SiouxSports.com Forum

Thank you Porter, Fabian and Foyt

yzerman19

I just wanted to start a thank you post to our seniors. These guys defined the spirit of the Sioux, hard work, tenacity, strength and skill. These guys all accepted their roles and came out and gave it up every night. Foyt kept going to practice despite limited playing time, Porter was a leader and a force out there, Fabian was a terrific mucker digging in corners and putting other teams on their heels. You will all be missed. Three consectuive trips to the FF and you guys were a big part of all of it.

subcomment: TJ and JT, thanks for always creating out there and making it exciting every shift, good luck in the big show.

In this day and age of college sports, where athletes head to the next level often after only a year or two in college, I've come to appreciate more the players who stay for four years. It's always fun to watch them develop as players.

Today, we'll deal with disappointment, and I'm sure tomorrow night will be more as players and fans think of what could-have-been, but the sun will rise again on Sioux hockey and next fall, we'll greet some of the same players and say 'hi' to some new faces as we look forward to the 2007-2008 season of Fighting Sioux hockey.

Remember, until 2001, BC had been in the Frozen Four three years in a row and suffered crushing disappointments as well before finally winning it all:

1998: Loss to Michigan in NCAA championship game (I believe this was an OT loss too)

1999: Loss in NCAA semi-final game (can't remember opponent)

2000: Loss to North Dakota in NCAA championship game (4-2, after leading 2-1 heading into the 3rd period)

To the seniors who won't return, good luck to all three of you. You've worn the green, white, and black with pride and represented your school with honor.

Thank you to Chris, Erik, and Scott for your contributions to the program and for the great memories for us fans.

Erik's ungainly skating style allowing him to sneak up on unsuspecting gophers, steal the puck and wheel a shot for an important goal.

Chris Porter for big goals scored in big NCAA games.

Scott for representing to the rest of us just what desire and character can do for a person in whatever they want to do.

Continued success in the future in everything you do, and THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES.

The hard hat that gets awarded to players should be named "The Chris Porter Award." In addition to his grit and strong work ethic, Porter encompassed everything the Fighting Sioux Hockey team would want in a captain. As a season ticket holder, those in my section discuss what we think will happen before each game and it almost became a contest to see who could beat the others to say "Porter will work his a$$ off tonight."

Scott Foyt reflected the pride that comes along with being a Fighting Sioux Hockey player. Despite not getting much playing time, he showed up at the rink every day doing what was asked of him. Even though game time was not there, he never hung it up and walked away from our program, which is a true reflection of his character.

Fabian's work ethic and team first attitude will be missed on the ice and in the locker room. We have some talented and skilled players that score beautiful goals, but if the puck was in the corners, Fabian was the one always in the middle of things doing the dirty work.

Thank you, Seniors.

Parise I'll miss these guys.

Porter: I can't remember a better player to wear the 'C' on his jersey in quite some time. Sure, Smaby and Greene had their good points. Same with Hale, Armbrust, and Schneider. However, I think Porter was the first player I can remember who lead the team VISIBLY on the ice. Mr. Clutch for sure. And, yeah, his penalties were stupid in the BC game, but he moved at one speed: 100% the entire game long, just like he has been his ENTIRE SIOUX CAREER. He'll be missed. A TON.

Fabian: It would be easy to say he's going to be missed just based upon his performance against Minnesota alone. However, players like Fabian are what make teams work from first line to the fourth line. Lunchpail toting, blue collar working players like Fabian inspire to work hard every shift. He was tough. I'll miss his tenacity.

Foyt: True team players are hard to find. UND has had their share of non-team players (though the most prominent one I'm thinking of isn't coming to me right now... the winger that transferred to UAA Fournier?) as have every team. But Foyt exemplifies a team player. Practice player, game time player, either way he works hard. He even found a way to contribute. Defense is what he came in as, forward is how he graduates. A guy like Foyt is someone we could use in the coming years. Best of luck to him.

