SiouxSports.com Forum

Ziggy

drone

Hey Sioux fans, I have been reading this board for some time, but haven't yet had reason to post.

I have heard from a reliable source that Ziggy is planning on walking on at UND next year. He has turned down scholarship offers from both CC and Duluth.

This could really shake up the goaltending situation next year. Who knows if he will make the team, but anybody who has followed his career knows that he has the capabilities.

Perhaps other people from this board have heard the same information and can verify.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see that because he is from GF, he knows the status with the Sioux goaltenders. He knows that we currently have 3 fairly good (when they play their best) goalies, with 2 more recruits coming in over the next two years. Blais mentioned hes gonna have to make some hard line decisions, so it could be gettin rid of some goalies, but I think that Blais will tell Ziggy to spend some time in the USHL so he is ready for UND and if we need him throughout the school year, he can always bring him in.

So, let us go here if we may! He came from a team (Red River HS) that allowed less that 15 shots per game (on the average). He is proving himself in the USHL, but I believe the last any of us got the low-down, the Sioux were done recruiting goalies for a while. Now, a college education is a college education, hence you pick a school that has your desired course of study. Why would anyone (with his talent) try to walk-on a team that has their athletic position filled??? Ziegelman, Lamoureux, they were arch-rivals in High School...they play on the same team with similar stats now. Why in tarnation would Ziegelman try to come to a school that already recruited a goalie that is trying to steal his limelight now???

My advice to Nate, although I'd love to see both he and Phillip here NEXT year, is to go where the free education is and worry about the home crowd when he's finished his hockey career. At that point he can come to UND as the next coach that will take us to the next 7 NCAA championships (and at that point impress his friends and neighbors)!

After watching the ND High School tournaments tonight, I remember watching Nate play. I agree, he has more than hockey skill to bring to any team, but trying to walk-on the UND roster is like waiting for the lottery numbers to pop into one's head. It happens on occasion (few and far between), but it's not likely to happen to the same person/position (goalie) with any certainty!

Go wherever you can get the sholarship and leave your pride at the arena door...although, as I stessed earlier, if you can find a way to climb aboard this Sioux freight-train with your buddy Phillip, I'll be the first in line to support your every save!

Isn't Lamoureux coming to the Sioux in two years and Sedevie coming next year? I don't remember. Either way, if Ziggy wanted to walk on the team, that would be alot of goalies. Sofie, Brandt, Siembida, Sedevie, and Ziggy. That's quite a few. And only Sofie would graduate by the time Phillipe comes to the team. Not that I care how many goalies we have, as long as a few of them can stop the puck on a consistent basis.

I want to see Kasey Moreland in a Sioux uniform.  ???

I totally agree!

Kasey has had a strong year, and he has the personality traits to remain consistent! He's tall, has great positioning, and his stats are the best I've seen! His team played strong in front of him, but you have to look at his save percentage. I watched him take quality shots all year making great saves, and the best part is, he looked good doing it!

Hopefully Blais will look his way!

Isn't Lamoureux coming to the Sioux in two years and Sedevie coming next year? I don't remember. Either way, if Ziggy wanted to walk on the team, that would be alot of goalies. Sofie, Brandt, Siembida, Sedevie, and Ziggy. That's quite a few. And only Sofie would graduate by the time Phillipe comes to the team. Not that I care how many goalies we have, as long as a few of them can stop the puck on a consistent basis.

Here is a profound thought, good bye Sofie, we owe him nothing you have done nothing, good bye Brandt and Siembieda thanks for playing, you just didn't do it when you were called upon. I think it is time for UND to move on in the goalie department get some new blood in there and move on. I am sorry but this team is loaded and goal tending is holding them back. Maybe UND needs to go to Canada and get a top flight goalie from Western Canada.

I'm not sure about everyone, but I get the feeling (from Siouxrock in particular) that some people would rather see Moreland brought in instead of Lamoureux. Would Philipe have been a senior at GFC this year if he hadn't jumped ship to the USHL? If not, my next few sentences are moot, but if so, who do you think is farther along in their development at this point? Unless you're prepared to have a guy come straight out of NDHS to play for the Sioux, it doesn't make sense to talk about bringing in both Moreland and Lamoureux!

Obviously, the real issue is how does UND solve their goaltending situation for NEXT year, not '04-'05 when the aforementioned players will be ready. Maybe Ziggy is a step in that direction. I really don't think it can hurt at this point.

Reality check people:

Would you rather have a top five goalie from ND HS hockey or a top five goalie from the USHL?

GFC's Moreland will be a solid collegiate goalie somewhere is my guess. But it won't be next year. He needs at least one season of junior experience to see more shots and a better quality of shots.

