SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Fight

driscol

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly what I mean, fight, fight.

i would win, as pcm would leave because he can't stand fighting. ;)

plus, there are kids who read this message board and they could look up to us as rolemodels, so perhaps you shouldn't be advocating fights. those poor little children need to be protected. put em in a ball and never let em get hurt!

No. I'm asking why a hockey fan who believes fighting is an important part of the game would bother to follow college hockey in which fighting plays such a small (nearly nonexistent) role? That was the point of the question.

PCM - I think if your question were re-phrased to: "Why do you think fighting should remain a part of the NHL but not a part of the NCAA game?", it would better convey what you're getting at. Of course I could be wrong and you might be implying something completely different. ;)

i would win, as pcm would leave because he can't stand fighting. ;)

plus, there are kids who read this message board and they could look up to us as rolemodels, so perhaps you shouldn't be advocating fights. those poor little children need to be protected. put em in a ball and never let em get hurt!

Dude, you better check some of my other posts, they require a lot more editing than that one. ;)

Why don't we go out in the parking lot and decide this matter...

As an aside, in the playoffs, when the games are usually more physical and intense there are virtually no fights, and certainly none in critical and/or close games.

Also funny that a huge majority of the crowd cheers when there is a scrum, and that Prpich's fight is frequently linked to.

I have a couple boys that are in the early stages of hockey. I'm a bit torn over how to address fighting. What do coaches of high school and junior (USHL, NAHL...) teams teach/say about fighting?

pretty bad attempt at sarcasm. it's usually followed by a smiley, or at least sounds sarcastic.

Then I'll draw you a picture because you apparently need it.

Just as Eskimos misrepresented my point to claim that I said something I never did, I misrepresented the 87 percent stat to support an arguement that was never made.

See how much fun that is? If you want to do that to me, I can play that game all day long. It's sort of like someone claiming that I never watch the NHL when, if that person's reading comprehension was any good, he'd know that I never said any such thing.

And if you need additional clues as to the identity of that person, it was the same capitalization-challenged guy who accused me of "misrepresenting information."

sarcasm.gif

Edited by PCM

PCM - I think if your question were re-phrased to: "Why do you think fighting should remain a part of the NHL but not a part of the NCAA game?", it would better convey what you're getting at. Of course I could be wrong and you might be implying something completely different. ;)

Thanks for the "help," but I said exactly what I meant to say.

i don't mind having it in the nhl because it cuts down on the number of cheap shots. you are more responsible for the actions you take.

Let's look at this statement because it seems to be the prevailing attitude of those who think fighting is a necessary part of hockey.

The fact is, if this actually worked in practice as well as the theory holds, the NHL would be one of the cleanest games on the planet. Players would be trembling in fear at the very idea of cheap-shotting another player, knowing that their transgressions will bring swift and perhaps brutally violent retribution.

So why, despite the presence in the NHL of enforcers and the two-ref system, do players continue to run goalies, continue to slash, continue to high-stick, continue to throw elbows, continue to throw illegal checks, and continue to use their sticks as weapons? Isn't that the exact type of behavior that "the enforcer" is supposed to deter?

How does it make sense to say that enforcers are needed to cut down on activity that continually happens? If enforcers were at all effective, their very presence would be enough to ensure that nobody ever got out of line. But we all know that cheap-shotting and other potentially dangerous play continues to be a problem.

Should we now assume that because Boogaard demonstrated his ability to smash an opposing player's face with one punch, nobody will dare cheap-shot a Wild player as long as Boogaard remains on Minnesota's roster?

Thanks for the "help," but I said exactly what I meant to say.

Pardone moi. ;)

If that's the case, then I agree that your question to Eskimos didn't make sense. There's nothing illogical with someone following college and professional hockey despite the differences in rules regarding fighting.

The fact is, if this actually worked in practice as well as the theory holds, the NHL would be one of the cleanest games on the planet. Players would be trembling in fear at the very idea of cheap-shotting another player, knowing that their transgressions will bring swift and perhaps brutally violent retribution.

