SiouxSports.com Forum

DI scheduling

dakotadan

I didn't see a thread that this would fit into and am sure that over the next 2 years we will discuss this more and more.

During the broadcast of the basketball games tonight, head baseball coach Kelvin Ziegler talked about the DI scheduling that he has already been doing.

'09 baseball scheduled games:

Kansas

Kansas State

Northern Iowa

Minnesota

Creighton

Pepperdine

Home and aways

NDSU

SDSU

He said that so far the contract with Minnesota is still in place. I would assume that the UofM will honor contracts already in place.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

We should also not forget that this article in the Herald said that the contract for the 2006 football game against UNI contained an option for two more games with the Panthers should UND move to DI.

UND athletic director Tom Buning said the contract between the Sioux and Northern Iowa contained an option for two more games, contingent on UND becoming a Division I-AA program.

.....................Buning said it's possible the remaining two games between the Sioux and Panthers would be a home-and-home series.

With Tim Tibesar's rapid ascent to defensive coordinator at Kansas State, I would think that once UND is a counter for I-A teams, K-State (or wherever Tibesar is a head coach by then) would be a strong possibility for an opponent. Also, it will be interesting to see whether Buning has any pull in terms of scheduling Army. As an aside, considering Gene Taylor came to NDSU from Navy, isn't it somewhat surprising that the Bison haven't played Navy in any sport?

With the difficulty that NDSU has been having getting home games, UND may very well experience the same difficulty begining in 2008. With the Southland adding a team (Central Arkansas) and the Gateway almost certainly adding NDSU and SDSU (Chapman will be in St Louis in February not to apply but to accept the invitation, IMHO), schools in those two conferences will need many fewer games. Getting to 7 FCS games, the criteria to be a counter for FCS opponents, will be a major chore. UNI probably wouldn't come to Grand Forks until the game is a counter. If the FCS went to 12 games in 2008, that would help UND.

In the meantime, teams almost definitely on UND's 2008 schedule would include:

UC-Davis

Cal Poly

Southern Utah

South Dakota

and very likely most if not all the members of the new GNAC football conference, which need games badly,

C Washington

W Washington

Dixie St

Humboldt St

W Oregon

Not that they're a particularly appealing opponent these days, but I wonder why Northern Colorado hasn't been playing the SU's of late in either football or basketball?

In BB, I have no idea; in FB, the last I heard was that after waiting for their respective wish list teams to play, the dates left open didn't match. It doesn't seem like this is a priority matchup for either team anymore.

With the difficulty that NDSU has been having getting home games, UND may very well experience the same difficulty begining in 2008. With the Southland adding a team (Central Arkansas) and the Gateway almost certainly adding NDSU and SDSU (Chapman will be in St Louis in February not to apply but to accept the invitation, IMHO), schools in those two conferences will need many fewer games. Getting to 7 FCS games, the criteria to be a counter for FCS opponents, will be a major chore. UNI probably wouldn't come to Grand Forks until the game is a counter. If the FCS went to 12 games in 2008, that would help UND.

In the meantime, teams almost definitely on UND's 2008 schedule would include:

UC-Davis

Cal Poly

Southern Utah

South Dakota

and very likely most if not all the members of the new GNAC football conference, which need games badly,

C Washington

W Washington

Dixie St

Humboldt St

W Oregon

That is a terrible schedule. Poly and Davis will both produce a "L" for UND while So Utah is a tossup. The rest, UND shoould be able to get through them. Why isn't UND trying to schedule schools like New Hampshire, Maine and Holy Cross (i.e. hockey tie-in) to get the DI schedule rolling?

That is a terrible schedule. Poly and Davis will both produce a "L" for UND while So Utah is a tossup. The rest, UND shoould be able to get through them. Why isn't UND trying to schedule schools like New Hampshire, Maine and Holy Cross (i.e. hockey tie-in) to get the DI schedule rolling?

Wasn't "everyone" assuming that UND was scheduling a loss last year with UNI? ;)

Wasn't "everyone" assuming that UND was scheduling a loss last year with UNI? ;)

Well, yeah. That includes myself. Remember, I lost the "jersey bet" with my sioux friend over that game. Also, remember that UND beat a UNI team that, by year's end, proved to be vastly overranked. Not to knock the sioux because they deserved that hard-fought win, but day in and day out in I-AA (FCS), UND will win roughly half of such games. The rest will be heartbreakers or blowouts. It's a high level every weekend and playing tough once & awhile won't cut it. That's the truth and I think you will find that out in the next couple of seasons.

