SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

What question did you want answered that didn't get answered? Did you want Lennon to air any concerns or problems with his current position? I can't see Lennon doing that even if he does leave. Too classy for that.

It would have been nice to hear why Lennon thought the job was attractive- rather than he had been to Bozeman once- and that Bozeman/MSU are similar in size to GF/UND- though we should get that info tonight.

I also wonder if Dale is liking the temp (high) in the mid 40's today with a chance of snow tonight- gotta love "summer" in Montana :silly:

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kolpack got me to thinking.

Indeed, why?

It is a lateral move.

My conclusion now is that Lennon does not and has never intended to leave UND.

He's doing this to generate an "oh s***!" buzz. He wants administration and boosters going "jeez, I guess we better start doing __________".

stopped by the Lennon open forum today here is my synopsis

attendance- I didn't go to the last two but the people around me were saying the first two weren't highly attended, about 80-90% of the seats were full today- with tomorrow probably going to be SRO

Lennon seemed pretty happy and relaxed-

the first comment he made he ripped LTC for being an ass to work for (j/k had to throw that out there :bigsmile: )

Lennon talked about his policy about academics and discipline- which were big points among the attendees-who seemed satisfied with his answers.

Said he would basically run the same systems offensively and defensively at MSU which he runs now. Sounded like if he came he would bring surround himself with people he is currently or has previously coached with- when asked if he would have Montanans on the staff- he said there would be "montana presence"- specifically mentioned Breitsbach (sp?) but said he was a midwest guy and the staff would have a midwest feel.

Dale repeatedly emphasized recruiting small town kids and in-state kids first- also mentioned that he rarely recruits JUCO kids- doesn't have anything against them but that is not his style.

Dale said the Big Sky was a good conf and if you could win the BS you can win a national title- and added that UND and USD would really like to be part of the BSC. Never mentioned the 'Griz once- did make light of several newspaper articles which said he played at NDSU (and mentioned the nametag SNAFU in Florence).

Seemed pretty honest throughout the interview which I think scored well with the audience- admitted it was a terrible time to start and leave a coaching job- but said he was in a similar position when he started at Mary.

Overall I thought it went quite well (which I think most here would expect of Lennon), what most are waiting for is what will happen when MVD (who Dale mentioned as a friend) interviews tomorrow.

Just watched the webcast of Dale's open forum....

Really hard to be objective, because Dale is a friend, but I felt he did a outstanding job, Hansel's comment pretty spot on. Dale seemed very relaxed and very open and honest, took a couple shots at the press 1st off with the NDSU mixup, but also incorperated a little humor and levity while getting his points across on academics and accountability....

Our FB team had 59 with a 3.0 or better, and another 12 with a 4.0...WOW!...Also our FB team grad rate is 69% while UND student grad rate is only 51%..

He is such a class act, I hope we can keep him....

Here is what some of Bobcatnation is saying.....

http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatboard/vi...pic.php?t=10428

I was watching Fox sports (Channel 10) last night and the reporter stated that Lennon never applied for the job initially. There were initially 70 applicants for the position. The reporter stated that Lennon was contacted by the MSU search committee. Has anyone else heard or able to confirm this?

I was watching Fox sports (Channel 10) last night and the reporter stated that Lennon never applied for the job initially. There were initially 70 applicants for the position. The reporter stated that Lennon was contacted by the MSU search committee. Has anyone else heard or able to confirm this?

That is correct. He did not apply. A committee identified him, and the school contacted him.

I hope they hire a Montana guy.

:bigsmile:

As do I. However, if Lennon has now decided that he's far more willing than he's been in the past to entertain other possibilities, I can't really see him staying at UND all that much longer even if he's not offered the Montana State job. I hope I'm wrong, but that's the feeling I have right now.

Seems like apretty good Coach from reading a bit about him and would be a good possibility. My guess is he would be interested. However I don't think we should even approach this until needed. But I do hope Bunning has a short list in his desk drawer to go after.

That is correct. He did not apply. A committee identified him, and the school contacted him.

I guess we can take some consolation in the fact that he isn't actively looking for new job. Maybe he just wants to see what his value is on the market for when his contract with UND is up for renewal...we can always hope...

I guess we can take some consolation in the fact that he isn't actively looking for new job.

That wasn't him interviewing in front of an MSU Fighting Bobcats banner yesterday? Or am I misinterpreting what "actively" means.

That wasn't him interviewing in front of an MSU Fighting Bobcats banner yesterday? Or am I misinterpreting what "actively" means.

I see dmk's point. The way I see it:

* If I get a call from a headhunter and agree to talk to his client, that's not actively looking for a job.

* If I'm sending out feelers, letting my contacts know that I might be ready to move, that's feeling out my options.

* If I'm sending out resumes, that's actively looking.

According to the descriptions above, Lennon is similar to the first. It could still very well result in him changing jobs, but I wouldn't characterize him as having been actively looking.

I see dmk's point. The way I see it:

* If I get a call from a headhunter and agree to talk to his client, that's not actively looking for a job.

* If I'm sending out feelers, letting my contacts know that I might be ready to move, that's feeling out my options.

* If I'm sending out resumes, that's actively looking.

Lennon seems to be doing the first. It could still very well result in him changing jobs, but I wouldn't characterize him as having been actively looking.

Jim, thanks for clarifying what I was trying to get across. In addition to what Jim said, perhaps the rumors of unrest within the athletic department aren't as bad as what some people are making them out to be. Yes, I like to take the optimistic approach to things.

MSU football coaching search: Lennon has shown perseverance

Dale Lennon nearly joined the Big Sky Conference five years ago. He was offered the head coaching job at Sacramento State, but turned it down.

Lennon said he didn't take the job because the Fighting Sioux followed up that Division II title with a 5-6 season in 2002.

"I just couldn't leave UND at that point in time," he said Wednesday during his public forum at Montana State's Bobcat Stadium. "There was unfinished business that needed to be taken care of."

"As a result of Dale's significant accomplishments at UND," North Dakota athletic director Tom Buning said, "it's a credit to his past performance that he has attracted the attention of other larger programs."

With his current team winning an average of 10 games per season, this is as good a time as any to move on. In other words, no unfinished business.

"I feel very good about the UND program. It's in position where everything is going the way that you want it. The thing I would never do is leave it at a time where all of a sudden it's, 'now we need your help the most.'

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/06/0...t/d8pjp2300.txt

He told attendees he grew up in a small North Dakota town, and his father owned a grain elevator. He also talked about his eye for the "little things."

Lennon recalled a full-pad practice last fall when two of his defensive backs did not wear their tail pads. It was a minor slip-up, but he didn't want it to go overlooked.

His reason for "blowing up" at the players centered on his team-first attitude.

"It's those little details and that mentality that they're going to be held accountable for," Lennon said. "The whole key here is: Everyone pulling in the same direction."

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/706070337

Lennon's coaching career has taken him all over North Dakota. He was an assistant at Northern State, Valley City State and Dickinson State before landing the head job at Mary.

"I've come up through the wrestlebacks," he joked of his path to the head job at his alma mater. "What it has afforded me to do is really develop my coaching game. I've been an offensive coordinator. I've been a defensive coordinator. Currently I coach kickers and punters. I've coached special teams. I've coached every position on both sides of the ball and it's allowed me to understand the game in a way that's been beneficial to the football program."

He couldn't leave UND after it went 5-6 in 2002, but he has no problem leaving the program as it's on the verge of the most important transition in the program's history? A transition that he himself lobbied for?

I'm not saying the man shouldn't leave if that's what he wants to do, but this explanation seems odd.