So why, despite the presence in the NHL of enforcers and the two-ref system, do players continue to run goalies, continue to slash, continue to high-stick, continue to throw elbows, continue to throw illegal checks, and continue to use their sticks as weapons? Isn't that the exact type of behavior that "the enforcer" is supposed to deter?

There is way more stick work in the NCAA than there is in the NHL. Many make the case it is the full face shield and the lack of fighting. In fact some make the case that the NCAA game is more violent and cheap because of this.

There is way more stick work in the NCAA than there is in the NHL. Many make the case it is the full face shield and the lack of fighting. In fact some make the case that the NCAA game is more violent and cheap because of this.

having face masks prevent SO many injuries in college. not even a question. it makes for a bit more sloppy stick work in my mind knowing a guy is not going to hit the ice when hit in the face. the only thing that seems to be called more lately is the checking from behind, or it may be just because of the bina situation that we notice it so much more because they are enforcing it big time. seems like there is always 1 per weekend in the wcha in each series, that may be a bit high of course as i dont have the stats and not sure if they call it as much out east as well??

There's nothing illogical with someone following college and professional hockey despite the differences in rules regarding fighting.

I never said it was illogical.

I do think it's strange that some rabid college hockey fans insist that fighting "is part of the game."

It's an important part of the pro game because a conscious decision has been made to make it so.

It's not an important part of the college game because a conscious decision has been made to minimize fighting.

Quite obviously, fighting does not have to be part of the game. Hockey can be played and be entertaining with a minimal amount of fighting. I accept that it has a certain amount of entertainment value to NHL fans and even college fans. Beyond that, there's no compelling reason to allow it.

Hockey can be played and be entertaining with a minimal amount of fighting.

Yep no grounds for argument there.

I accept that it has a certain amount of entertainment value to NHL fans and even college fans. Beyond that, there's no compelling reason to allow it.

$ and people like it. My brother-in law the former golden goofer once said in college hockey I can go out and lip off to the biggest guy and go hide behind the ref because I know I am not going to have to fight. But if I did that in professional hockey I know I am going to get killed. That threat alone should keep people honest.

Ever notice what happend when the goal gets run. Hair flies in that happend college, Karl probably doesn't get run very often. George Gwoz would be sending his band of merry thugs to run the goalie if then knew they were going to get clobbered.

I love Federov's (the poster's) smiley signature where two Luke Skysmiley is fighting Darth Smiley. I think that would go well right now ;)

I would prefer to stick to the merits of an issue, but if people want to make it personal, I'll get personal.

I do think it's strange that some rabid college hockey fans insist that fighting "is part of the game."

I don't think it is strange that college hockey fans also believe that fighting "is part of the game."

Do I watch the NHL hoping there is a fight? Absolutely not, but I'm a fan of both games (pro and college) and appreciate the different aspects of all levels.

Just my thoughts.....

Do I watch the NHL hoping there is a fight? Absolutely not, but I'm a fan of both games (pro and college) and appreciate the different aspects of all levels.

I also watch the NHL on occasion, especially if there's a game on in which a former Sioux player is playing. But given the choice, I'd much rather watch college hockey.

The only point I'm trying to make is this: Fighting is not a necessary part of the game of hockey. Fighting is part of the pro game -- by choice. It is not part of the college game -- by choice.

The fact that two different styles of hockey can be played -- one with fighting and one largely devoid of fighting -- proves that fighting need not be "part of the game."

I never said it was illogical.

Beyond that, there's no compelling reason to allow it.

Saying that a line of thinking is strange and or is uncompelling is the same as saying it is illogical. ;)

Of course this issue of semantcs doesn't matter. :) I think your pov has merit we just don't agree as to the 'necessity' of fighting remaining a part of the NHL. While I see no need to remove it I wouldn't object to at least instituting penalties that are more in line with those given in the NCAA.