SiouxSports.com Forum

Ziggy

drone

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On USCHO, someone posted that Kasey Moreland had been discussing possibly playing for the Sioux next year as well. Anyone else hear anything about this? My god that's alot of goalies. Maybe they'll have 8 or 9 goalies for tryouts and just pick the 4 best ones. ???

That's ok, after reading your recap it's obvious I wasn't quite accurate with everything. Oops. My memory is already shot.

Nah, Fore-check you got the meat of the conversation of the Coaches show, there really wasn

On USCHO, someone posted that Kasey Moreland had been discussing possibly playing for the Sioux next year as well.  Anyone else hear anything about this?  My god that's alot of goalies.  Maybe they'll have 8 or 9 goalies for tryouts and just pick the 4 best ones. ???

I heard something to that, however, I think Kasey is going to play some Jr Hockey first.

I guess one could make the argument that you can never have enough goalies.

Oh yeah one more thing from the coaches show. Apparenlty UND fans want a walk out or a strike in the NHL, in two more years the collective bargining agreement in the NHL is going to expire. So it appears the maybe a work stoppage in the NHL. If that happens Blais said that more than likely Zack would still be here. Come on NHL strike...

There seems to be a tendency starting for teams to look toward Europe. Some real force players are coming from over there... The 2 that come to mind are Peter Sejna and Tomas Vanek. Sejna is arguably the best player in the country and Vanek (despite being a Dirty Gopher) looks to have a good college career in front of him.

So.... If Coach Blais has found some awesome goalie hiding in Slovakia or something, Ill be all for it. Bring him on over, I'd give him a shot. Not to put down Lammy, Sedevie, or Ziggy or any one else, but it just may be crazy enough to work.

Good Luck Sioux against Wisco.

STAY WARM IN GF

How many goalies can UND have on its roster? Anyone know the answer to this?

They have a max number that a team can dress in a night, but there is no limit on how many you can have in the program.

So I guess they can have as many as they can find scholarships for!!! ???

Now I know this is completely hearsay, so take it for what it's worth. I just thought this was interesting.

I was talking to one of my professors this morning, who is a huge Sioux hockey fan, and she told me that her daughter goes to school with Kasey Moreland. Word among the high school kids ??? is that SCSU wants Kasey, and made him an offer for after he's spent 2 years in the juniors. UND then made a counter offer saying that they would take him after 1 year in the juniors.

Now, of course I have no way of knowing if this is true, but if it is true, then the Sioux are going to have their pick of goalies. Assuming Ziegleman still plans on trying out next year (and makes the team), and assuming that Sedevie is able to play hockey again and will join the team next year, by 2004-2005 the goalie roster would look like this:

Moreland - freshman

Lamaroux - freshman

Sedevie - sophomore

Ziegleman - sophomore

Brandt - senior

Siembida - senior

That is an awful lot of goalies, and I have a hard time believing that A) the coaches would keep that many talented goalies around and not use them all, and B) that any one of them would want to fight with 5 other goalies for a starting position.

Just some food for thought.

2004-2005 the goalie roster would look like this:

Moreland - freshman

Lamaroux - freshman

Sedevie - sophomore

Ziegleman - sophomore

Brandt - senior

Siembida - senior

That is an awful lot of goalies

??? That looks to be one of those things that is both a luxury and a curse. Having all that talent between the pipes is good, but I seriously doubt that Blaiser will have enough scholarship money to go around. It aslo means that some hard decisions are going to have to be made.

If any of the "new 4" really excell it may mean having to cut either Brandt or Bida. I have a feeling that Moreland will end up in St. Cloud because of his brother there are still 3 top notch goalies. Another issue that will probably come into effect is the fact that the non-commited of the 4 will probably realize that there is going to be a goalie-bottle neck in Grand Forks, and may inspire some to go else where especially where there is another team that is a guarentee of being the #1 and not be in such a cut-throat situation.

p.s. Doesnt any one think it may be a little weird seeing a MORELAND in a Sioux jersey.... It weird enought to see a HAUSER on the womens team even though there is no realation in that case. ???

p.s. Doesnt any one think it may be a little weird seeing a MORELAND in a Sioux jersey.... It weird enought to see  a HAUSER on the womens team even though there is no realation in that case. ???

Actually, although I was drinking at the time, I'm pretty sure Tawnie Hauser said that Adam was her cousin. At least I remember asking if there was any relation. ???

??? That looks to be one of those things that is both a luxury and a curse. Having all that talent between the pipes is good, but I seriously doubt that Blaiser will have enough scholarship money to go around. It aslo means that some hard decisions are going to have to be made.

If any of the "new 4" really excell it may mean having to cut either Brandt or Bida. I have a feeling that Moreland will end up in St. Cloud because of his brother there are still 3 top notch goalies. Another issue that will probably come into effect is the fact that the non-commited of the 4 will probably realize that there is going to be a goalie-bottle neck in Grand Forks, and may inspire some to go else where especially where there is another team that is a guarentee of being the #1 and not be in such a cut-throat situation.

p.s. Doesnt any one think it may be a little weird seeing a MORELAND in a Sioux jersey.... It weird enought to see a HAUSER on the womens team even though there is no realation in that case. ???

