SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Fight

driscol

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love ESPO too, he is on XM radio all the time and he gets worked up and then he ussually drops a swear word or two also, classic. Knows his hockey though.

I love his show! Except it always sounds like he's eating. Must be the dentures slopping around. ;)

We could argue this topic all day long but I believe a large part of it comes down to what the fans want. It was stated on TSN Canada this past week that 87% of fans still want fighting in the game, while 13% want less or no fighting. With that kind of lopsided poll, it's obvious what the NHL will do pertaining to fighting.

The NHL has classed up in recent years in that the majority of players on teams can actually play hockey, and play it well. Yes, there are few players out there who are brought on to a team in the role of an enforcer, but it does appear that the NHL is leaning to making that person contribute in other ways to the game other than fighting.

Maybe someday, fighting will be eliminated from the game, but right now, with 87% of fans wanting it, I don't see them eliminating it totally. I do think the NHL has done a very good job of reducing the number of fights in a game. However, I guess I'm somewhat old school in that I think a fight can turn around your team when they need it most. I don't want players to get injured, and for the most part, that doesn't happen as a result of fighting. However, hockey is a physical game, and as Redwing77's favorite player, Tie Domi said the other night, "If you don't want to play a physical game, go and get some toe picks and figure skate."

You can argue about whether or not fighting is cool in hockey or not all you want. But the real issue here is whether Fedoruk is the dumbest man alive. What in the hell was he thinking?

EXACTLY, he got what he asked for

If you are for players policing themselves, then are you ok with the Bertuzzi incedent a couple years ago where he broke the neck of the the Colorado player.

that was a very bad sitution and i think we would all agree on that but that doesnt seem to be the trend with players getting hurt like that. bertuzzi is a goon for sure. that was just a dumb azz idiot taking things to a level that should never be taken to.

that was a very bad sitution and i think we would all agree on that but that doesnt seem to be the trend with players getting hurt like that. bertuzzi is a goon for sure. that was just a dumb azz idiot taking things to a level that should never be taken to.

Exactly.Acts like that happen in every sport.I hope fighting never leaves the NHL.I for one enjoy 2 guys goin 1 on 1,with their fists.

Maybe someday, fighting will be eliminated from the game, but right now, with 87% of fans wanting it, I don't see them eliminating it totally.

I understand that most NHL fans want fighting in the game. The question is, does keeping fighting in the game hurt hockey's image to the point where it prevents the game from becoming as popular as it could be? I think it does. As long as the NHL has no intention of expanding its fan base, then keeping the game as it is becomes a no-brainer. But as long as the pros choose to keep fighting as a major part of the game, it will always be viewed by many sports fans as being on the same level of professional wrestling.

Is that a fair perception? No. But I know from firsthand experience that the image of hockey as a sport for brawlers stops many people from developing an interest in it. And that's too bad because hockey is an amazing sport to watch and play. It has always irked me that much of the public sees hockey as a sport of senseless violence and fighting rather than a sport of speed, creativity and skill I know it to be.

Yup. Part of the game. With that much money involved in a sport I think anything goes! FIGHT, FALL, BLEED!

Boogard seemed to know what he was doing. Grabbed Fedorik right in the middle of his shirt so he could control Fedork and at the same time give him a couple of shots with his left hand, then he popped him with the right.

Fedorik was all over the place; not under control at all. Thats what happens when you don't know what your doing.

Its part of the game! Protecting other players exist, cheap hits, ect. Tempers rise and BOOM, a deliverd hit. If you dont like the punches, womens hockey is the way to go. My god people lol And most fights are not as brutal as this one, but I bet he never f**ks with the boog anymore ;) WOW what a bone crushing punch

I understand that most NHL fans want fighting in the game. The question is, does keeping fighting in the game hurt hockey's image to the point where it prevents the game from becoming as popular as it could be? I think it does. As long as the NHL has no intention of expanding its fan base, then keeping the game as it is becomes a no-brainer. But as long as the pros choose to keep fighting as a major part of the game, it will always be viewed by many sports fans as being on the same level of professional wrestling.