Obviously Moreland is good goalie, but he isn't going to be playing at any college next year. Some seasoning in the USHL is a given.

RE: Ziggy. I may be in the minority here, but if a goalie with his credentials has the cocky/confident attitude to turn down a scholarship and walk-on and become "the man" for the Sioux, then I want him on the team.

Obviously Moreland is good goalie, but he isn't going to be playing at any college next year. Some seasoning in the USHL is a given.

RE: Ziggy. I may be in the minority here, but if a goalie with his credentials has the cocky/confident attitude to turn down a scholarship and walk-on and become "the man" for the Sioux, then I want him on the team.

How accurate is the report that Ziggy has turned down a Scholarship to walk on at UND.

I mean really nice story but has it been verified. Maybe someone close to him can confirm or deny this rumor...

How accurate is the report that Ziggy has turned down a Scholarship to walk on at UND.

I mean really nice story but has it been verified. Maybe someone close to him can confirm or deny this rumor...

I'm not holding my breath. With all due respect to drone, who could be Coach Blais for all I know, we've all seen "reliable sources" quoted on the internet, more often than not they are wrong.

Time will bear out whether this will or won't be the case. I for one won't think much about it until something more "official" comes to light.

Drone, I'm not trying to dis you. But we have no history with you to know how credible your info is.

Siembida looks like he's lost his confidence. He turned toward the net twice on that first goal Sunday. (Confident guys turn away from the net because they just know the puck won't be in there.) A year in juniors somewhere (similar to what Fylling did) would probably help him get the confidence back.

Sofie eats up pucks in practice but hasn't been able to crack this season's starters list. I'm starting to wonder if some of the pucks he takes in practice shouldn't be going to other guys to help them improve.

I had hopes for Ranfranz. Then came that Saturday Mankato game. (Five goals on 21 shots.) I don't know what to think now. Which was "the real" Marc Ranfranz: the one that dueled DU's Dubie for 59:58 or Saturday in Mankato?

Jake Brandt? He has the best numbers in conference games (0.901, 2.50). He just doesn't seem to put together solid back-to-back performances.

Siembida looks like he's lost his confidence. He turned toward the net twice on that first goal Sunday. (Confident guys turn away from the net because they just know the puck won't be in there.) A year in juniors somewhere (similar to what Fylling did) would probably help him get the confidence back.

Sofie eats up pucks in practice but hasn't been able to crack this season's starters list. I'm starting to wonder if some of the pucks he takes in practice shouldn't be going to other guys to help them improve.

I had hopes for Ranfranz. Then came that Saturday Mankato game. (Five goals on 21 shots.) I don't know what to think now. Which was "the real" Marc Ranfranz: the one that dueled DU's Dubie for 59:58 or Saturday in Mankato?

Jake Brandt? He has the best numbers in conference games (0.901, 2.50). He just doesn't seem to put together solid back-to-back performances.

I agree, Sic. I think that Saturday game at Mankato showed the fans what Blais probably sees in practice. It would explain his reticence to rely on Marc earlier, and also why we may not have seen him this past weekend.

Hey, I'm not goalie coach, never played, so who am I to comment as if I know anything, but I'll say this. I was at the first game at Mankato. Ranfranz only let in a couple goals so who is to complain, but there were some scary saves. For instance, in one case he's facing the shooter. Ranny stood there as the puck came at him. He didn't close the pads just watched it come in and hit his one leg pad. On another occasion the puck was slowly sliding right to him. Instead of closing up and protecting the net he swipes at it, sort of like he one-timed it. If he misses, it goes right in.

Now I have watched him play against CC and was very impressed. So my point is that he is either very good, or maybe very lucky. I'm not trying to be critical but there is a reason Blais isn't playing him all the time, and that Saturday night against Mankato might be more of what Blais sees in practice than we have seen in game play. If so, that might account for why he hasn't been playing.

Why would Dean want to get rid of Phil? It seems a bit to early to get rid of the kid, Especially since his offer isn't until the 04 season. I realize that the Lamoureux's have tradition at UND, but I hardly think Blais would recruit a kid only based on who his father is. Phil is a good goalie and stands on his own merits. I know there are several people who have watched Phil play since he's been in Lincoln. Sioux Rock, are you one of those people? I haven't heard of a coach offering a player a scholarship only because their dad or grandfather or uncle or who ever played for the team. Blais is his own person and I'm sure if he didn't think Phil would be an asset to the team, He wouldn't have offered the scholarship. As far as Ziggy is concerned, I've not heard anything one way or another regarding his plans to walk on or to go another route. Either which way it goes, I wish Ziggy luck when his time in Lincoln is done, and I'm sure Phil will do just fine when he suits up for UND.