SiouxSports.com Forum

Your favorite town in North Dakota

JESUS,family,rutgers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minot ND....its beautiful there at night with the city lights twinkling on the hills. Best sledding hills in the state too.

Medina ND...my great-grandmother, all 86 years, lives there and is a wonderful peaceful area. The family farm is still there and my great-uncle farms it. Yeah there is NOTHING in between Bismarck and Jamestown and Medina only has about 350 people ...but I appreciate the beauty of a wheat field and wide open spaces and having many many great memories with my great-grandmother.

Even though I hated small town USA when I was growing up, I have come to appreciate the memories of Belfield and growing up on a ranch twenty miles north of there.

Sneaking out of grade school during the noon hour to spend my lunch money on baseball or football cards, then trying to remember what I was SUPPOSED to have eaten for lunch in case my mom asked me when I got home from school...

watching the Bantams beat #1 ranked Glen Ullin in the 1986 Region 8 championship game the night after I'd watched the Rattlers defeat the New England Tigers by 30+ points (New England was 4-0 against Belfield that year)...

playing pick-up football in the snow before basketball practice...well, at least until our JV coach happened to drive by the vacant lot where we were playing one night and then yelling at us for endangering basketball season by playing football...

getting to know my grandparents better than most people know their own parents...

a local rancher breaking his leg not long after his daughter passes away due to a brain tumor...several neighbors and friends, including my dad, bringing their machinery to his ranch at night to work 8-10 hours cutting his hay and baling it...in addition to cutting and baling their own crops during the daytime...

the 4th of July and getting up at 5:00 am to hoist the Stars and Stripes on a six-foot-high pile of rocks right next to Highway 85...

my mom's full-blooded Italian parents moving to Dickinson in 1982...and to this day still sounding like they're tourists visiting from Barrington, Rhode Island...

Our never-swearing freshman basketball coach calling a time-out one minute into the big game...after the pre-game pep talk in the locker room, we're down 10-0 before the bleachers are warm...and all he can say it "gosh darnit guys"...I still remember sitting on the bench and the team started chuckling at how mad he was and how he REFUSED to swear...we wound up winning in OT...

Whether it was 6:00 pm or 10:30 pm, stopping in at Grandma's house where the first words out of her mouth were "I was just getting dinner started...are you hungry?"...

Cutting hay and stopping every hour or so to turn on the am radio in the pickup to find out the score of the Detroit Tigers game...yea, 1984 was awesome...

After about 6:00 pm when the Fairfield Country Store closed...there's about a 40-60 mile gap between gas stations starting with Belfield and ending with Watford City or Killdeer...and my dad never saying 'no' to any stranger who pulled into the driveway because his or her vehicle was running on fumes and they needed some gasoline...

The annual "Hunter's Supper" at St. Peter Canisius Church in Grassy Butte where the population of the town couldn't be more than 50 people, Saturday evening mass regularly had about 20 people in attendance, yet the women of the community would feed what seemed like thousands of locals and hunters every fall with the best dinner around...

My grandpa buying a lawnmower after he volunteered to take care of the local Lutheran and non-denominational cemetaries, which were in poor shape...and listening to the stories he'd tell while he was out there watching me mow them...I think the guy killed in a shoot-out on Main Street back when he was about seven was probably the best one...

Driving to Lemmon, South Dakota for a basketball game and back in a nasty blizzard and temps of probably -20...and a bus that was leaking anti-freeze the whole way back...I swear the temp inside the bus never got above -10 on the way home...

Yea, living in a small town wasn't so bad...living 20 miles north of a small town wasn't so bad either. Sometimes when I go back home, it feels like 1977-1988 all over again.

For basically all the reasons that MafiaMan gave, I'll have to pick my hometown of Mott as my favorite. To be more specific, I would have to say that's where I went to school, as I grew up 20 miles from there. Any move for me 1 mile west, or 2 miles north, I would have gone to Regent or Richardton respectively. And now Mott is on the map as the spot for great pheasent hunting! (It's also on most globes too, and it seems no one knows why).