I just do not understand this nonsense about how we will suffer when we move up. Some people said that the bison would have such a hard time moving up and would have many a loss. All that did was lead to egg on the face of those people when the bison turned out pretty decent. Now we have some bison fans saying the same things that some Sioux fans said. Can they not see where this is headed?? ;)

Well, yeah. That includes myself. Remember, I lost the "jersey bet" with my sioux friend over that game. Also, remember that UND beat a UNI team that, by year's end, proved to be vastly overranked. Not to knock the sioux because they deserved that hard-fought win, but day in and day out in I-AA (FCS), UND will win roughly half of such games. The rest will be heartbreakers or blowouts. It's a high level every weekend and playing tough once & awhile won't cut it. That's the truth and I think you will find that out in the next couple of seasons.

YET ndsu did it :D ...exceeding expectations at almost every turn DESPITE the same predictions made for them...but how did they do it? By TOTALLY DOMINATING Division II before they left? HARDLY!!! :angry: You guys act like you're the most amazing transition story in the history of NCAA athletics...YOU'RE NOT! ANY school that's willing to put the bucks up front will (and has done) just as well as you. Will you dorks just admit it and say di-aa is a "step up" but NOT a HUGE step for a well-established winning program? As you've shown...its just a matter of paying talent (via scholarship) to come to your school? Don't worry - we'll have that covered just like you did! And we'll see what happens...assuming you guys are "willing" to play us... :lol:

Why isn't UND trying to schedule schools like New Hampshire, Maine and Holy Cross (i.e. hockey tie-in) to get the DI schedule rolling?

It would seem to me that we could make a deal with a school that has a not so great hockey team and a pretty good basketball team. They could get a chance to schedule a "big non-confrence game" against us in hockey and we would get the same in basketball. I don't really know how that stuff works but it seems like a good idea to me.

Unless you know something I don't, I'm pretty sure you'll need 6 DI games, not 7, to be a DI counter in 2008. The requirement is more than 50% of a schedule consisting of at least 9 games. For a 11 game season, that would be 6 games. For a 12 game season, it would be 7. (bylaw 20.9.8.2)

Why the alias...ndsubison?

Because I was kicked off this board last year for some hostile comments I made. I've intentionally kept it toned down under my alias and will keep my choice comments confined to bisonville, where it's (obviously) more accepted. Now that my cover's blown, let's see how long it takes Jimdahl to give ol'johnny the boot?? ;)

Because I was kicked off this board last year for some hostile comments I made. I've intentionally kept it toned down under my alias and will keep my choice comments confined to bisonville, where it's (obviously) more accepted. Now that my cover's blown, let's see how long it takes Jimdahl to give ol'johnny the boot?? ;)

Given your great first impression (as johnnyroyale) I am sure jimdahl will go easy on you...

I am sure the SiouxSports.com faithful would love to see a picture of you wearing the Sioux jersey at the FFD...call it a peace offering. :angry:

Given your great first impression (as johnnyroyale) I am sure jimdahl will go easy on you...

I am sure the SiouxSports.com faithful would love to see a picture of you wearing the Sioux jersey at the FFD...call it a peace offering. :lol:

I was about to go digging for the same post. Your arrival on the board was... perhaps less subtle and secretive than you thought. :angry: We are all waiting for the photo, though...

I was about to go digging for the same post. Your arrival on the board was... perhaps less subtle and secretive than you thought. :lol: We are all waiting for the photo, though...

I would love to give you a photo, but that whole weekend was really screwy. Not alcohol screwy, just schedule screwy. I actually attended that game (NDSU/SDSU) with my Sioux friend and both my boys. The crowd was nuts and I was more concerned keeping track of my boys than posing for photo-ops. Don't worry--my friend and I have a running bet on the jersey thing (because last year was sooooooooo fun) so there will be more episodes to follow, both ways. I promise that next time I will bring a camera and submit proof. Ideally, I hoped to have a kid-less wknd and go tailgating, hit the game, and then hit some bars in dwntwn Fgo. That didn't happen last year but maybe in 2-3 yrs. It's good fun for everybody and I never had a shower that felt so good afterwords..... :angry: