SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Fight

driscol

I agree with this, I Love hockey, My Girls love watching Sioux hockey, But I can't just let my girls ( who are 3 and 6) just watch pro hockey with the violence that happens in every game. If my daughter askes me why the fight, am I to say that it is part of the game.

I can see it know, I answer the phone this winter from another kids parents who had thier kid get hit by mine playing hockey, am a to tell that parent that too bad, its part of the game.

Pro hockey fights are no where near as frequent as what they were a decade ago. You're correct in that hockey has earned a bad reputation because of fighting, but that's largely due to the past and not the present. You can now watch many games and not witness any fights. To say that they occur in every game is incorrect.

As far as being good mentors/role models to kids, how many celebrities live a life that could be a good model for kids? TV is terrible for kids, and it's up to parents to ensure your child has good values instilled in them. There are a lot worse forms of entertainment on television now days than a sporting event, including pro hockey, and the sad thing is that a lot of kids watch the most inappropriate things.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hockey is the most physical game there is, between the hits and some of the nasty stick work, there isn't much more a player can do other than to fight to defend himself or a teammate. And I agree with the players policing the game, there is that unwritten rule. It's the same in baseball, you throw a ball high and inside on a teams "franchise" player, and there are good odds somebody on your team will get hit by a pitch the next inning. And then it is done. The players and coaches understand this. Granted there are exceptions like Bertuzzi. Moore gave an concusion to Sundin. He then fought a canuck player the next game. That should have been it, Done and Over. But occasionally you will get people like Bertuzzi that make things worse.

Can fighting take away potential fans. Yes, but is it going to kill the sport, NO. It is part of the game, and with the new rules, talent is taking over the game and fighting is becoming less and less.

That's not a good stat to use to defend him. At that rate he'll be in 32 fights this season. That's not something to be proud of at all.

People are trying to paint a picture that fighting in hockey is out of control and I'm simply trying to add a bit of perspective. People are claiming they can't let their kids watch an NHL game because of all the violence when the reality you're more likely to witness a game without a fight than with one.

Not only has the league made it a more penalized act, not only are goons that do nothing but enforce becoming a thing of the past, but fighting is rarely about fighting for fighting's sake and mostly about atonement. Personally I wouldn't miss fighting in the NHL if it ceased to exist, but some of the criticisms waged against it are pure hyperbole.

People are trying to paint a picture that fighting in hockey is out of control and I'm simply trying to add a bit of perspective. People are claiming they can't let their kids watch an NHL game because of all the violence when the reality you're more likely to witness a game without a fight than with one.

Not only has the league made it a more penalized act, not only are goons that do nothing but enforce becoming a thing of the past, but fighting is rarely about fighting for fighting's sake and mostly about atonement. Personally I wouldn't miss fighting in the NHL if it ceased to exist, but some of the criticisms waged against it are pure hyperbole.

In my opinion, fighting isn't out of control. In fact, I believe that there are less fights now than ever before. I just don't think that players like Boogaard belong in this league. He can fight. Wow, great. He can skate.. wow. So can Brian Rolston and Marion Gaborik. Now, which would you want? Another potential Gaborik (even if the potential doesn't really work out) or a Boogaard (where you know he'll drop the gloves and probably "win" the fight but be relatively worthless otherwise)?

I'd rather have a potential scorer turned bust than an enforcer like Boogaard. Goal scoring wins games. Fights win... the hearts of the pro-fight crowd and perhaps a little respect from both sides but that's about it. I've never heard of a Game Winning Fight like I've heard of a Game Winning Goal.

In my opinion, fighting isn't out of control. In fact, I believe that there are less fights now than ever before. I just don't think that players like Boogaard belong in this league. He can fight. Wow, great. He can skate.. wow. So can Brian Rolston and Marion Gaborik. Now, which would you want? Another potential Gaborik (even if the potential doesn't really work out) or a Boogaard (where you know he'll drop the gloves and probably "win" the fight but be relatively worthless otherwise)?

I'd rather have a potential scorer turned bust than an enforcer like Boogaard. Goal scoring wins games. Fights win... the hearts of the pro-fight crowd and perhaps a little respect from both sides but that's about it. I've never heard of a Game Winning Fight like I've heard of a Game Winning Goal.

When someone runs Gaborik, I'd want someone like Boogaard. ;)

When someone runs Gaborik, I'd want someone like Boogaard. ;)

Nah.

Maybe this isn't the BEST example due to league, but I'd want someone like Kyle Radke. He can contribute offensively, is pretty good defensively, and is willing to drop the gloves. You see? If the league, tommorrow, suddenly said "No more fighting!" Kyle would still have a roster slot (assuming he's on the roster of an NHL team). If this rule came out tommorrow, Boogaard would be in a bush league like the Central Hockey League or the UHL if he's in hockey at all.

Let me ask the "it's part of the game" supporters a question. If the NHL implemented rules that made fighting as infrequent in the pro game as it is in the college game, would you quit watching the NHL or being a fan of professional hockey?

Let me ask the "it's part of the game" supporters a question. If the NHL implemented rules that made fighting as infrequent in the pro game as it is in the college game, would you quit watching the NHL or being a fan of professional hockey?

Yep, because I am sure as he!! not going to watch basketbrawl. ;) I am being funny.

That being said, its not going to happen. Fighting in hockey is part of the game and the owners know that. Even Gretzky has softened his tone on that subject.

People are trying to paint a picture that fighting in hockey is out of control and I'm simply trying to add a bit of perspective.

I don't think fighting is out of control in the NHL. I do, however, think a lot of it happens for no other reason than to have a fight to entertain the crowd.

I realize that hockey is a fast, physical game played with sticks that can be used as weapons. Tempers are bound to flare and there will be fights on occasion, just as their are in college hockey. This type of fighting generally doesn't bother me because there's almost always a reason behind it. That doesn't mean it's always a good reason, but usually it's not difficult to understand why a particular fight occurred.

When I watch the NHL (which isn't often), I see too many players dropping the gloves for what I consider dumb reasons. It just ruins the game for me. And I believe it ruins the game for many other sports fans who might otherwise give hockey more serious consideration.

That being said, its not going to happen.

You're probably right. Then again, I argued for years with NHL purists that the pro game would be improved by allowing the two-line pass. I was told over and over again that it would never happen. ;)

You're probably right. Then again, I argued for years with NHL purists that the pro game would be improved by allowing the two-line pass. I was told over and over again that it would never happen. ;)

Wow, that's amazing. They should make you the sudo commissioner.

No.There is alot more to the game that I love where if fighting was banned it would not effect me.

If fighting in the NHL were somehow "banned" I wouldn't complain, although I'd almost rather see the league institute rules/penalties a la the NCAA as a first step to see the results. However I repeat that I think people are exaggerating how much fighting happens in today's NHL. This is a link to the total# of fights by team through October 12, 2006: http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/teams/

While Anaheim seems to have a fight per game, 21 teams have 5 total fights or less, 14 teams have 4 or less and 9 teams have 3 fights or less total. To take that further, there have been roughly 70 total fights this season, which is about 2.2 fights per team and less than 0.5 fights/game for the entire league.

I'll repeat that if fighting were taken out of the game completely I wouldn't stop watching the game nor whine about it, but I just don't think it's the problem some make it out to be. I also don't take issue with those that would like to see it banned because I think there's some logic behind the argument, but some of the reasoning is also flawed.

I understand that most NHL fans want fighting in the game. The question is, does keeping fighting in the game hurt hockey's image to the point where it prevents the game from becoming as popular as it could be? I think it does. As long as the NHL has no intention of expanding its fan base, then keeping the game as it is becomes a no-brainer. But as long as the pros choose to keep fighting as a major part of the game, it will always be viewed by many sports fans as being on the same level of professional wrestling.

Is that a fair perception? No. But I know from firsthand experience that the image of hockey as a sport for brawlers stops many people from developing an interest in it. And that's too bad because hockey is an amazing sport to watch and play. It has always irked me that much of the public sees hockey as a sport of senseless violence and fighting rather than a sport of speed, creativity and skill I know it to be.

The argument of "eliminating fighting to expand the fan base" does not fly with me. Are there people who do not like fighting and therefore do not watch? of course, but I don't believe by banning fighting, hockey will see this huge influx of supporters and followers that some people claim will happen.

I don't think that is a fair question. So you are saying that a person who likes fighting in the NHL, can't like college hockey because it doesn't have fighting?

No. I'm asking why a hockey fan who believes fighting is an important part of the game would bother to follow college hockey in which fighting plays such a small (nearly nonexistent) role? That was the point of the question.

The argument of "eliminating fighting to expand the fan base" does not fly with me.

That's fine. The argument that 87 percent of all current NHL fans would stop watching the NHL if fighting is reduced doesn't fly with me, either.

Are there people who do not like fighting and therefore do not watch? of course, but I don't believe by banning fighting, hockey will see this huge influx of supporters and followers that some people claim will happen.

I never claimed that reducing fighting would trigger a "huge influx of supporters and followers." I have no way of knowing that.

I said that based on my experience, the fighting allowed in the NHL creates a negative perception of the game of hockey, which hurts the entire sport. I could very well be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

If fighting in the NHL were somehow "banned" I wouldn't complain, although I'd almost rather see the league institute rules/penalties a la the NCAA as a first step to see the results. However I repeat that I think people are exaggerating how much fighting happens in today's NHL. This is a link to the total# of fights by team through October 12, 2006: http://www.hockeyfights.com/leaders/teams/

While Anaheim seems to have a fight per game, 21 teams have 5 total fights or less, 14 teams have 4 or less and 9 teams have 3 fights or less total. To take that further, there have been roughly 70 total fights this season, which is about 2.2 fights per team and less than 0.5 fights/game for the entire league.

I'll repeat that if fighting were taken out of the game completely I wouldn't stop watching the game nor whine about it, but I just don't think it's the problem some make it out to be. I also don't take issue with those that would like to see it banned because I think there's some logic behind the argument, but some of the reasoning is also flawed.

Play by play announcer noted that the Avalanche have had one fight so far this season.

That's fine. The argument that 87 percent of all current NHL fans would stop watching the NHL if fighting is reduced doesn't fly with me, either.

you should run for office with how much you're misrepresenting information in this thread.

It was stated on TSN Canada this past week that 87% of fans still want fighting in the game...

remind me again where it says "87 percent of all current NHL fans would stop watching the NHL if fighting is reduced."

you make the ridiculous jump (im assuming to prove your point) that someone who likes fighting in the game will stop watching if it's taken out. i guess since you don't like fighting, you never watch any pro hockey. so how would you know if the fighting level has gone down?

fans can want fighting in the game without feeling like a fight is something they enjoy. i don't mind having it in the nhl because it cuts down on the number of cheap shots. you are more responsible for the actions you take. players like taffe who would cheapshot guys are made to stand up for what they do. no the case in college hockey, where the ticky-tack stuff is a lot more prevalent and goes unpunished.

Play by play announcer noted that the Avalanche have had one fight so far this season.

Exactly, its not even a huge part of the game anymore. it is just there if need be. if a player wants to run another player and its dirty, he should expect to face the fists or simply dont do it. some players could care less if they get 2 or 4 minutes for a dirty penalty so if there is only 1 player on each team that may make them think twice then im all for it.