Thank you for your four years at North Dakota. While Sioux fans are used to players leaving early, we Rutgers fans are just starting to experience it. Lat year, we lost Quincy Douby to the NBA early and Brian Leonard turned down being a sure low first or high second round NFL pick to come back for his senior year. After the 2008 football season, we expect that Heisman Trophy candidate ray Rice will leave a year early. It is a big sacrifice to stay, but I think in the majority of cases it is worth it. Hope all the seniors have rewarding spiritual,family, and professional lives.

Ditto on all accounts!! THANX Seniors!!

Hope I get the chance to thank you all in person, one last time.

On a side note, just to show the type of guy Porter is. Last year, at the end of the Saturday night Harvard game, there was a flurry in front of the Sioux net to end the game. The puck came out of the pile towards the boards where we were sitting after the final horn sounded. Porter came over, picked the puck up and tossed it over to my daughter and I. That is just one of the many GREAT things he has done in his years at UND. I too think Porter was the epitamy of what a Captain should be. I give him a lot of the credit for the 2nd half we had.

THANX AGAIN SENIORS!!

I suspect that 175 is a number we won't see again for a long time...

I think your right and Porter is the definition of grit, heart and toughness.

The Sioux are going to miss this kid next season.

hey, its siouxforeverbaby posting as WiSioux cause I am too lazy to switch users right now.

To Ports: Thanks for the awesome four years. You were easily one of my favorite players to watch. No matter what you stuck with it and gritted it out. Thanks.

To Scottie: I loved it when you were on the ice, Thank you for sticking with the team and being you.

To Fabs: I can't say enough about you. I will certianly miss seeing you both on the ice and walking around the Union on your crutches when they dropped you off and left last year.

Thanks all of you for a great time, you are forever a part of the Fighting Sioux family.

Porter: I can't remember a better player to wear the 'C' on his jersey in quite some time. Sure, Smaby and Greene had their good points. Same with Hale, Armbrust, and Schneider. However, I think Porter was the first player I can remember who lead the team VISIBLY on the ice.

Fair comments about Porter, but you must have forgotten about

Jeff Panzer

He was a pretty good captain and certainly a leader on the ice . . . . . .

It's really disappointing to see only a few posts on this thread! The senior class may have been, um, smaller than average, but they were leaders on and off the ice and there should be more people expressing their appreciation. They will be missed!

Granted, this isn't my #1 team, but those guys grew on me. Oh Porter... "I'll miss you, most of all, Scarecrow."

It's really disappointing to see only a few posts on this thread! The senior class may have been, um, smaller than average, but they were leaders on and off the ice and there should be more people expressing their appreciation. They will be missed!

Granted, this isn't my #1 team, but those guys grew on me. Oh Porter... "I'll miss you, most of all, Scarecrow."

Well for the most part a lot of people gave there appreciation to the seniors in the game thread or in some other thread for the most part which is probably why there are only a few posts in here. But still no excuse to not show appreciation to them in a thread dedicated to them! :lol:

It was fun watching Porter, Fabian, and Foyt(still remember that St. Lawrence goal you scored). You were all terrific seniors! Good luck to you in life after college and thanks for sticking around 4 years :D

Thanks, guys. We're going to miss you.

It is rare in this day and age to see players stay for four years. I'm glad that these guys did......and I'm feeling pretty fortunate to see these guys play their college hockey wearing a sweater that means a lot to me.

Chris Porter earned my respect this year. He kept us in the Michigan game, he scored (which I have decided is my favorite Sioux goal EVER) the OT winner against Minnesota, and tallied another two against BC. He has become my favorite Sioux player this year, and will probably be one of my favorite Sioux players of all time.....he wore the C well.

Good luck, boys!

Bye. I wish you the best. Thank you for all the great memories. You are going to be sorely missed. :sad:

Fabian for his love of sioux hockey and porter for his amazing game to game effort he put out on the ice. They both got my attention over the years! :lol::silly:

"Fabian For All-American!!!!!"

THE chant during game at MCI Wireless Mankato freshman year. 3 greazy goals and his role was defined! Your pick of Judd Stevens in 2005 FF was one of the sweetest Sioux goals imo. Thanks for all the hard work, Eric. Fabian-Canady-Massen were the unsung heroes of that FF run. good luck to all the seniors!