SiouxSports.com Forum

Late Friday Afternoon at Montana State ...

star2city

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with this guy (Brian MacPherson of the St. Cloud Times) when it comes to the name change from I-AA:

If you're going to change a name that has been in use for a long time, you'd better be prepared for a lot of people to ignore the new name for a long time.

So I guess your going to be calling it the Mid-Con if you get an invite eventually while the rest of the conference calls it the Summit League? With that logic you should just stay DII and you don't have to worry about what to call it.

Interesting read indeed, but to be taken with a grain of salt. Kent is an NDSU alum and would like nothing better than for UND to lose Lennon. What is bad for Sioux, is somehow good for the Bison.

This is hilarious. The man compliments your coach and you have to find some ulterior motive? We don't even play you nor will we for the forseeable future and yet there is still some kind of conspiracy or motive behind his article? Way to funny. You would have been bashing him if he had written an article saying why Dale wouldn't be considered and giving his reason for that. Then you'd still be whining about how he's wrong only because he's an NDSU alum. What a Maroon.

This is hilarious. The man compliments your coach and you have to find some ulterior motive? We don't even play you nor will we for the forseeable future and yet there is still some kind of conspiracy or motive behind his article? Way to funny. You would have been bashing him if he had written an article saying why Dale wouldn't be considered and giving his reason for that. Then you'd still be whining about how he's wrong only because he's an NDSU alum. What a Maroon.

Yes, I agree that the article was complimentary to Lennon and I, as most UND fans, hold Coach Lennon in high regard, but I stand by my statement that it should be taken with a grain of salt considering the person who wrote the article is from NDSU. Most of the articles that I have read regarding this coaching position have been very neutral toward all of the candidates, so of course this would raise an eyebrow.

Perhaps I'm too cynical, it wouldn't be the first time.

Lots of good points here, Bob. For several of the reasons you mention, I don't really expect Lennon to take this job if offered. However, unless Buning is either forced out, or else dramatically changes the way he deals with the coaches, I'd expect Lennon to leave for a different job within the next year or two.

With regard to the part of your post I highlighted, I agree 100%. Don't underestimate the political clout of the football alums.

Hockey rules at UND period. That maybe the source of Lennons fustrustion with Buning & Co.

I happened to be at the Can Ad on Friday, May 25, when either this was going on, or at least when many of the participants were at the hotel. I can only imagine that there were some rather interesting conversations going on there...

From the above link:

Dan Martinsen,

Sounds like a lot of fun to be at Montana State right now:

Credit: Helena Independent Record, 06/04/07, By TOM STUBER, IR Sports Writer

Kramer and attorney to hold press conference regarding firing

Billings attorney Cliff Edwards has scheduled a press conference for 1:30 p.m. today regarding the termination of Montana State University head football coach Mike Kramer.

Kramer lost in job amid drug and academic problems at MSU.

Edwards said the crux of the case would revolve around the fact that seven of the eight players connected to drug allegations were no longer members of the football team and that Kramer was deeply involved in addressing future academic concerns surrounding his team.

Sounds like the scholarship losses have just begun due to academic performance.

I realize there was a Herald article on Saturday, but the fact that none of the sportswriters has done a blog entry on the Lennon issue is perplexing to me. You know for a fact that Kolpack/Hallstrom would have written several entries by now if Bohl were a finalist elsewhere.

Could it be that they don't know anything worthy of blogging (I'll stop short of saying "reporting") on?

Mentioning a voice of reason, let me try on another front.

UND is going Division I. As such it is foolish to believe that it will continue to operate UND Athletics in a Division II mindset or mode.

The Division I risk/reward curve is much higher, for all involved. I'd be shocked if the top levels of UND Administration were not taking strong interest in this transition. I'd be shocked if they were not closely involved in the operations of Athletics during the transitition.

This is a potential doubling of the Athletic budget over 5 years, a $10,000,000 increase. And final responsibility, to the ND State Board of Higher Education, to the Legislature, and to the State, falls to the president of UND and his administration. The legislature won't fire an AD for fiscal issues, but they will fire a university president. Ask Kendall Baker if you don't believe me.

Thinking the only ones with something to lose in this are coaches is horribly na

Even Ralph realized ultimately that his belief in Gino was exceeded by his belief in the UND program. A particular favorite coach with the alumni is important but the program matters more, and all the more during a transition to DI.

I'm hearing about this "conflict" but I'm not reading about it in the media. Back in the day there was a GFH story about Wanless, the conflicts he caused, and the good things he'd done. Where's the equivalent today? I need some context before I'm buying into all of this completely. Can I believe it? Sure. When will I buy in completely? When it's cold facts out there on display. I need some help with those.

For example: Where was Buning if not at the football alumni gathering? In his office in Hyslop? At an NCAA meeting? On vacation? Chained in the basement of Twamley to prevent him from doing something silly? I need some help with context.

Buning's not a puppet but Ralston (because her husband is a VP) might be? So is Buning "free-lancing" or "cowboying" the problem? Or is Buning doing what he's being told the problem? Or is Ralston being manipulated the problem? And why would "300 Twamley" bother with Ralston (indirect channel) if they had Buning doing what they are directing (direct channel)? And if Buning isn't doing what the commander-in-chief wants how could he still be around?

