SiouxSports.com Forum

DI scheduling

dakotadan

Unless you know something I don't, I'm pretty sure you'll need 6 DI games, not 7, to be a DI counter in 2008. The requirement is more than 50% of a schedule consisting of at least 9 games. For a 11 game season, that would be 6 games. For a 12 game season, it would be 7. (bylaw 20.9.8.2)

In 2008, is a 12 game season allowed for DIAA (FCS) because of the calendar weeks after Labor Day?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In '08, there will be 13 weeks to get in 12 games. That would bode well for lining up "one & done" games with the likes of Montana & Montana St. With 9 teams in the Big Sky & Gateway (assuming SDSU/NDSU accepted in Gateway) most seasons, won't be interested in playing in GF, so you'd likely see a buy-out of the return game.

Likely, the home games in '08 would be the D-II's or check with Pioneer Conference members for a home and home (Drake, Dayton, etc.) Check with Presbyterian College, they'll be only a year ahead, and are in a 6 member conference.

Herald article about DI scheduling for baseball and soccer.

In 2008, UND will play Kansas, Kansas State, Creighton, Indiana University-Purdue-Fort Wayne, South Dakota State, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State and Minnesota.

Ziegler added that Pepperdine, Northern Colorado and Air Force also are Division I possibilities for 2008 as is a Division I independent tournament at Dallas Baptist.

UND women's soccer coach Brock Thompson also has scheduled Division I teams for the 2008 season.

Thompson said UND will play Division I programs Creighton, Wyoming, Weber State and Utah Valley State in 2008.

Also, UND will play at Creighton and at Iowa State on March 31 and April 1 of this year during the program's spring exhibition season.

• 1 month later...

I already posted this in the basketball forum, but thought it should be in here as well.

LINK

UND will play one Division I school next season. Montana State of the Big Sky Conference will play UND on Dec. 28 in the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. UND will play at Montana State the following season.

So if I remember correctly, we have 3 DI games scheduled in the revenue sports for next season in which we are still DII.

2007-08

MBB: at Iowa St.

WBB: vs. Montana St.

FB: at Southern Utah

2008-09

WBB: at Montana St.

FB: vs. Southern Utah

Also remember that UND's agreement with Northern Iowa called for two additional football games if UND moved to DI. I wonder if they'll be on the schedule again in 2008, that would be nice.

Regarding the women's basketball game, I'm somewhat surprised. I'm surprised that the first game of the home-and-home is going to be in GF. I don't think it is common for a DI to travel to a DII school for a game. Also, I would think that UND would prefer to host Montana St. during the 2008-09 year when scheduling will be very difficult.

• 2 weeks later...
Not that they're a particularly appealing opponent these days, but I wonder why Northern Colorado hasn't been playing the SU's of late in either football or basketball?

The Big Sky has 9 teams, so the "perfect" 4 home/4 away in conference with 3 OOC games. 1 of those OOC games will be a FBS game away. So really only two games available. If want to have 6 home games (like MT or Mt St) then never actually play "away". The Big Sky, since the addition of UNC, have been reneging on returning the "away" game. Because of that, SDSU/NDSU are saying NO to the Big Sky schools. ONLY IF THE GAMES START in Brookings/Fargo are they going to play Big Sky schools.

Gateway will be at the same 9 teams issue starting in 2008. Southland is at 8 FB schools, with the other 4 schools in the conference looking to add football, so could be in same situations as Big Sky in near future.

In Basketball, with 9 schools, 16 out of 28 (minimum # of D-I games) are in conference. The name of the game is to play RPI's that are high, not low. Also to play BCS conference schools, not the bottom 1/3 of conference ratings. Big Sky is a lower level conference, that rarely gets in more than one school. So for OOC, rarely did SDSU play more than one or two Big Sky teams, while in transition.

SDSU Women's success this year was due to their successes against the top 100. All their 6 losses were to teams in the two post season tourneys. And they had wins against more than just AQ teams in the NCAAs.

I'm certain that we'll see the UNC Bears on both the FB field and hardwood courts. Too much history to not compete again. However, it will be timed for a perceived boost to each school, not because we have to have a game.

9 conference members is hardly perfect. It leaves a conference member with a NC game to schedule each week of the conference season.

10 is ideal as it still gives each team 4 home and 4 away. The only negative there is you don't play one team each year.

That's less of a negative in my book then having to schedule a hard to find NC game in the conference season.

9 conference members is hardly perfect. It leaves a conference member with a NC game to schedule each week of the conference season.

