SiouxSports.com Forum

Why not play NDSU in basketball?

bincitysioux

With all of the hoopla going on at the football boards both here and at Bisonville, I wonder why there is not more discussion about first renewing the rivalry with NDSU in basketball instead of football. This would make more sense to me, as far as easing back into the games between the schools for all sports. Obviously, there are alot more basketball games to schedule than football games. Besides NDSU's game with Kansas St. this year, both programs are currently hurting for intriguing home games. The last Sioux-Bison game in GF drew nearly 8,000 and the last one in Fargo drew upwards of 6,000. NDSU's big "rivalry" game with SDSU in Fargo this year only mustered ~4,000. That "big meanie" Rich Glas is gone, so NDSU can't complain about him anymore, as is Roger Thomas. This summer when PA and Dubay asked Tim Miles about UND moving to DI his answer was "bring em on!". We all know about the attendance struggles that NDSU women's basketball has been suffering. So with an open-minded Tim Miles, A.D. Tom Buning, and a new coach in Brian Jones, why not send UND basketball teams to Fargo in 2007 (while they are still looking for non-conference games) and hopefully have them return the favor in 2008 when UND will really need games?

For obvious reasons Amy wants nothing to do with the Lady Sioux. We could guarantee her a million dollars and she wouldn't play the Sioux. She has enough problems to deal with on her hands without having to get her butt kicked by Gene and the girls. I wonder how large of a guarantee she gets from Valley City every year. It must be large because she has them on her schedule every year. Remember when Amy used to have the attitude of "bring it on". That was a long time ago.

I would love to play in women's basketball.

I think you guys would beat our Bison on the women's side, and I think it would be a good wake up call to NDSU in just where our women's program is right now. It's struggling and the years of 90 dominance is far past.

I think football would be a competitive game, and great for both Universities, but because of playoff eligibility next year, and commitments to other schools on open dates this year, it won't happen until down the road.

I don't think any Bison fans are interested in playing in men's basketball. With all due respect, you're program is struggling and it wouldn't be competitive at all.

I think you guys are doing a great thing moving up, and I believe that your football team, and your women's basketball team will step right in, be competitive, and do some great things. Your men's basketball team, not so much.

While I agree, I would've said the same about the Bison four years ago. :lol:

I agree but where you'll see the difference is in all the other sports. NDSU has usually been better in volleyball, track, softball, soccer, and wrestling. I think most fans will be surprised with our baseball team this year. It seems most Sioux fans don't care about those sports but they all play apart in the move to DI.

Dan is right. NDSU is usually better in the other sports. Baseball has been back and forth. It is not that most fans from UND and NDSU don't care about those sports. It's just that nobody basically attends those games. Therefore they don't make money for the University. They are just a financial drain to the move to DI. So they do play a part in the move to DI. Let's face it the only sports that the majority of fans care about are football, men's basketball and women's basketball. And of course hockey at UND.

But UND has also been pretty strong in golf, tennis and of course swimming, which they don't have at NDSU. I'd say the programs are fairly even overall, with each putting a focus on specific sports and excelling at those. That makes a lot of sense. I'd rather have a mixture of great and poor programs than a full slate of middling teams.

While I agree, I would've said the same about the Bison four years ago. :(

It's a very true point, and at the time I would have never saw the men's team where it is now. Ironically, NDSU is way more competitive in D1 men's basketball then we probably ever were in Division 2 if you consider the circumstances.

With your move up to D1, I think men's basketball will be the only sport that struggles, and I think alot of that has to do with your hockey program. With both being D1, hockey will always be superior, and basketball can't take comfort in being D2 anymore.

Who knows though. UND could surprise me in men's basketball much in the same way NDSU has.

It's a very true point, and at the time I would have never saw the men's team where it is now. Ironically, NDSU is way more competitive in D1 men's basketball then we probably ever were in Division 2 if you consider the circumstances.

With your move up to D1, I think men's basketball will be the only sport that struggles, and I think alot of that has to do with your hockey program. With both being D1, hockey will always be superior, and basketball can't take comfort in being D2 anymore.

Who knows though. UND could surprise me in men's basketball much in the same way NDSU has.

exactly

• 2 weeks later...

The simplistic answer to the posted question is that when SU went D-I, the Sioux decided not to play them any more in all sports, when the reality was only football would have suffered from scheduling SU at that time. So, now the shoe's on the other foot and SU is pretty much "returning the favor".

Had we continued to play them in everything except football, where possible, as we should have, we would not be having this discussion now and it would be much easier to get back just the football game both schools need.

Is it childish for SU to behave this way? Yes. Was it childish for UND to shut out SU before? Yes. Pick your poison. Both schools have been wrong, but as much as I hate to admit it, UND was wrong first, and that's why we are where we are ...

... For now ...

The simplistic answer to the posted question is that when SU went D-I, the Sioux decided not to play them any more in all sports, when the reality was only football would have suffered from scheduling SU at that time. So, now the shoe's on the other foot and SU is pretty much "returning the favor".

Had we continued to play them in everything except football, where possible, as we should have, we would not be having this discussion now and it would be much easier to get back just the football game both schools need.

Is it childish for SU to behave this way? Yes. Was it childish for UND to shut out SU before? Yes. Pick your poison. Both schools have been wrong, but as much as I hate to admit it, UND was wrong first, and that's why we are where we are ...

... For now ...

I agree with what your saying there. I know I'm in the minority but I think we should just bury the hatchet and revive the rivalry again. If the Sioux had no intentions of going D-I my feelings might be different, just because I don't want us scheduling D-II when we are playoff eligible. Let's get it on!!!

With all of the hoopla going on at the football boards both here and at Bisonville, I wonder why there is not more discussion about first renewing the rivalry with NDSU in basketball instead of football. This would make more sense to me, as far as easing back into the games between the schools for all sports. Obviously, there are alot more basketball games to schedule than football games. Besides NDSU's game with Kansas St. this year, both programs are currently hurting for intriguing home games. The last Sioux-Bison game in GF drew nearly 8,000 and the last one in Fargo drew upwards of 6,000. NDSU's big "rivalry" game with SDSU in Fargo this year only mustered ~4,000. That "big meanie" Rich Glas is gone, so NDSU can't complain about him anymore, as is Roger Thomas. This summer when PA and Dubay asked Tim Miles about UND moving to DI his answer was "bring em on!". We all know about the attendance struggles that NDSU women's basketball has been suffering. So with an open-minded Tim Miles, A.D. Tom Buning, and a new coach in Brian Jones, why not send UND basketball teams to Fargo in 2007 (while they are still looking for non-conference games) and hopefully have them return the favor in 2008 when UND will really need games?

Well men's basketball would be an absolute massacre, and if you think otherwise youre a moron.

Well men's basketball would be an absolute massacre, and if you think otherwise youre a moron.

Risking the label of "moron", while I wouldn't predict a Sioux upset of the Bison in men's BB, the sports cliche of throwing out the records fully applies to UND/NDSU games. I pick winners in these matchups with little confidence, and that includes a Sioux women's victory over NDSU.

Miles has left NDSU for Colorado State, if anyone cares.

One of the most difficult aspects of DI is keeping a good coach in BB or FB when even mid-majors are paying $400,000 a year. It almost becomes a Catch-22 situation - it takes too long for a quality coach to build a up a program to the point where the program can afford to pay more to keep him.

I have to wonder if the window of opportunity for a new Fargo basketball arena has now passed by? Without Miles to rally around, the Bison program is more risky as an arena "investment."

One of the most difficult aspects of DI is keeping a good coach in BB or FB when even mid-majors are paying $400,000 a year. It almost becomes a Catch-22 situation - it takes too long for a quality coach to build a up a program to the point where the program can afford to pay more to keep him.

I have to wonder if the window of opportunity for a new Fargo basketball arena has now passed by? Without Miles to rally around, the Bison program is more risky as an arena "investment."

I think it will do the opposite of what you say, NDSU will want to make it harder for the next coach to leave and also will want to draw in more revenue. A new arena would be key in getting that done and Miles wasn't going to be around forever(probably two more years max) so I doubt it makes the arena any more risky of an investment.

NDSU will name Saul Phillips as their new head coach today, per the Forum. It's kind of interesting that Phillips' experience is very similar to that of Brian Jones. Prior to coming to NDSU a couple of years ago, he was director of basketball operations at Wisconsin for three years.