I need more context and content; and I'm wondering if this quote doesn't fit here also:

But it's more fun and more interesting to report on public speculation than it is to report the facts.

the former MSU coach's press conference today, with his lawyer....interesting

http://montanasnewsstation.com/Global/category.asp?C=50433

It is going to be a challenge for sure at MSU, with the latest problems and such.....?

Good stuff. I am able to watch every Montana St. and U of Montana football game on the satellite dish that I use to pick up the FSSN. After 3-4 years of watching Kramer coach, I admit that I have never been impressed with his coaching ability, nor with the way he carries himself. However, I chuckled watcing that press conference when he mentioned he was recently a candidate for the Head job at Idaho. It is his alma mater, and I remember earlier this year when he took himself out of the running for the vacant position that he had a good chance of getting. Then I remember hearing he was fired a couple weeks ago and thinking to myself, wow, what a way to reward Kramer's show of loyalty to Montana St.

Oh yeah, and if MSU chooses Coach Lennon, I hope that Kramer wins his lawsuit. :bigsmile:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=217759

Taylor said the decision "to make a change at the top of our football program was precipitated by a series of events concerned with the illegal activities of people associated with the program, but also with the academic culture within our football program, and compliance issues. These problems surfaced over a long period of time and this (firing) decision was not centered on one incident."

Emphasis mine. In a town of about 30,000, how do you not see the plumb of smoke, the red flags, and hear the alarm bells? Meth, cocaine trafficing, marijuna, murder, kidnapping, a good chunk of your roster flunking...yeah, I think it was time.

If somebody at the Heraldo really wants to know what's going on, all they need to do is ask the principals--Buning, Lennon, Harmeson, Kupchella and probably Martinsen. It might be interesting to hear what Randall Herbst, Rob Bollinger and Steve Johnson have to say, as well. If nobody wants to go on the record, there's always the freedom of information act. Just look at what was uncovered with the letters/e-mails in the Chapman/chancellor(s)/board of higher ed fiascos. Heck, if Lennon leaves and nobody at the Herald follows up on this, maybe I'll just make the request myself.

Got to give "Bakken" a pass, he is right now being inducted to ths ND Sportswriters Hall of Fame.....as I type!

Wonder who wrote his speech....?

Good stuff. I am able to watch every Montana St. and U of Montana football game on the satellite dish that I use to pick up the FSSN. After 3-4 years of watching Kramer coach, I admit that I have never been impressed with his coaching ability, nor with the way he carries himself. However, I chuckled watcing that press conference when he mentioned he was recently a candidate for the Head job at Idaho. It is his alma mater, and I remember earlier this year when he took himself out of the running for the vacant position that he had a good chance of getting. Then I remember hearing he was fired a couple weeks ago and thinking to myself, wow, what a way to reward Kramer's show of loyalty to Montana St.

Oh yeah, and if MSU chooses Coach Lennon, I hope that Kramer wins his lawsuit. :bigsmile:

I think his good chance went out the window when one of our starting cornerbacks was arrested for cocaine trafficking during the Idaho interview process.

Mike Kramer did a lot of positive things for our program. He greatly improved our talent level on the field and worked very hard to get folks in Montana excited about Bobcat football again.

Unfortunately, the actions of some of the players he recruited, plus the APR situation in recent years, cast a black cloud over his tenure that he was never going to escape. The end game could have been handled much better by the AD and university leaders, but I truly believe we had to go in another direction.

A lawsuit isn't going to be pretty, for MSU or Mike Kramer. The timing of his press conference, on the day the public forums begin, plus the fact his lawyer has close ties to the University of Montana (his son was the QB on their national championship team) just adds to the bitter taste in my mouth.

Great interview in the Herald with Lennon - Way to go Wayne, you answered all our questions. By the way is Wayne an employee of UND or the Herald? Hard to tell. :bigsmile:

What question did you want answered that didn't get answered? Did you want Lennon to air any concerns or problems with his current position? I can't see Lennon doing that even if he does leave. Too classy for that.

I think it would go 1. Tibesar; 2. Bubba; 3. Mussman or Hedberg. The "x" factor in my mind is this--if the perception is out there there Lennon left primarily due to not wanting to work for Buning anymore, how likely is it that any of his friends and/or current or former colleagues would really want to try work for somebody if Lennon couldn't? And regardless of what Lennon says publicly, I firmly believe that if Wanless or RT or Rob Bollinger or any number of other people were a.d. right now, he would have said "thanks, but no thanks" when Montana State called.

One other obvious potential candidate I forgot to mention--Jeff Tesch. Winning at Bemidji State with very few scholarships is quite an accomplishment. Also a former UND assistant under Roger Thomas.

One other obvious potential candidate I forgot to mention--Jeff Tesch. Winning at Bemidji State with very few scholarships is quite an accomplishment. Also a former UND assistant under Roger Thomas.

With the way Buning treats any legacy coaches what makes you think he'd go that way. I think if Lennon gets the job, Buning will go outside the Sioux family and get his own coach.