SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

This explains why these kids are making the jump:

...three-year entry-level contract that will pay Johnson a base salary of $765,000 and an $85,000 signing bonus. He could max out at $3.7 million in 2007-08 if he were to meet all of his incentives, which include being named MVP of the Stanley Cup finals and being named to the NHL All-Star game.

More reasonable incentives, such as ice time and point production, will likely bring him a payday close to $2 million in 2007-08.

And all this time I thought they were being forced to sign for a paltry 800K :silly:

Kessel could have made somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 Million if he had met all of his incentives this season.

Center Phil Kessel** (1) 850,000 (2) 850,000 (3) 850,000

**Bonuses could take Kessel

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kyle Okposo, RW

2006 first-round draft pick (7th overall)

From magazine covers to game-winning goals, Okposo has all the makings for being a future NHL star. He's been an integral part of his college team, the powerhouse Minnesota Golden Gophers, where in 31 games played he's totaled 17 goals, 18 assists for 35 points to go along with 28 penalty minutes. Okposo also represented Team USA at the 2007 World Junior Championships. The team's hard-fought efforts resulted in a bronze medal.

Blessed with great hands and a keen vision on the ice, it's his aggressive style of play that makes him a lock for the NHL in the very near future.

HOCKEY FUTURES

Brad's Blog

Now, Minnesota will await word from forward Kyle Okposo and defenseman Alex Goligoski. The Star Tribune reported last week that Okposo is looking to sign with the New York Islanders, but the pro team feels he would be best served by spending another season at Minnesota.

I suppose I can keep posting links.

Going to be some big pay days coming for Vanek and Parise.

Thomas' 40+ and leading the league in plus minus should get him somewhere in the $4million per year range. I would guess that Zach's 31 would be worth somewhere in the $2.5-$3 per year range. IF ZP continues his goal scoring rampage in the playoffs, he could add another $1 mil per. If he were to lead the playoffs in goals scored and win the Conn Smythe ( I realize there is a lot of hockey left, and the Devils aren't even a lock to get out of round 1) but if ZP were to win the Conn Smythe at 22 years old, he might be able to bump that even further.

Thomas' 40+ and leading the league in plus minus should get him somewhere in the $4million per year range. I would guess that Zach's 31 would be worth somewhere in the $2.5-$3 per year range. IF ZP continues his goal scoring rampage in the playoffs, he could add another $1 mil per. If he were to lead the playoffs in goals scored and win the Conn Smythe ( I realize there is a lot of hockey left, and the Devils aren't even a lock to get out of round 1) but if ZP were to win the Conn Smythe at 22 years old, he might be able to bump that even further.

Aren't the Devils strapped for cash?

Just a quick question since it sounds like you might know. What kind a status are players like Vanek and Parise given after their 3 year rookie deals are finished? Restricted FA, FA, something else??

IMO, I guess I don't give as much weight to +- as you do. I don't see Vanek getting a million more than ZP. ZP just may be the best player in NJ (not including Marty), Vanek is somewhere in the top 5 for the Sabres (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Aren't the Devils strapped for cash?

The salary cap will get raised next year roughly $4 million, because of the last deal the league signed with the players. There is also talk about trading Brian Rafalski who is a top D scoring man gettin paid roughly $7 million this year, but he will get paid. Most devils fans see Parise as a player the team will be built around, and Barry Melrose said last night that Parise is now the devils go-to-guy, passing elias, gomez, and gionta!

No they don't. They are at the cap threshold right now and only four players are going to be free agents. None are big names. The only one I can remember is Walz.

Look at three teams I know that are at or near the cap threshold:

Devils

Red Wings

Wild

Now, let me ask you: Which teams spent their money better.

HINT: For the talent per $, it isn't Minnesota.

And as for Walz, let him go. There are plenty of grinders that are younger and cheaper and better than he is. Actually, they have Pouliot who very well could step into Walz' role. If not, how about their 2006 first rounder? Sheperd I think? Don't recall. But he's a scoring center IIRC.

Walz isn't a loss. Who are the others?

As far as I'm concerned (among skaters): If your on the Wild and have last names OTHER than: Parrish, Demitra, Gaborik, Koivu, Bouchard, or Rolston, it's not going to be a big loss. And there is an argument that losing Parrish wouldn't be that big of a hit either.

Walz isn't a loss. Who are the others?

As far as I'm concerned (among skaters): If your on the Wild and have last names OTHER than: Parrish, Demitra, Gaborik, Koivu, Bouchard, or Rolston, it's not going to be a big loss. And there is an argument that losing Parrish wouldn't be that big of a hit either.

LOL, I don't want to rain on your parade but Walz just set up Gabby for a sweet shortie. :(

Now back to the regular scheduled debate.

The hockey writer in the Strib today said Okposo is expected to sign shortly. I guess we'll see.

i really like kyles game a lot. it will be a big hit to the wcha when he leaves as i have thought he would be gone....on the other hand...see yaaaaaaaaaaa

... it will be a big hit to the wcha when he leaves ...

The "big hit" was already suffered by KO and the league when Hirsch left the Gophers (or did the Gophers leave Hirsch).

(Look at KO's numbers with and without Hirsch on the team.)

The "big hit" was already suffered by KO and the league when Hirsch left the Gophers (or did the Gophers leave Hirsch).

(Look at KO's numbers with and without Hirsch on the team.)

for sure...im not gona get into he hrisch thing again as its not our place..ko numbers really dropped off but i would take him anyday. hes a player and will be a solid islander for many years..