SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

With past drug issues, criminal activity, and the lastest scholarship cuts from the NCAA, it is not surprising that Montana State fired its coach, but why did it wait so long?

MSU Football Coach Contract Terminated

Quite a strongly worded press release:

Montana State University Athletic Director Peter Fields announced Friday that the University is exercising its option to terminate the contract of Mike Kramer, MSU

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please elaborate to the extent that you can.

I believe Dale Lennon loves UND and would have probably retired here and still could....

But there is alot of friction between administration and the coaching staffs, I have never seen the morale as low as it is right now in many areas....

In the past some coaches would not even entertain other options, I believe that climate has now changed....

That is about all I can say.....

I believe Dale Lennon loves UND and would have probably retired here and still could....

But there is alot of friction between administration and the coaching staffs, I have never seen the morale as low as it is right now in many areas....

In the past some coaches would not even entertain other options, I believe that climate has now changed....

With a new president coming in within the next year, would that change the climate?

Question, I don't really follow other sports as much as hockey but what is this friction you mention? Just wondering. Is it related to the AD or President of the University?

With a new president coming in within the next year, would that change the climate?

I believe it is all the Presidents men...

Question, I don't really follow other sports as much as hockey but what is this friction you mention? Just wondering. Is it related to the AD or President of the University?

When you are the Head Coach of of any program, You want control of your Budget, Staff, and Scheduling......This does not seem to be the case anymore at UND......Some decisions are being made in regards to teams sometimes without even knowledge of the Coaches.

I believe it is all the Presidents men...

When you are the Head Coach of of any program, You want control of your Budget, Staff, and Scheduling......This does not seem to be the case anymore at UND......Some decisions are being made in regards to teams sometimes without even knowledge of the Coaches.

Gotcha...

Three separate and distinct comments:

1. Strictly my opinion, but it would be rather poor form to get what you wanted (the school to move to DI-AA/FCS) and then leave before ever playing a game.

2. I run a department. I wish I had control over my budget, staff, and schedules. My decisions are made three layers up for me. That's how it is in large organizations. I have to live with it, but do I like it .... :D

3. I'm not sure anyone would want the Montana State job right now. Who knows what you're walking in to; and imagine the microscope you'll be under.

3. I'm not sure anyone would want the Montana State job right now. Who knows what you're walking in to; and imagine the microscope you'll be under.

I think Montana State will be under pressure to hire a "name" coach of some sort who has a reputation/experience for running a clean, solid program either at the college or pro ranks. As such, I really doubt you'll see any candidates from the Vikings or Bengals any time soon. :(:D

• 2 weeks later...

South Dakota head coach Ed Meierkort is one of the 10-11 candidates for the Montana State job. He did a phone interview this week.

USD Board

Meierkort has done well both at the DIII level and more recently DII the last few years with USD. If he is a candidate on the "short list", I'd have to assume that Dale Lennon should be too. :silly:

A year from today, three years from today:

How many scholarships will USD have to work with?

How many will Montana State have after APR reductions?

How many will North Dakota have?

It kind of makes you wonder which really is the best job right now.

3 years from today UND will have two seasons left of "transition", while MSU will be in an autobid conference (I am guessing both schools will have the same amount of schollies [57-63]).

Bozeman vs Grand Forks = no contest

I think a good working relationship with the AD would be the biggest impetus for change- I have heard Bunning and Lennon are not exactly "peas and carrots".

That being said I think Lennon stays at UND if offered the job or not :silly:

USD won't do "jack" in FCS- you heard it here first ???

http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=h&nid=2068

Finalists to Interview in Bozeman

MSU Bobcats Bobcat Football News : 2007-06-01 : Bozeman, MT

By MSU Sports Information

Montana State came one step closer to filling its football coaching vacancy

Three successful head coaches and a long-time Division I assistant comprise the list of finalists for Montana State