SiouxSports.com Forum

Booooooo

yekcoh

That game was probably the most highly skilled game I ever saw. There was so much talent on the ice at one time it was just ridiculous. There was no other team in the country that was going to keep up that pace with either team. It was a fantastic game even though the Sioux lost.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Phil holding his glove up is showboating, (picked it up from his idol Karl G.) I'm fine with it. There isn't anyway for that to come and bite him in the ass. (Unless he does a "around the world" glove save and throws the puck in the net)

2. Irmen was getting razzed by the students right before he came out of the box and scored (see below)

3. Kessel taunted a crowd that was booing him everytime he touched the puck (loved it).

The problem with "popping" ones jersey is that went out of style after the Illini made their run in the 2005 NCAA Basketball. I would have much prefered Wheeler or anyone for that matter to do something outlandish and fun like a Tiger Williams celebration (Number 1 at the end of the video).

Ok, in response to your 1-3

1) Why would he not show the ref that he has the puck? as people have repeatedly said he has gotten run into before, if you were Phil's height, would you not do something to stop being hit. He is in no way as bad as Lawson who repeatedly tried to get the ref to call people hitting his helmet off when Lawson himself had pushed it off. I saw this at least three times when they played in GF.

2) and 3) Yes, they were getting taunted. But what player does not get taunted by the students in the box. we taunt all of them, it does not mean that you have to taunt them back, most players ignore us.

I don't care who you are or what team you play for, jersey popping is dumb and classless even if you were being taunted. LEARN TO IGNORE IT! I guess through my green-colored glasses, I don't see what Phil does as showboating, but please pay attention to what others say about it too because they do have points.

pstar, SLap Shot, Gopher crowd:

I'd like you to tell me what would you do as a goaltender if: You make the save and get barraged by slashes, stick checks, etc. after you have made the save from when you make the save to shortly after the whistle sounds?

Obviously, this should be an original answer. Raising your glove to say you have the puck in it would obviously be showboating. So what would you do?

Don't tell me the officials will take care of it. You have to pull a Bruess for them to do anything major. Don't say your D or your players should rush in to protect the goaltender. They'd head to the box for roughing or some other crap. So what would you do?

I think there is still some bad blood between Gopher fans and Lammy after the incident last year at Mariucci Friday and Saturday night.

Shouldn't be. The umtc fans got their paybacks when they threw oranges and pop cups at the Sioux team after the game on Saturday last year.

I'd like you to tell me what would you do as a goaltender if: You make the save and get barraged by slashes, stick checks, etc. after you have made the save from when you make the save to shortly after the whistle sounds?

Obviously, this should be an original answer. Raising your glove to say you have the puck in it would obviously be showboating. So what would you do?

Don't tell me the officials will take care of it. You have to pull a Bruess for them to do anything major. Don't say your D or your players should rush in to protect the goaltender. They'd head to the box for roughing or some other crap. So what would you do?

Well as anyone who has ever played the game of hockey knows you always, I mean ALWAYS, poke & slash at the goalie until the whistle blows. This is done on the off-chance that the goalie actually losses control of the puck & the opposing player knocks the puck into the net for a goal. Furthermore, all players on the ice are taught at a young age to play until the whistle blows---goalies, forwards, and defensemen. I really do not know the point of this since all players have been taught to play this way since the age of 5.

I don't think in this example the lamaro is "showboating" College hockey officials are very quick to whistle the play dead when it appears the goalie has control of the puck (obviosuly to protect the goalie) I think the "showboating" persists when a slapshot is taken from the blueline and lamaro makes a glove save and he "over-exaggerates" the fact he has made the save and starts to shake his head back-n-forth. This might be his way of motivating himself but from a opposing fan-base perspective it certainly appears as "showboating"

Which probably would not have happened had Lammy not gone around the back of the net banging on the boards with his stick taunting the fans. :silly:

I'm sure they would have sent love letters to Lammy while FlagGuy whispered sweet nothings into Lammy's ear. :angry:

You're obviously joking right? You're implying that Lammy is somehow more abused than other goalies? Hah. I'd do what ever other Goalie does. Make the save, cover up, wait for the whistle. If he wants to leave the crease to avoid a charge fine, but if he can;t handle the pokeing, he should get out of the nets. Letrs be honest, he's not swinging the arm up, posing for a second that bring it in to show the ref he has the puck. that's laughable. Lastly, as before, I don't care that he showboats. I only say that he does, to an extreme.

I did notice in SEVERAL sections throughout Saturday night's game that skirmishes, finger-pointing, taunting, and even a few shoves being thrown. Behind the zamboni entrance, I counted at least four people who were ejected by security.

