SiouxSports.com Forum

DI scheduling

dakotadan

Minnesota's new TCF Bank Stadium (opening in 2009) will only hold about 50,000. With that capacity, Minnesota would likely sell out out against any of the four Dakota schools. More importantly, it's my opinion that despite what Maturi wants, Minnesota will never play UND as long as we are called the Fighting Sioux -- no matter what happens with the lawsuit. Maturi will decide it's simply not important enough for him to expend political capital butting heads with the PC wack-jobs on campus. I think our closest DI-A option will be Iowa State as long as we retain our nickname.

I agree. I was thinking in terms of if we would have moved up at the same time as the xDSU's, and certain Big 10 schools did not have their idiotic policies, I think that UW and UMTC would have jumped at the chance to bring in UND for basketball and football games due to the history we already have with those schools.

I'm alot more concerned about basketball scheduling than I am about football scheduling, due to the shear number of games needed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see maybe and a big maybe Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa coming to GF maybe Iowa State. If NDSU beats Minnesota this season wouldn't Minnesota want to try to beat them in the Fargodome. Same thing if the Sioux beat these teams not to mention crush them in hockey too. I could see them coming to GF.

Can I have some Kool-aid too? ;)

Can I have some Kool-aid too? ;)

Who would have thought that a D1 powerhouse basketball team would come up to Grand Forks ND to play a D2 basketball team who wasn't all that good to begin with..but it happened. I am not saying when the Sioux hit I-AA they will schedule I-A teams to GF it may take 5 or 10yrs, but it may happen. ;)

Who would have thought that a D1 powerhouse basketball team would come up to Grand Forks ND to play a D2 basketball team who wasn't all that good to begin with..but it happened. I am not saying when the Sioux hit I-AA they will schedule I-A teams to GF it may take 5 or 10yrs, but it may happen. ;)

I assume you mean Kansas? If so, the reason was Jeff Boschee. The Kansas coach had a thing where he tried to schedule a game against a regional team from each players hometowns. He considered The Goofs and then UND for Boschee. I believe Boschee wanted UND but its been a while and my mind is a little fuzzy on the details. While certain circumstances may occure that would bring a team here once in a blue moon, no major programs will come here regularly for a period much longer than you think, if ever. Even a mid-major is doubtful in 10 years. IA teams just don't travel to IAA and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

• 2 months later...

No real "Breaking News" here but still interesting to read.

The D-I debate: Who will USD play?

"Montana State, for instance, is someone we're having conversations with. There are several Louisiana schools, several Texas schools and several Gateway (Conference) schools," Nielsen said.

On the basketball court, Nielsen said the regional D-I schools in the area will make up much of the basketball schedule in the transition period. He mentioned teams like Drake, Creighton and Northern Iowa, but it's no longer out of the question for the Coyotes to match up with larger schools.

Nielsen also said USD will be pushing to be involved in some of the larger basketball tournaments taking place through Thanksgiving, such as the Maui Invitational and the Great Alaska Shootout.

"We are talking to several Big 10 schools and Big 12 schools right now about getting into their big holiday tournaments," he said. "We'll get in those."

No real "Breaking News" here but still interesting to read.

The D-I debate: Who will USD play?

In 2008 and 2009, Nielsen is concentrating on that average to qualify. In addition, USD must have the mandatory six wins to qualify for a bowl game. Nielsen said to look for a big time game in 2010, though, when the Coyotes should be in a position to play against such an opponent in football.

Bowl game? USD must be reading the Fargo Forum.

• 1 month later...

Brian Jones was just on the Dan Hammer show. He mentioned that UND will be playing in a tournement at Drake next year. They usually host a tournament in early December that has often included several independents such as NDSU, Chicago St., and UTPA recently.

He also mentioned he's been visiting with Ben Jacobsen at UNI about getting a home-and-home going.

He was asked if Iowa St. would be making a return trip to GF in the future but said that McDermott hasn't been to keen on that. :D I had hoped that this weekend's game was maybe the first part of 2-for-1 contract.

Geauxsioux already posted this link in the basketball forum, but I thought this little blurb from it should be here also:

The Fighting Sioux will play a good share of next season's games on the road. Iowa State is its only Division I opponent this season. There will be many more next season, including possible tournaments hosted by Drake and Iowa State. North Dakota hopes that the Summit League expands in a year, giving it a Division I conference home.

"Our home schedule will not be real pretty (in 2008-09),'' Jones said. "It will be a hard year.''

Brian Jones was just on the Dan Hammer show. He mentioned that UND will be playing in a tournement at Drake next year. They usually host a tournament in early December that has often included several independents such as NDSU, Chicago St., and UTPA recently.

He also mentioned he's been visiting with Ben Jacobsen at UNI about getting a home-and-home going.

He was asked if Iowa St. would be making a return trip to GF in the future but said that McDermott hasn't been to keen on that. :lol: I had hoped that this weekend's game was maybe the first part of 2-for-1 contract.

Does Ben still have family ties to Mayville? That would help.