA and Alerus came on line, the main role of the AD switched dramatically from being a mentor to being an accountant. RT didn't become AD to be an accountant.

Your missing the point star - It's all about RESPECT! I think DL has earned enough respect in his time at UND to at least be asked about playing UNI. Once anyone thinks that his/her boss doesn't respect them if they have any pride at all will look for greener pastures.

Looks like Van Diest has pulled his name from the hat- http://helenair.com/

Check the red scrolling text at the top of the link.

Footballscoop also reports that Lennon will be offered the job today. IIRC, they also 'scooped' Bohl's hiring at NDSU.

Wasn't Lennon offered the job at Sac State, but declined?

At this point, I'd be completely stunned if Lennon is coaching the Sioux in the 2007 season. ;)

Looks like Van Diest has pulled his name from the hat- http://helenair.com/

Check the red scrolling text at the top of the link.

Footballscoop also reports that Lennon will be offered the job today. IIRC, they also 'scooped' Bohl's hiring at NDSU.

Wasn't Lennon offered the job at Sac State, but declined?

I would guess that Van Diest either decided he really wanted to stay in Helena or when he realized that he wasn't going to get the job, he decided to pull out (which is understandable).

It sure appears the Lennon will be offered the job. It will be interesting what his answer will be. It will also be interesting to learn whether we are trying to do anything to convince him to stay with at UND!