SiouxSports.com Forum

Your favorite town in North Dakota

JESUS,family,rutgers

I could guarantee with about 90% confidence I would know everybody on this board who grew up in a small town (less than 2000) within about 2 degrees of separation. I could guarantee I could do it for the people who grew up in Mott, Kildeer, Burlington, and Langdon.

BTW, if you grew up in a small town in ND and don't mention it as your favorite you have no soul. :)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could guarantee with about 90% confidence I would know everybody on this board who grew up in a small town (less than 2000) within about 2 degrees of separation. I could guarantee I could do it for the people who grew up in Mott, Kildeer, Burlington, and Langdon.

I'll take you up on two of those, NDSU grad.

Killdeer - Shannon Sivak, Sheldon Sivak, Brant Yantzer, Jan Hovden.

Mott - Sherry Clark (not sure on the last name - graduated in 1988). I just remember her showing up to English 101 class proudly wearing her "89" letterman jacket, compliments of her boyfriend. About two weeks after classes started, the afore-mentioned letterman jacket was suddenly back in Mott with her now ex-boyfriend. :)

Mott - Sherry Clark (not sure on the last name - graduated in 1988). I just remember her showing up to English 101 class proudly wearing her "89" letterman jacket, compliments of her boyfriend. About two weeks after classes started, the afore-mentioned letterman jacket was suddenly back in Mott with her now ex-boyfriend. :(

Kildeer, I'll have to go with Paige and Hardin Burian, and since I invented the game I'll allow myself a Ryan Perhus (I know he's from Haliday but he did play football there). :) I'll have to get back to you on Mott.

Mott - Sherry Clark (not sure on the last name - graduated in 1988). I just remember her showing up to English 101 class proudly wearing her "89" letterman jacket, compliments of her boyfriend. About two weeks after classes started, the afore-mentioned letterman jacket was suddenly back in Mott with her now ex-boyfriend. :)

you have to know a kelsh from mott

BTW, if you grew up in a small town in ND and don't mention it as your favorite you have no soul. :)

Do you know............HockeyMom?

You're kidding, right? :)

Absolutely not....

Lincoln Park and the neighborhood.

Central Park and the neighborhood.

Riverside Park and the neighborhood.

Noel's

Kickin' my friends ass at the old Valley Country Club and Lincon.

The old Whitey's on a Sunday.

Kickin' it a lil' funky downtown...

-Some pool at the old Uptown Bar.

-A good local band at McGuires.

-A couple at The Frontier Bar.

The Antique Lounge.

A nice snap of schnapps at Memorial Stadium.

That's a short list...I could go on, and on.

Not living my life with constant reminders of the flood EVERWHERE and the fact that so many great things about Grand Forks are long gone. If you like "neighborhood bars" like Applebees...more power to you. Not my thing.

I'm guessing you, and your family, aren't native to this AMAZING historic region...you wouldn't understand then. Your reply is just weak politics.

(Local Boy is kinder and gentler).

I'm guessing you, and your family, aren't native to this AMAZING historic region...you wouldn't understand then. Your reply is just weak politics.

No, I'm not native to this specific area, but I visited Grand Forks many times before we moved here in 1992. While I do miss the neighborhoods along the river, there's no way that I'd go back to pre-flood Grand Forks.

Although I have only lived in GF 4 out of the last 20+ years and that was 13 years ago, I can see both sides of the pre/post flood. I loved the old Whitey's and don't really care for the chain restaurants (with the exception of Waffle House. The old neighborhoods and parks along the river were great. I had friends who lived along there. I also love old and historic buildings, which have been somewhat removed from GF.

Post flood new buildings and houses, cleaner look to the city, and it appears GF has a brighter future from the folks that I talk to in GF.

BTW, even though I live in Florida, I still proudly call GF "home". I really don't understand the comments from folks who went to school at UND and hated Grand Forks. Besides the cold, how could you hate the place?

Gotta agree with Local Boy on this one. My grandparents had a home on Lincoln Drive and I spent a lot of my childhhod in and around that area. Nearly every time I get back to GF I visit what is now the Lincoln Drive Park and feel the sadness all over again.

How much of what you two miss would have changed regardless of the flood? Much of what Local Boy mentions was gone even before I moved here in 1992.

I also hated to see the neighborhoods along the river go because they were part of the city's unique character. But the fact is, if they were still there, Grand Forks wouldn't be safe from future flooding and we'd all be paying outrageous flood insurance premiums. Plus, good luck in getting businesses to stay here or in attracting new businesses.

Heck, my hometown is hardly recognizeable from the way it was when I grew up. It hasn't experienced any kind of disaster of the magnitude that hit Grand Forks. Things change. Some change is for the better and some isn't.

How much of what you two miss would have changed regardless of the flood? Much of what Local Boy mentions was gone even before I moved here in 1992.

I agree with PCM on this one. A lot of those things had changed before the flood hit.

All towns change and evolve with time, Grand Forks changed almost their whole city due to the flood, but most places change over time.

I agree with PCM on this one. A lot of those things had changed before the flood hit.

Everything on my list was there April 18, 1997. Of course Memorial Stadium wasn't flood related. What else?

Maybe The Frontier Bar? I don't know, I'm asking.

Lincoln Park and the neighborhood...There.

Central Park and the neighborhood...There.

Riverside Park and the neighborhood...There.

Noel's...There. Awesome Indian / Punjabi cuisine. Formerly Web's...way back.

Kickin' my friends asses at the old Valley Country Club and Lincon...There.

The old Whitey's on a Sunday...There.

Kickin' it a lil' funky downtown...

-Some pool at the old Uptown Bar...There. Great bar architecturally.

-A good local band at McGuires...There. Wasn't it?

-A couple at The Frontier Bar...There. Wasn't it?

The Antique Lounge...There.

A lot wasn't there?

Really?

I love the innocence of Western North Dakota. But, you got to love Eastern's proximity to Northern Minnesota.

A lot wasn't there?

Really?

I acknowleged the loss of the riverside neighborhoods. Obviously, Lincon Park golf course was gone after the flood.

Memorial Stadium was on the way out because the Alerus Center had been approved by voters before the flood. So it was effectively gone. A lot of the downtown places you mention might have been there. I don't know. I'm not-hang-out-at-the-local-bar kind of guy. Whitey's is the only one I remember.

I do know that as a visitor to Grand Forks and later as a resident, I considered the downtown area seedy and rundown. It was an embarrassment, as far as I was concerned. I would avoid taking my friends and relatives down there when they visited.

At any rate, you and DaveK think Grand Forks was a better place before the flood. I don't. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Grand Forks pre-flood is a city that was well situated to look at its glorious past, and slide away into oblivion.

Grand Forks post-flood is a city that finally realized what it can accomplish when challenged, and is finally believing in itself and reaching for more.

The city lost some irreplacable things; the city didn't have an easy experience; which city is better?

Grand Forks post flood.