SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU Football

UND Fan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Metrodome and didn't hear any anti-Sioux chants.

From what I heard, there must be some Sioux fans that are still somewhat obsessed with the Bison. A Sioux fan friend of mine was at Suite 49 when the Bison-Gopher game was on. He said the Anti-Bison sentiment was pretty thick and the place erupted when the field goal was blocked. Sounds like some Sioux fans are still a little concerned about the Bison too.

i think there's a bit of a difference between the two situations. fans at a game between ndsu and the gophers chanting "sioux suck," compared to fans at a sports bar cheering against the bison. at least ndsu was involved in the game for someone to cheer against, UND wasn't there... so i don't know why ndsu fans would even mention UND. it's probably the same for the uni game. ndsu fans were cheering against UND, which is understandable. but there were no anti ndsu chants at the uni/UND game.

i think there's a bit of a difference between the two situations. fans at a game between ndsu and the gophers chanting "sioux suck," compared to fans at a sports bar cheering against the bison. at least ndsu was involved in the game for someone to cheer against, UND wasn't there... so i don't know why ndsu fans would even mention UND. it's probably the same for the uni game. ndsu fans were cheering against UND, which is understandable. but there were no anti ndsu chants at the uni/UND game.

You're clouding the issue... :glare:???

Anti-Sioux chants haven't happend in the FargoDome for about 2 years, the only game it happend at last year was on homecoming when a few UND students in their Sioux Crew shirts were in the upper part of the student section.

So, there haven't been any Anti-Sioux chants for 2 years at the FargoDome, but there was at least one occasion last year where it happened?

???:glare:

I think the fact that NDSU and UND don't play anymore, has nothing to do with the 2 institutions just not liking each other. My feelings towards most Sioux athletics and their football team in particular will always remain the same wether they line up against the Bison on the field or not. If Sioux fans think Bison fans are jealous of something, they're sorely mistaken, at least from my perspective. I could'nt be more thrilled with what is going on down here in Fargo and am excited of what's to come. If people are asking themselves why is a Bison fan posting here, it's because I'm a North Dakota kid who loves hockey, and am going to root for the best college hockey program in the country, the UND Sioux. I'm not afraid to admit that and frankly I don't know why Bison fans would say otherwise, because it's true. Frankly I'd love to see NDSU get hockey, so I would'nt have to root for the Sioux in anything, but they don't, so what am I gonna do ? I'm not cheering for the Goofies or the Dogs or Mavs or any Minny team at all. I know I've posted similar stuff in the past but I got to reading this thread and figured I'd give my two cents from a Bison fans perspective. As far as the Bison and Sioux playing this year and what the outcome would be. I think it would be just like any other Bison Sioux game, where everything that has happened up to that point, on paper, record wise, the favorite going in, etc. etc. would be thrown out the window. It would be an awesome game and a dogfight for sure. And as far as the Sioux Suck chants and what not, Bison fans have to keep practicing and stay sharp for the rivalry which will be renewed real soon. I wouldn't expect anything else from Sioux fans and I almost expect it. It's a lifelong hatred (strong word maybe) and that's what makes it so special and I'm glad I'm a part of it.

Another perspective from a Bison fan: Although it does not justify the Sioux sXXk chants, I'd be curious to know how many fans that experienced the chants were dressed head to toe in Sioux apparel? Did it ever occur to you that it might be interpreted as an attempt to divert attention away from NDSU's day in the limelight. The game was a big day for Fargo and NDSU and not about UND. I know that to some it may come as a shock that not everything is; but as hard as it is to believe, not everyone is a Sioux fan!

Perhaps going to the game dressed as a casual fan would have been more appropriate. I know, I know; some of the Sioux faithful do not own any clothing that is not Sioux related.

And to those who think the verbal abuse is a one way street are mistaken. I've worked in Grand Forks for the better part of 8 years and don't believe that I have ever worn Bison apparel in this town. For those that live and work in Grand Forks, stop and think of how infrequently you see NDSU apparel and it's pretty rare. It's not that there are not Bison fans, I know they are rare, but it's just not worth it.

UND's day in the sun will come in a few years when they schedule a big time opponent in football.

Just my two cents worth!

And as far as the Sioux Suck chants and what not, Bison fans have to keep practicing and stay sharp for the rivalry which will be renewed real soon. I wouldn't expect anything else from Sioux fans and I almost expect it. It's a lifelong hatred (strong word maybe) and that's what makes it so special and I'm glad I'm a part of it.

Good post Timmay. I wasn't offended by the anti-UND chants at all. Hearing them reminded me of the rivalry (which I hadn't thought about in a while) and got me really excited for it to be renewed.

Another perspective from a Bison fan: Although it does not justify the Sioux sXXk chants, I'd be curious to know how many fans that experienced the chants were dressed head to toe in Sioux apparel?

I can't speak for everyone, but my experience went as follows: The anti-UND chants occurred in the tailgating lot a little bit, and were pretty much non-stop on the shuttle bus ride to the Dome. Once in the Dome, I didn't hear any. I was not wearing any UND clothing, nor did I see anyone who was. I did not reveal my allegiance to UND in any way. But I like I've said before, I was surprised, but I loved it. It got me pumped for the rivalry to be renewed.

Out of curiousity to a group of Auburn and Alabama fans at work, I've mentioned this phenomena of Bison fans chanting anti-UND cheers at games that don't involve UND. They unanimously agreed that that fan behavior is perhaps the most bizarre that they had ever heard. Both the Alabama and Auburn fans, some of whom have been season ticket holders, couldn't conceive of the same thing happening at a Bama or Auburn gaming unless the two were playing each other. Both sets agreed that NDSU fans must be obsessed with UND.