I was in the section (much higher up, though). I couldn't tell what had happened. I just saw them ejecting some guys (looked younger, probably college age).

Then after the first two guys got taken out, a bunch of people started chanting "Get the old guy! clap, clap, clap clap clap". Then they finally figured out who everybody was talking about.

Never did find out for sure what happened.

hey, quit with this crap, WPos. you said the same exact thing on this board after the Goofers beat UND 3 years ago in one of the best FF games in history. I know becuase your whiny little speech was my signature for two years. you said, "i've never had a Sioux fan come up to me after a Gopher win and say good job." you know why.....? YOU DIDN'T PLAY IN THE FREAKIN' GAME, DUDE!

My guess is that you're all about interaction with opposing fans when the Gophers win. in january did you run around Yucki after your team got spanked and go up to UND fans and say "good game?" i would suspect that you were in the car, halfway home, listening to the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period in your car while the arena was filled with "beat the traffic" chants.

It's not like you had Flag guy come up to you and call you a nazi. (how'd that guy get on t.v.?)

Relax, your fans aren't any better.

I guess somebody just got exposed :silly: beautiful! My hunch is that he might not have even gone to the Sat game at all

You're obviously joking right? You're implying that Lammy is somehow more abused than other goalies? Hah. I'd do what ever other Goalie does. Make the save, cover up, wait for the whistle. If he wants to leave the crease to avoid a charge fine, but if he can;t handle the pokeing, he should get out of the nets. Letrs be honest, he's not swinging the arm up, posing for a second that bring it in to show the ref he has the puck. that's laughable. Lastly, as before, I don't care that he showboats. I only say that he does, to an extreme.

You don't know what you're talking about, and the more you keep harping on this, the more ridiculous you look. There was a game at the Ralph this year during which Lamoureux put his glove over the puck and a player from the opposing team slashed at his glove and knocked the puck in for a goal. After that, Phil got hacked, slashed and poked to the point where he went after one of the players who continued to slash at him.

I don't remember which game it was, but Lamoureux talked about it afterwards and was quite upset about what had been allowed to happen. (I believe Brad Schlossman quoted Lamoureux about the incident in his Grand Forks Herald story.) There was also the blatant run and crosscheck on Lamoureux during the playoff series with Mankato.

When you take into account what's happened to Lamoureux lately, his injury and the fact that his backup, Grieco, is out with an injury, I understand completely why he'd want the ref to know when the puck is in his glove.

Can't we move beyond the "our fans and players are so much classier than yours" debate. Both sides have stupid fans and great fans, both teams have arrogance and sportsmanship. This is a rivalry fellas, We're not supposed to be proper during the games. You don't play cheap, and fans should not be crude, but you do play/cheer with passion and talk some trash. It's trying to get a mental/emotional edge. Now how you behave after the games is another story. That's a time to shake hands, say nice game and buy the lsoing fan/player a beer.

In Lammy' defense, he was the biggest showboat goalie in the college hockey. I don't mind skating out of the crease, that's fine, but the "posing" he'd do after a save was obnoxious. That said, I didn't see him do it once during the final five. Not sure why, but I noticed and appraciated it. ALthough, there's nothing wrong with him showboating during the game if he can back it up. Not my style, but as written earlier, maybe it's gives him an edge emtioanl/mentaly.

I really don't like what he does either. It's going to cost him at some point.

I'm a big fan of efficient goalies who hardly get noticed during a game. That tells me that the guy knows how to play his angles and has good technique.

getting back to the original comment, most fans were not booing lammy, they were booing because the losing goalie got picked as all tournament. since when does a goalie who was outplayed, and lost deserve to get an award over the winning goalie. everyone knows you pick the winning goalie for the award, not the loser. the fans didn't care at all that it was lammy, they cared that it was not the winning goalie.

I guess somebody just got exposed :silly: beautiful! My hunch is that he might not have even gone to the Sat game at all

exposed? hardly, I actually did see a Sioux fan after the spanking and tell him they spanked the Gophers, so put that where the sun don't shine there buddy! As for leaving early, you can ask anyone I know, I have NEVER left a game early.

As for my little "speech", go ahead and put it up as your sig line again for all I care, you are obviously NOT one of the Sioux fans that I could/do respect. Telling a defeated opponent it was a good game has noting to do with if you played or not, it is showing respect for an opponent. If I EVER, and I mean EVER see a post by you that says "us" and "Sioux" and "hockey" and "win" in it, I'll throw that right back in your face. You sir, are a tool.

