SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that Van Diest either decided he really wanted to stay in Helena or when he realized that he wasn't going to get the job, he decided to pull out (which is understandable).

It sure appears the Lennon will be offered the job. It will be interesting what his answer will be. It will also be interesting to learn whether we are trying to do anything to convince him to stay with at UND!

Unless MSU are a bunch of idiots they already have a deal with DL. They informed Van Diest and out of courtesy let him withdraw.

Unless MSU are a bunch of idiots they already have a deal with DL. They informed Van Diest and out of courtesy let him withdraw.

I agree with both statements with the exception that the deal may not be with Lennon. I know, wishful thinking.

When UND Fan says it will be interesting to see if UND is doing anything to try to get Lennon to stay, I dont think Lennon would believe anything the athletic director would tell him or rather offer him to get him to stay.

IF HE DOES IN FACT LEAVE UND , HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WILL HAVE PLAYED A KEY PART IN HIS DECISION TO LEAVE. I AM NOT SAYING HE WONT LEAVE ALSO IN PART BECAUSE HE THINKS IT IS A BETTER OPPORTUNITY FOR HIM, BUT ANYONE IN HIS SITUATION WOULD NO DOUBT WAY ALL THE PROS AND CONS, AND IF YOU CANT STAND WORKING FOR OR TRUST THE PERSON YOU WORK FOR, THAT WOULD WEIGH HEAVILY IN YOUR DECISION PROCESS. AND THAT IS IN FACT HIS CURRENT RELATIONSHIP WITH UND'S ATHLETIC DIRECTOR!

So taking all things into account it will not be a surprise to see him leave. If he stays it could only be for his love of UND and the football program here.

AND SO EVERYONE IS AWARE THE NEXT COACH IN LINE FOR A SITUATION VERY SIMILAR TO THIS ONE IS HAKSTOL. HE IS IN THE LAST YEAR OF HIS CONTRACT AND HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR IS PROBABLY EVEN WORSE THAN LENNON'S. HAKSTOL IS A MAN OF PRINCIPAL AND HOLDS TRUST AS A KEY PART, AND FROM WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD HIS CURRENT REALTIONSHIP WITH THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR COULD IN FACT CAUSE HIM TO LEAVE.

SO I ASK , WHO SHOULD LEAVE! I THINK THE ANSWER IS CLEAR TO EVERYONE. THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR/POLITICIAN HAS OVERSTAYED HIS WELCOME. PLEASE MR BUNING MOVE ON BEFORE WE LOSE ALL OF OUR GREAT COACHES! HE HAS NO WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH MANY OF HIS COACHES, OTHERS IN HIS DEPARTMENT,AND MANY IN THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION. THE DEPARTMENT IS TOTALLY DISFUNCTIONAL AND AT THE PRESENT TIME WITH UND'S SWITCH TO DIVISION 1 IT IS UNACCEPTABLE! THE CAUSE AND RESPONSIBILITY LIES WITH HIM! MR BUNING DO THE RIGHT THING AND QUIT NOW!

yes

Walrus... thank you for sharing your info with us, I certainly appreciate it. But please tell me this: Is it a done deal? (in your opinion of course) ???

Nothing would deflate the last NCC football season like losing Dale. I'm a Sioux fan, yes... but that would just leave a sour taste for the whole season. :silly:;)

I am guessing the "decision" will be made today (it has probably already been made) with negotiations happening over the weekend. After I walked out of the MVD forum- I thought the job was his, but in retrospect he was heavy on stories and the like while DL appeared to give more substance during his forum. I am guessing DL was gonna be the #1 choice regardless.

;)

Dale Lennon loves UND, it will be the hardest coaching decision he has ever had to make....

His family also loves the community of Grand Forks, Their decision will be equally as difficult....

We can hope....

Whatever Dale and his family decide, I wish them nothing but happiness, They are a truly special....

I am guessing the "decision" will be made today (it has probably already been made) with negotiations happening over the weekend. After I walked out of the MVD forum- I thought the job was his, but in retrospect he was heavy on stories and the like while DL appeared to give more substance during his forum. I am guessing DL was gonna be the #1 choice regardless.

;)

Walrus, I am the Father of a player and am truly saddened by the very real possibility that Dale may be moving on. I hope he further commits himself to the future of Sioux football which can meet and exceed anything at MSU if the supposed problems in the Athletic Dept. are addressed. I have two more sons coming that I can only hope have the opportunity to mature into young men with the helping hand of Coach Lennon. I can tell you that, as a parent, it was comforting knowing our first son would be a part of his program. I do want what is best for Coach, but selfishly hope his pride in the past, present and future of the Sioux program wins out. He means so much to so many. Sometimes money doesn't matter.

Dale Lennon loves UND, it will be the hardest coaching decision he has ever had to make....

His family also loves the community of Grand Forks, Their decision will be equally as difficult....

We can hope....

Whatever Dale and his family decide, I wish them nothing but happiness, They are a truly special....

Walrus

If you have the opportunity to speak with Coach Lennon this weekend....let him know that I made a commitment to the UND football team by purchasing four season tickets this year and I will be pi$$ed if he leaves now.

Thank you.

;)

I hope Dale decides to stay and bring UND into DI. His departure would be a signifigant loss to UND Athletics.

If he decides Montana State is what's best for him and his family, then I wish him all of the luck in the world.

MSU football coaching search: Van Diest withdraws name

Montana State athletic director Peter Fields said Thursday he would like to make a decision on a new head coach over the weekend and call a press conference for Monday.

What, you haven't made a decision yet? ;)

As of noontime, neither Van Diest nor Fields were available for comment, but more information is expected from both schools as the afternoon progresses.

I'm curious to get peoples opinions on something. I've been following this over the afternoon since I heard the news VD pulled his name out. It's my opinion that Dale is the front runner and the job is his to take or not but some have made comments here and on other boards to the effect that the Montana State job is not attractive or has problems. I won't disagree that the state of affairs that Kramer left things in is perfect as we all know they are not but things are looking pretty tough for you guys right now going into the transition. The new president coming in will definelty have a lot of influence on how the transition goes and Dale doesn't know who that's going to be or what kind of support he may get from the new president. Then you have the AD questions that have been brought up on this board to which only Dale, the AD and the President really know about but from an outsiders perspective things don't look great there either. Then the lawsuit issue which is looming. The transition and conference affiliation questions loom large. So with those issues out there why do people think he may see the Montana State job as so terrible? Just curious what your thoughts are.

.............why do people think he may see the Montana State job as so terrible? Just curious what your thoughts are.

I don't think there is much "terrible" about the MSU job and I'm not sure that many of us feel that there is. I'll continue to say what I've said from the start. Montana St. is one of the top 15-20 coaching jobs in FCS. I know there are circumstances currently surrounding the program which is why they are currently searching for a new coach. Fact is, without those recent troubles both legally and academically, it is most likely one of the top ten (maybe even top 5 ? )most attractive jobs in FCS. MSU is perennially one of the top 2 FB programs in what is perennially one of the top 2 or 3 football conferences in the FCS. It is a school at which football comes second to no other sport. MSU has a legitimate chance of challenging for a National Championship next season, not 5 transition years from now (or 10 years or longer, like UND). Dale's best quality as a head football coach is his decision making ability. Knowing that, I expect him to decide to take the job if in fact is (or has been) offered to him.