Is that a fair perception? No. But I know from firsthand experience that the image of hockey as a sport for brawlers stops many people from developing an interest in it. And that's too bad because hockey is an amazing sport to watch and play. It has always irked me that much of the public sees hockey as a sport of senseless violence and fighting rather than a sport of speed, creativity and skill I know it to be.

I agree with this, I Love hockey, My Girls love watching Sioux hockey, But I can't just let my girls ( who are 3 and 6) just watch pro hockey with the violence that happens in every game. If my daughter askes me why the fight, am I to say that it is part of the game.

I can see it know, I answer the phone this winter from another kids parents who had thier kid get hit by mine playing hockey, am a to tell that parent that too bad, its part of the game.

Then why do you bother to follow college hockey? ;)

Oh I don't know maybe because the fighting part is one of many reasons I love about the game.Personally I like the college game better than the NHL but when I'm watching the pro's a good donnybrook isn't a bad thing IMO.I must love the game I've been coaching it for 20 years,wouldn't know what to do in the winter without it.

That's not a good stat to use to defend him. At that rate he'll be in 32 fights this season. That's not something to be proud of at all.

if a good majority of the fights happen because the other team is taking runs at gaborik and company then each one of those fights is well worth it. each team needs someone to throw down at anytime or stars in the league will be getting blasted out there with no consequences.

p.s. i wouldnt mess a with a guy almost 7 feet tall nicknamed the boogeyman ;)

I agree with this, I Love hockey, My Girls love watching Sioux hockey, But I can't just let my girls ( who are 3 and 6) just watch pro hockey with the violence that happens in every game. If my daughter askes me why the fight, am I to say that it is part of the game.

I can see it know, I answer the phone this winter from another kids parents who had thier kid get hit by mine playing hockey, am a to tell that parent that too bad, its part of the game.

Better not let your kids watch cartoons either. There is plenty of violence in those as well. Pretty much better keep the TV unplugged.

I don't think that right there is just as much violence in College hockey as there is in the pros. It all under the guise of, Oh we don't let them fight. In fact one could make the argument there is way more stick work which in my opinion is more serious and more classless than two guys duking it out. Right now as we speak, the NHL is a better product than college hockey and that has to nothing with fighting and more with play on the ice. Until the refs call the game the way they do college hockey is going to suffer.

I'll agree to disagree with you on that point. I don't consider stickwork as being classless at all. I consider it to be more of a case of "sh*t happens" when players are going at it in the name of competitiveness. It's part of the game, because it occurs while the puck is in play with the clock running. I can't think of anything in sports more classless than two guys duking it out while everybody else stands back and watches, but maybe that's just me. Regardless how you feel about letting them fight or not letting them fight, nobody can tell me it's part of the game. If it was truly part of the game the clock would continue to run while the fight occurs. Again I ask the people who think it is up to the players to police the game, if that's so then why even bother having refs at all?

thats a little overboard statement if you ask me. i think its fine to have fighting in order to protect the skilled players for the most part when oppenents are taking cheap shots or runs at them. hopefully if you have a player tough enough like a boogeyman or larauque on your team then the opposing players with think twice when making certain hits.

here is my favorite fight in recent years ;);)

http://webpages.charter.net/mthomas4671/PrpichFight.wmv

I'll agree to disagree with you on that point. I don't consider stickwork as being classless at all. I consider it to be more of a case of "sh*t happens" when players are going at it in the name of competitiveness.

Not trying to rip on you but your logic, this isn't meant to be a personal attack, I am just trying to show you how flawed this line of thinking is, I am going to illustrate what I am talking about.

Should we tell that to guys like Henry Boucher that lost an eye due to dirty stick work? Just part of the game.

I think the logic that your using is that stick work is just part of the game, and the fans in the WCHA should just accept it and expect it. So the message we are sending them is; if you are upset just go ahead and swing your stick or spear someone, much better than fighting, its part of the game.

In my own opinion; stick work is much more egregious and gutless than two guys fighting. Ussually after a fight most of the time the issue is settled when the fight ends. Gutless whacks with the stick are very Jeff Paukovich like. Gutless pukes like Pauko go out and whack someone with a stick ussually a more skilled smaller player and then go turtle behind the ref, when someone calls him on it. But don

Edited by Goon