I also liked Killdeer for some reason because it seemed almost everyone drove a 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup with gun rack.

For basically all the reasons that MafiaMan gave, I'll have to pick my hometown of Mott as my favorite. To be more specific, I would have to say that's where I went to school, as I grew up 20 miles from there. Any move for me 1 mile west, or 2 miles north, I would have gone to Regent or Richardton respectively. And now Mott is on the map as the spot for great pheasent hunting! (It's also on most globes too, and it seems no one knows why).

I also liked Killdeer for some reason because it seemed almost everyone drove a 3/4 ton 4X4 pickup with gun rack.

Go Cardinals!!!!....Oh wait, it's the Wildfire now isn't it. Go Wildfire!!! Are they still ranked #1 in football?

Seemed? I am pretty sure it's a city ordinance in Killdeer so residents are REQUIRED to own a 3/4 ton pickup (purchased from Dean Bender Chevrolet...he's got the sharpest pencil in town) with installed gun rack.

Go Cardinals!!!!....Oh wait, it's the Wildfire now isn't it. Go Wildfire!!! Are they still ranked #1 in football?

Yep, Wildfire now! Since I graduated, they seem to be much better in football. But then again, I didn't play football because there was too much farm work to do. Yes, they are #1 ranked in football right now.

Do you remember those old world globes that had Bismarck and Mott on them? I don't know if they still make those or not, but I thought that was just weird that Mott would end up on a world globe with very few ciites on it. I was going to say that my parent probably still have one, but I'm sure it was destroyed in the flood.

By the way my parents are in Florida this week and made lefse with the kids yesterday. Fresh lefse, doesn't get much better than that, one of the things I miss about North Dakota :)

For basically all the reasons that MafiaMan gave...

I forgot one! Belfield and South Heart were HUGE rivals in basketball back in the day, but they did the co-op venture for football. On the way to the 1987 Class B playoff game is Des Lacs to face the Des Lacs-Burlington Lakers, two of the three South Heart players on the team started spouting off on the bus about how Belfield wouldn't be going anywhere without those three players. Words were exchanged, and before long, the coaches were breaking up a rumble akin to FIU/Miami minus the player swinging a crutch. ESPN Classic...Belfield-South Heart goes on to defeat the Lakers before getting throttled by Watford City the following weekend.

I forgot one! Belfield and South Heart were HUGE rivals in basketball back in the day, but they did the co-op venture for football. On the way to the 1987 Class B playoff game is Des Lacs to face the Des Lacs-Burlington Lakers, two of the three South Heart players on the team started spouting off on the bus about how Belfield wouldn't be going anywhere without those three players. Words were exchanged, and before long, the coaches were breaking up a rumble akin to FIU/Miami minus the player swinging a crutch. ESPN Classic...Belfield-South Heart goes on to defeat the Lakers before getting throttled by Watford City the following weekend.

Yes, and Mott's biggest rival was Regent. At least the parents felt so. I think the kids get along better than expected, but that changed with the consolidation. How things change....

Yes, and Mott's biggest rival was Regent. At least the parents felt so. I think the kids get along better than expected, but that changed with the consolidation. How things change....

Same thing with Belfield and South Heart. Some of the older townspeople don't want to combine all the sports programs. A fairly recent proposal was shot down a few years ago. I'm guessing a few years of 70-25 thumpings at the hand of Dickinson Trinity (why are they Class B again?) in boys basketball will hopefully change some minds. The kids all want to co-op...they feel its the only way to be somewhat competitive.

Minot, Williston, Bottineu, Dickinson. Minot is a totally beautiful place as is Williston. It stays light until 10:45 or 11:00 in late June and early July. The east to too flat. Bismarck is pretty but not nearly as pretty or with as many trees as Minot. Williston is my second favorite town in ND. Fargo has a lot to do but the "we're just like a part of Minnesota" or "we're so metro" attitude is really nauseating. Seriously, it's just Fargo.