SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Fight

driscol

Commodore was drafted in 1999, which I believe was after the fight with Alex Brooks.

I'm getting older now, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I thought that fight occurred in the '98-'99 season. I remember it happening, and I remember where I was sitting in comparison to where him and Brooks were on the ice. Regardless of when it did happen, I don't think it was the sole reason that Mike was drafted. Mike has shown since being drafted that yes, he can fight, but he can also assist his team in great ways outside fo the penalty box too. He also showed in last years playoffs that he can skate away from a fight to help his team out. This would most likely be a player that Redwing77 would choose to be on his team rather than someone such as Boogard.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of when it did happen, I don't think it was the sole reason that Mike was drafted. Mike has shown since being drafted that yes, he can fight, but he can also assist his team in great ways outside fo the penalty box too. He also showed in last years playoffs that he can skate away from a fight to help his team out.

After UND beat BC for the national championship, I remember a fan on USCHO proclaiming Commodore to be the best offensive-defenseman the Sioux had. Hey, Travis Roche was on that team! :whistling::lol:

After UND beat BC for the national championship, I remember a fan on USCHO proclaiming Commodore to be the best offensive-defenseman the Sioux had. Hey, Travis Roche was on that team! :whistling::lol:

Commodore played pretty well in that game, as well as throughout the entire playoff run. It would be a tough argument. A year later, I would go with Roche though.

Commodore played pretty well in that game, as well as throughout the entire playoff run. It would be a tough argument. A year later, I would go with Roche though.

Yes, Mike had a goal against Niagara (or was it Nigeria? :whistling: ) in the playoffs and of course the great goal against BC. By the end of that season, it was clear that he was ready to turn pro. But scoring goals was hardly indicative of his play at UND and hasn't been his strong suit since then.

Commie had five goals and seven assists as a junior that season. Roche had six goals and 22 assists as a freshman that year.

That's not the same thing. There are lots of scrums, but most don't result in anyone dropping the gloves.
Eh, IMO scrums are worse. Cheap !@$! happens in those all the time, someone tries to rip your helmet off from behind, shots to the cash and prizes, gloves rubbed in your face, out of control sticks, and uneven number of players. As I've said, most fights that the gloves are dropped are clean, one on one fights.

I'm interested in improving the game in ways that can actually protect the players and broaden its appeal.

PCM, you're talking like guys are getting Fedoruk'd left and right. Serious injuries rarely happen in fighting. And you'll find a way to twist my words with something I've said earlier, but it keeps cheap shots down. I'd rather go fist to fist with a guy, than have him board me from behind (etc. etc.)

As far as Commodore and getting drafted. It really doesn't matter when he was drafted with the way the NHL draft works. They'll still scout him and a guy still needs to get noticed to get in a position to jump to the bigs.

For the most part they all know the game and have been fans for a long time. raynman03, PCM, Siouxman, Sioux-Cia, hockeymom, Siouxfan4life, morely, southpaw, NorthDakotaHockey, 7>4, YaneA, and I know I'm missing a whole bunch more, but they are all quality people.

[sarcasm]Yeah but I've played the game......so I automatically know more than everyone else. :lol: [/sarcasm]

Is it game time yet?

*yawns*

• 3 weeks later...

After reading that article, I just developed a whole new level of respect for Peter Laviolette.

And I noticed that my two favorite teams (Detroit and New Jersey) both went all of last season without being involved in a fight.

No, NJ nor Detroit "won it all" but it kinda puts things in perspective when you think of how important fighting is to winning.

No, NJ nor Detroit "won it all" but it kinda puts things in perspective when you think of how important fighting is to winning.

So you are saying that if a team has a goon and gets into some fights, they won't win?

NJ has already been in quite a number of fights this year already.

So you are saying that if a team has a goon and gets into some fights, they won't win?

NJ has already been in quite a number of fights this year already.

NJ has resident bully Cam Jansens that I would qualify as a straight goon...

I would agree. Cam registers an average of 4-6 shifts a game. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I've seen him get 10 shifts, but I've also seen him skate 2 shifts in a game.

I personally like fighting in hockey, I agree with the article it will never disappear from the game, but if I was going to be a coach that had a team that happened to have a goon on my roster, they are going to have to do more than fight to contribute. The bogey man is really on the cusp of being a one dimentional player. Colton Orr is a one dimentional player, I believe that is why the Bruins unloaded him. I think your going to see that be a preresiquite to play in the NHL as a enforcer your goig to have to do more than fight..

I personally like fighting in hockey, I agree with the article it will never disappear from the game, but if I was going to be a coach that had a team that happened to have a goon on my roster, they are going to have to do more than fight to contribute. The bogey man is really on the cusp of being a one dimentional player. Colton Orr is a one dimentional player, I believe that is why the Bruins unloaded him. I think your going to see that be a preresiquite to play in the NHL as a enforcer your goig to have to do more than fight..

And that's my perspective to a tee.

Cam Janssen isn't a player I care too much for. In fact, I don't know why he's dressed at all. He's being called a goon and you know what? I can't think of a better term for his gameplay.

I'm not insinuating that NJ or Detroit NEVER fights (Duh... McCarty, Maltby, Draper, gosh there's a ton of em that have for Detroit alone.. Daneyko, Stevens for NJ) or that they haven't fought this season. Last season, though, they weren't involved in any fights and I think that warrants some applause.

I really do believe that any one dimensional player (with perhaps exception being made to the stay at home defenseman) is not going to have a lot of value to the team. This isn't saying it can't be learned. (Dead horse coming!) Vanek was that way in Minnesota and in Rochester (AHL). He then got benched and since then, has worked hard enough on his defense that apparently he is now penalty killing for Buffalo. Yeah yeah, I'll know it when I see it, but seriously, one-dimensional players whose one dimension is fighting is, and rightfully so, heading the way of the dodo bird. And the faster they are extinct, the better. I don't care if you are Janssens, Worrell, Parker, or Boogaard.

• 3 weeks later...