I am one for interaction with GOOD hockey fans regardless of the outcome. We moved our seats this year at the F5 and actually had some good new people to sit by. Knowledgable, respectfull fans, that weren't yelling about ref bias, or "fake" penaties, or any of that crap. I had a good time chatting with them and shared a "that was a great game" after it was all over, as well as props for the all F5 team. That game will go down in my mind as one of the best, most hard fought games between our two respective teams. Damn I wish I had DVR'd it. As for FlagGuy and all the others that pull that nazi crap, I personally hate that, it is stupid and dumb, and I tell the people who do that so.

NDH, Mafiaman, missed running into you guys this year, you guys are good eggs.

Forecheck did we ever make a bet?!? :angry:

cfm, one of these years we got to meet up and share a brew and talk BMW (got mine out Sunday)

Diggler, I leave the head butting (and nose breaking) to my best friends! that was crazy!

W

exposed? hardly, I actually did see a Sioux fan after the spanking and tell him they spanked the Gophers, so put that where the sun don't shine there buddy! As for leaving early, you can ask anyone I know, I have NEVER left a game early.

As for my little "speech", go ahead and put it up as your sig line again for all I care, you are obviously NOT one of the Sioux fans that I could/do respect. Telling a defeated opponent it was a good game has noting to do with if you played or not, it is showing respect for an opponent. If I EVER, and I mean EVER see a post by you that says "us" and "Sioux" and "hockey" and "win" in it, I'll throw that right back in your face. You sir, are a tool.

I am one for interaction with GOOD hockey fans regardless of the outcome. We moved our seats this year at the F5 and actually had some good new people to sit by. Knowledgable, respectfull fans, that weren't yelling about ref bias, or "fake" penaties, or any of that crap. I had a good time chatting with them and shared a "that was a great game" after it was all over, as well as props for the all F5 team. That game will go down in my mind as one of the best, most hard fought games between our two respective teams. Damn I wish I had DVR'd it. As for FlagGuy and all the others that pull that nazi crap, I personally hate that, it is stupid and dumb, and I tell the people who do that so.

NDH, Mafiaman, missed running into you guys this year, you guys are good eggs.

Forecheck did we ever make a bet?!? :angry:

cfm, one of these years we got to meet up and share a brew and talk BMW (got mine out Sunday)

Diggler, I leave the head butting (and nose breaking) to my best friends! that was crazy!

W

Amen to that! Two of my favorite "b" words are brew and BMW. Might have the 540i 6-speed online by the time we meet.

getting back to the original comment, most fans were not booing lammy, they were booing because the losing goalie got picked as all tournament. since when does a goalie who was outplayed, and lost deserve to get an award over the winning goalie. everyone knows you pick the winning goalie for the award, not the loser. the fans didn't care at all that it was lammy, they cared that it was not the winning goalie.

It's hard to award someone a goalie of the TOURNAMENT, when they only play half the games...

The heated rivalry stems from putting together a top team every single year. Our benchmarks for a successful season are frozen four appearances and national titles. Think how lucky we are!! Both us and the Gopher fans. I personally am ever hesitant to gloat too much over a win, because the tables are always turning. This year is no exception. If we meet again on Sunday it will be a coin flip. I am not going to gloat if we win, because I know how bad it sucks to lose, and a little puck luck, a bad line change, a stupid penalty, a bad call...its all part of the game. Anyone who blames any single player for a loss is nuts. It is a game of inches and seconds, and it is a team game.

As for booing Lammy, it is the nature of the beast. I don't think any rational or sober person would be booing out of disdain for his performance or his personality. He is probably the most emotional Sioux player on the ice, and so he is the player the fans love to hate. I used to boo Vanek, not because I didn't think he was talented, because he was a guy every school would want on your team, and he was wearing the wrong color jersey. It was easy to label him a loafer or a one way player and boo him, but deep down we all knew he was the real deal (34 lighters and leading the NHL in plus minus_)

Think how lucky both squads are, out of the last four or five years we have 2 budding NHL superstars in parise and vanek. Martin, Ballard, Leopold, Taffe, Bochenski, Zajac, Kessel, Greene, Commodore, Stafford all skating regular NHL shifts right now. Toews, Oshie, Chorney, Johnson, and Okposo could be joining those ranks next year.

Wow! No boos on this season, we've both had successdul ones so far by every other team in the leagues standard. One (or both)of us will be disppointed after this weekend.

Wow! No boos on this season, we've both had successdul ones so far by every other team in the leagues standard. One (or both)of us will be disppointed after this weekend.

Great post. I agree.