SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Fight

driscol

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to hockeyfights.com and checked out the video. Boogard dropped the guy like a sack of garbage. He actually was in two fights last night. The best fight is against Fedoruk and the other is O'Brien. Boogy is a force.

Click here for the link and scroll down to October 27.

It's part of the game because the NHL allows it to be. Nothing says it has to be, as college hockey proves.

PCM, the NHL banks on it as part of the draw of the game. Fans for the most part like it so, its not going anywhere. The guy that got his face knocked in has no one to blame but his self. The Boggeyman is paid (like it or not) to fight, if someone cheaps Gabby, the boggeyman come-it. Goons are there to right wrongs. One point that never gets brought up is some fights aren't always as a result of goons duking it out. Gretzky fought Bellows one time. It happens, it part of the game.

I think the guy that started it learned his lesson without a fine or suspension.

The guy is going to think twice before figthing Boggard. Second the guy that got pummeled is a one deminsional player so he is probably on the shelf for a while.

PCM, the NHL banks on it as part of the draw of the game. Fans for the most part like it so, its not going anywhere.

I understand that. Doesn't mean I have to like. Doesn't mean I have to approve of it. And it doesn't stop me from thinking that that aspect of the pro game hurts the game of hockey.

I agree with PCM and DaveK... sorta.

First off, I understand that fights are part of the NHL version of the game. Ok, I understand that. But let's look at Boogaard, shall we? What's he done for the team other than fights or roughing people up?

NOTHING.

I think the NHL can't afford to do away with fights, but I think they can afford to make it tough for NHL teams to legitimize having an enforcer as part of their roster. Now, I don't define an enforcer as someone who can fight. There are many NHL players who can drop the gloves. An Enforcer is someone who is only marginally NHL caliber whose ONLY strength is roughing people up and dropping the gloves. If he does so in an underhanded or illegal fashion, an enforcer is given the title of a Goon (though this is not to be confused that often with the poster here ;) ). Boogaard of the Wild, Scott Parker of whocares what team, Tie Domi (formerly of the Maple Leafs), Brashear, Laraque, and so on are enforcers. They really add little to their teams (Tie retired, and that's addition by subtraction if you ask me) other than bloodied faces and fists.

The new rules are a great first step. I don't know what the next step would be, but perhaps calling more instigator penalties? Making the 5 minute fighting majors result in 4x4 hockey? I don't know. But the more painful the NHL can make it to a team that decides to waste a roster slot on these guys the better, imo.

There should a zero tolerance policy for that crap in any sport at any level. If a player feels he has a score to settle with somebody he should try to put a hit on him within the context of the game. Wait till you have an opportunity to lay him out with a hard but clean check and then hit him with everything you've got.

That was well spoken the only thing I see wrong with that is guy like Punkovich will use this as an excuse to hurt another player some where down the line because he know he won't have to answer for his dirty classless hits.

I love listening to Esposito on XM radio and am glad so say we share the same opinion on this matter.

I love ESPO too, he is on XM radio all the time and he gets worked up and then he ussually drops a swear word or two also, classic. Knows his hockey though.

Fighting in the NHL isn't what it used to be since the addition of the instigator penalty (Fedoruk received 19 minutes of penalties to add insult to injury). For the most part, fighting now is limited to retaliation for a goalie getting run, a smaller forward getting boarded, etc., etc. While that Boogaard punch was painful to watch, he wasn't the one to blame and he even skated away from Fedoruk the first time the guy tried to pick a fight.

With the salary cap, limited rosters and new rules that have opened up skating, teams can't afford to carry a player that is nothing but a goon. Boogaard can skate, and he's only been in 4 fights this season while the Wild have played 10 games.