You have to love how the Gopher fans get to hear about UND again even during football now. :glare: Just think of how many gopher fans would have attended if they were playing one of their biggest rivals (along with cheap/free tickets thanks to the Iowa 2-1 deal).

You have to love how the Gopher fans get to hear about UND again even during football now. :glare: Just think of how many gopher fans would have attended if they were playing one of their biggest rivals (along with cheap/free tickets thanks to the Iowa 2-1 deal).

I always hate doing this, but you are not Minnesota's biggest rivals. Wisconsin is Minnesota's rival. You need to play in more than one sport to have a good rivalry. I hate to tell all the Sioux fans out there, but after meeting many, many Gopher fans, they do not consider you thier big rival. Yes, they consider you a annual powerhouse in hockey, but not a big rival. There is a difference.....rivalries have true hatred and it MUST be mutual. It is not enough for Sioux fans to hate Gophers..... Go to Duluth, they also cosider the Gophers their big rival and I also have had to talk sense into them.

Your true, hated rival is, and will always be, NDSU. They played in multiple sports and they hated each other completely. It is a special rivalry and I can't wait until it gets going again. I will be there and I just hope the Sioux can give them a good game.

I always hate doing this, but you are not Minnesota's biggest rivals. Wisconsin is Minnesota's rival. You need to play in more than one sport to have a good rivalry. I hate to tell all the Sioux fans out there, but after meeting many, many Gopher fans, they do not consider you thier big rival. Yes, they consider you a annual powerhouse in hockey, but not a big rival. There is a difference.....rivalries have true hatred and it MUST be mutual. It is not enough for Sioux fans to hate Gophers..... Go to Duluth, they also cosider the Gophers their big rival and I also have had to talk sense into them.

And I hate to tell YOU this (but I will, anyway): Gopher fans that claim we aren't a rival are casual fans who care more about basketball and football than hockey. The hockey-loving portion of Rodentia (with a few exceptions here and there) hates UND hockey and everything it stands for. For years, I have read and posted on forums such as this one and have seen Gopher fans trashing our program, the number of Canadians we have on the roster, the number of older players we have, the University itself, the city of Grand Forks, the State of North Dakota, the quality of education we offer here, the fact we aren't D-I in everything (soon to change); you name it, they bring it. If they can't beat us on the ice, they hit us over the head with all that other garbage. ??? They can't stand the fact that a small school (13,000 enrollment) in a small state (population 600,000) can beat them in anything. If Gopher hockey fans think that North Dakota is "just another team on the schedule", then how come it is next to impossible to get tickets for a Sioux-Gophers series in Marriucci Arena (unless you know someone that has tickets and can't use them)? Nuff said.

I'm sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You can't trash a fellow conference rival like this and then in the next breath say "it's not a rivalry on our end, all we care about is Wisconsin". :glare: Both of these programs have been playing each other for years in the same conference and have had many classic matchups; many for championships or playoff positioning. To try and argue that teams with this kind of history don't have a rivalry is the height of arrogance and conceit. But that's Rodentia and it likely won't change anytime soon.

And I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)

Your true, hated rival is, and will always be, NDSU. They played in multiple sports and they hated each other completely. It is a special rivalry and I can't wait until it gets going again. I will be there and I just hope the Sioux can give them a good game.

This poll conducted by ESPN for the state of Minnesota during their 50 states in 50 days campaign doesn't agree with what you just stated.

You do understand that the pool you sited is not a scientific survey and its results are statistically meaningless.

The poll may be unscientific and the data skewed, but it is relevent that UND vs Minnesota hockey was put on as a poll question and obviously someone thinks that there is quite a rivalry for there to have gotten the votes that it did. You can't say that every vote for UND vs UM was meaningless.

The poll may be unscientific and the data skewed, but it is relevent that UND vs Minnesota hockey was put on as a poll question and obviously someone thinks that there is quite a rivalry for there to have gotten the votes that it did. You can't say that every vote for UND vs UM was meaningless.

That "someone" could have been a rabid hockey fan, or even a rabid UND hockey fan, for all you know. That's precisely why unscientific polls are meaningless.

That "someone" could have been a rabid hockey fan, or even a rapid UND hockey fan, for all you know. That's precisely why unscientific polls are meaningless.

Are you saying that one person voted often enough to account for 23.5% of the votes on that poll question??

Again, the person writing the poll must have thought highly enough of the rivalry to include it as a poll question. This wasn't a write in poll.

Are you saying that one person voted often enough to account for 23.5% of the votes on that poll question??

Again, the person writing the poll must have thought highly enough of the rivalry to include it as a poll question. This wasn't a write in poll.

It was me- I voted 3,200 times.......

I always hate doing this, but Minnesota is the State of Hockey. Not football. Not basketball. Maybe you should talk to some people at the University of Minnesota that follow hockey more closely instead of relying on talking to the general public. Wisconsin may be Minnesota's biggest rival in all other sports but hockey, but I would call it a push between UND and Wisconsin being Minnesota's biggest rival.

Also, how can you call a poll that was conducted meaningless? Because it contradicts what you said on here? Like it's already been stated, the numbers might be skewed slightly, but you just can't ignore the numbers in their entirety. Unless HockeyMom did in fact vote 3,200 times. :glare:

I always hate doing this, but you are not Minnesota's biggest rivals. Wisconsin is Minnesota's rival.

hmmm believe some joe schmoe bison fan (you) about who the gophers biggest rivals are or a poll done by one of the largest and most respected sports magazine of minnesotans. That says the best rivalry involving the Gophers is against UND? Tough choice. :glare:

PS. One a person uses "one of" it does not mean the only. Just "one of" a certain group. You might have missed that part. Maybe not; or maybe you just wanted to go off because certain truths are hard to swallow.