I think Moreland would look really good in a Sioux Jersey. I hope we get him. Kasey and Lammy would be a good rotation. Throw Lane and Ziggy into the mix the goaltending might be pretty good. Competition would be good.

if Brandt calms down, he could be a very good goalie.  He just looks too nervous when he is in the game

I think they're all nervous. You would be too, knowing that you're going to get yanked from the start tomorrow if you don't win tonight... That's the way it's been all year. A few years ago, if Karl were to lose on Friday, he'd still be taking shots Saturday night. I don't think our guys have been given the "prove yourself" opportunity that they should've gotten.

IMO a #1 goaltender needed to be picked before the second half of the season started. This flip-switch-change around-hokey pokey BS is killing these guys. Yes, I realize mental toughness is key for a successfull goalie. Well, our goalies all have what seems to be a very fragile psyche, and the "door number 1, 2, or 3 game" is NOT cutting it.

Furthermore, is this affecting the rest of the team? I say yes. You need a comfort zone... and how can you be confident in a different goalie every night?! You won't be...and it's starting to show.

forecheck,

In response to your earlier post, I know a relative of Kasey's, and he/she (to protect innocence) said that he was going to the USHL.....Lincoln Stars is the rumor.....and after that was looking at SCSU(heritage). Now, I gave a piece of my mind, as I followed Kasey, and watched all but 1 home game, and 3 on the road games....not much dedication, but I have my own schedule and home games are a part of that....away games were not!

So, I am SO hoping that the "counter offer" will hold true! This kid had a team in front of him, I have to agree with the skeptic's, but I'll tell you what, this guy was relaxed and showed more 'basic skills' than I have ever seen. I'm not comparing, and don't quote me as I only see what I see, but he plays at a collegiate level every game. Every kid that doesn't rack 'em up, score 'em big, stand out big-time, give great a new name should not have a shot at D-1 right out of High School...Zach is the exception to the rule!!! However, Kasey is one of those kids that is quiet, calm, doesn't point the neon lights toward himself, and is more worried about how the team is doing than what his stat's are. That's exactly what this crew needs.....in my opinion of course! I mean, who wants a kid that looks at his stat's daily and worries about how "he will look to others".....I'd rather see a kid that realizes what it means to actually make the team and works hard to keep things going in the right direction.

I remember a Ziegelman doing the same things, but I also remember the shots on goal....and believe me or read the stats.....he didn't face the shots that Kasey did. Although I'd be just as happy to see Nate come back to Grand Forks, I have gotten to know Kasey from behind the glass, and he isn't one to brag about the little things, nor will he lose his cool over getting pulled or letting in a cheesy goal.....knowing him, I'd see him working harder at practice and pushing himself into a "stellar" season!

So, this can of worms was opened by your spark of saying that "you heard that........counter offer.....something something" ! That's all I need to hear.....I hope there's some truth here.....in what you heard....not what you say!!!

If anyone reads this that knows Kasey on a talk-to basis, pass this message to him,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Look past your brother's legacy, and build your own! It would look good on TV to hear of your family success at 2 different colleges!!!!

Enjoy the Juniors, and then come home to a comfortable jersey!!!

Let's face it, finding an incredible goaltender is not easy and is somewhat of a crap-shoot. Some of the biggest names coming into college haven't always panned out. Adam Hauser for example.

We as fans are too conditioned to expect the same great goaltending that we saw from the Aaron Schweitzer/Karl Goehring era. That said, if you are going by numbers, Jake Brandt isn't doing that bad. I believe he is second in the league in goals against average. I am not quite certain about his save percentage, but I believe it is hovering about 90, not great, but ahead of a lot of goaltenders that are not being so discredited. The bottom line for me is wins and losses. If our goaltenders are making the big saves when they are needed and allowing the team to win on a regular basis I'm not going to be hyper-critical. The problem lately is that we haven't been winning. From what I've heard, Marc Ranfranz had a few decent games but wasn't rewarded. The bottom line in those games was that the other goaltender outplayed ours. Jake Brandt hasn't played very much lately, but he only has two losses, against Colorado College and Minnesota, not exactly bad teams. The Colorado game was probably one he would like to have back, but the team as a whole let down after the 3-0 lead.

I do think that consistency is a problem, but he hasn't had the luxury of being inconsistent lately.

Back to the original topic, if Ziegelmann wants to come in and is willing to compete, why wouldn't we want him to when finding a goaltender isn't always a scientific equation. The more goaltenders to choose from gives us better odds. If goaltenders near the top of the USHL in many categories are not the answer, then where do we start our search? Canada hasn't given us an Ed Belfour or Darren Jensen lately. The Sioux will have to make due with what they have for now and hope that numbers can give us an edge in the search.