10 is ideal as it still gives each team 4 home and 4 away. The only negative there is you don't play one team each year.

That's less of a negative in my book then having to schedule a hard to find NC game in the conference season.

I think if you look around though, you will find a lot more "9" team football conferences then "10" team conferences. I would rather have to look for the extra NC game, rather then not play one conference member every year. What happens when you skip the big rival? Sooner or later it would happen. It could also happen that you skip the team that wins the conference. You didn't beat them because you didn't play them. Far too many negatives for a 10 team conference.

If it's so bad to have a ten team conference why do you suppose there is a conference called the big 10 that actually had 10 teams for much of it's excistence and now has an even odder number in 11. It can be worked out with almost any number of teams, with bye weeks and out of conference games.

Does that mean you're giving up on UND/USD/NDSU/SDSU all being in the mid con now? After all, that league is currently at 10.

I would rather have to look for the extra NC game, rather then not play one conference member every year. What happens when you skip the big rival?

Just because you don't play one conference member every season doesn't mean that you cycle through every single conference member.

Maybe it's just the farthest 2 conference members that you don't play.

Rivalries can always be accomodated.

And with that point taken care of, there isn't an AD in the country that would rather schedule a NC game in the middle of conference season vs. not playing one of the conference teams.

Does that mean you're giving up on UND/USD/NDSU/SDSU all being in the mid con now? After all, that league is currently at 10.

I would think that "4 home and 4 away" would signal something in your head about "football".

But for that matter, any even number above 10 works just as well.

Going about 12 or 14 (depending on who you ask) gets a tad absurd, but still accomplishes the same as far as scheduling goes.

I honestly don't know how basketball scheduling works, so I can't really comment on the ideal membership for basketball leagues.

• 5 months later...

WOMEN'S SOCCER: UND-NDSU talks heating up

Perhaps first up will be a women's soccer matchup between the schools. UND coach Brock Thompson said he and Bison coach Pete Cuadrado have agreed to play Aug. 31, 2009, in Fargo.

Taylor said whether the Bison could play the Sioux in 2010 in football won't be known until NDSU learns its Gateway Football Conference schedule for 2010. After the Bison conference schedule is set, Taylor said NDSU's first priority will be to secure a nonconference home game and its second priority will be to secure a nonconference Division I-A game.

Could UND-NDSU be the 2010 home game if everything lined up correctly as far as open dates?

The Missoulian: Griz search for 11th 2008 game

Looks like Montana is still looking for an 11th game for next season. 2008 is also a season that DI schools can schedule 12 games, so ultimately they may be looking for 2 games for next season.

Just pointing that out. :)

This caught my attention:

Appalachian State's victory over Michigan continues to complicate matters a little bit more for teams in our division,

Interesting that after all the years in the Big Sky, that Montana still has to pay 50,000 to fill schedule with a RMAC D2 School....?

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6978479

That's the norm.

NDSU last year got and this year is getting a check from Minnesota. (This year that should be vice versa. :(:lol: )

UND got a check from UNI.

Smaller budget teams will only walk into buzz-saws for a price.

That's the norm.

NDSU last year got and this year is getting a check from Minnesota. (This year that should be vice versa. :D:( )

UND got a check from UNI.

Smaller budget teams will only walk into buzz-saws for a price.

So our future (UND) holds that we will still be playing the Moorheads and Crookstons of the area just paying them more......Great Idea....? :lol:

So our future (UND) holds that we will still be playing the Moreheads and Crookstons of the area just paying them more......Great Idea....? :lol:

One of the things that has changed for both NDSU and SDSU is the increase in attendance. I don't think that having Crookston or Moorhead come to the Alerus every year is going to bode well for attendance. but getting UNI, Idaho State or Montana State will boost the numbers and make the money being paid to get them there well worth it.

So our future (UND) holds that we will still be playing the Moreheads and Crookstons of the area just paying them more......Great Idea....? :lol:

Sadly, market rate is going to go up no matter what. That's the constant. Consider it more bang for the buck. And instead of the MSU (can't manage a clock vs Concordia) Moorhead Dragons or UM-Crookston it'll be Alpo, er, I mean Valpo :( and such.

Sadly, market rate is going to go up no matter what. That's the constant. Consider it more bang for the buck. And instead of the MSU (can't manage a clock vs Concordia) Moorhead Dragons or UM-Crookston it'll be Alpo, er, I mean Valpo :D and such.

I doubt it will matter much to the fair weather fans you have. :(