SiouxSports.com Forum

Kessel returning to the "U"?

buckysieve

And if the games were not at Mariucci, the Gophers would not have made it out of that regional. It was more of having home ice and that compensated for their poor play at the Final Five the week before and at the Frozen Four two weeks later. Home ice was just enough to get them over the hump that weekend. It wasn't as much that they dominated play with heart and determination and grit.....again, home ice was probably the biggest factor to them getting out of the regional.

How do you know they would not have made it out of the regionals if the Gophers had not played at home. According to you the only way the Gophers can play in the Frozen Four is if they play there regionals at home ??? Also, were you at those games? I was there and they did play with plenty of heart, determination and grit. Like Bucky said, they played against the two best Goalies in the nation that weekend.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you know they would not have made it out of the regionals if the Gophers had not played at home. According to you the only way the Gophers can play in the Frozen Four is if they play there regionals at home ??? Also, were you at those games? I was there and they did play with plenty of heart, determination and grit. Like Bucky said, they played against the two best Goalies in the nation that weekend.

Where did I say that the only way for the Gophers to go to the Frozen Four was to have a regional at home? I think, and look above and correct me if I'm wrong, but that I was only referring to 2005 and 2006. You are seeming to imply by what you said that I mean any year the Gophers get to the Frozen Four is because of home ice. If you try to paraphrase me, then paraprase me correctly and don't try to infer that I meant more or outside of what I stated. I don't recall mentioning any other years or that the only time the Gophers get to the Frozen Four is because of home ice. Again, if I did, please correct me or otherwise don't put words in my mouth and don't try to repeat what I said and get it wrong.

Where did I say that the only way for the Gophers to go to the Frozen Four was to have a regional at home? I think, and look above and correct me if I'm wrong, but that I was only referring to 2005 and 2006. You are seeming to imply by what you said that I mean any year the Gophers get to the Frozen Four is because of home ice. If you try to paraphrase me, then paraprase me correctly and don't try to infer that I meant more or outside of what I stated. I don't recall mentioning any other years or that the only time the Gophers get to the Frozen Four is because of home ice. Again, if I did, please correct me or otherwise don't put words in my mouth and don't try to repeat what I said and get it wrong.

I'm responding to the comment you made that if the Gophers did not play the regional at Mariucci that they Would not have made it to the Frozen Four. The key words here are "Would not", nobody knows if they would have made it to the Frozen Four if they had not played at Mariucci that year. Also the heart and Determination comment was questionable considering they let up one goal in six periods that weekend.

I'm responding to the comment you made that if the Gophers did not play the regional at Mariucci that they Would not have made it to the Frozen Four. The key words here are "Would not", nobody knows if they would have made it to the Frozen Four if they had not played at Mariucci that year. Also the heart and Determination comment was questionable considering they let up one goal in six periods that weekend.

Oh, OK, I thought your post had a comment that stated "According to you the only way the Gophers can play in the Frozen Four is if they play their regionals at home" followed by a ??? icon. I must be seeing things cuz I swore I saw this in your post. And that, my fellow friend, was the comment of yours I was referring to. But if you didn't say that, then I guess I'm guilty of the same thing as you by trying to put words in your mouth.

Exactly. It's impossible to win a low scoring overtime ncaa tourney game, let alone two, without playing with heart, grit, and determination.

The Gophers were by far the better team in both those games, shots on goal weren't even close. The two best goalies in the nation, McKee and Howard were the only reasons those games were close.

Puhlease! I'd expect that the Gophers would outshoot most anyone in their own building, buckysieve. Maine gave Minnesota a spirited game and even Cornell had its chances against your beloved 'U'. The Gophers had about 15 power plays to Maine's 2-3 that game. The officiating was atrocious and it STILL took an OT goal for Goldy to pull that game out. I concur...if either of those games are anywhere other than Mariucci, I seriously would have liked the upset special.

Puhlease! I'd expect that the Gophers would outshoot most anyone in their own building, buckysieve. Maine gave Minnesota a spirited game and even Cornell had its chances against your beloved 'U'. The Gophers had about 15 power plays to Maine's 2-3 that game. The officiating was atrocious and it STILL took an OT goal for Goldy to pull that game out. I concur...if either of those games are anywhere other than Mariucci, I seriously would have liked the upset special.

Thank you for proving my point about the Gophers dominating Maine. Whenever the penalties are that lobsided it is a direct reflection of one team dominating another. Most knowledgable hockey fans are able to grasp this concept. Maine was forced to take one penalty after another because they couldn't come close to skating with the Gophers. The shots on goal were 38-25 for the game and 27-14 after the first period in favor of the Gophers. The shots on goal versus Cornell were 39-18 in favor of the Gophers and an unbelievable 26-7 thru two periods. So yeah, I stand by my statement. The Gophers DOMINATED Maine and Cornell.

Are we arguing about domination or effort? I thought the effort was there both games and the Gophers had a nice edge the Maine game. The Cornell game was a toss up. The shots the Gophers did get weren't the same type of looks they had vs. Maine. Mostly perimeter garbage.

You just keep wearing the Blue and Baby Blue when the Gophs face Maine OK? ???

Are we arguing about domination or effort? I thought the effort was there both games and the Gophers had a nice edge the Maine game. The Cornell game was a toss up. The shots the Gophers did get weren't the same type of looks they had vs. Maine. Mostly perimeter garbage.

You just keep wearing the Blue and Baby Blue when the Gophs face Maine OK? ???

I agree we outplayed Maine more than Cornell but I disagree that the Cornell game was a toss up. Shots were 26-7 thru two periods. I know Cornell expected to get outshot and they're not bothered by it but 26-7 is a remarkable edge in what is usually a pretty telling stat. I'd be interested to see what the scoring chances were. They would probably be closer to even but I'm sure the Gophers still had the edge in that stat as well.

The shots on goal were 38-25 for the game and 27-14 after the first period in favor of the Gophers.

That means that after weathering the first period storm, the SOG for the rest of the game were 11-11. Yea, total domination. In fact, I've never seen such domination. Had anyone else been in goal, it would have no doubt been 20-0 Gophers. Frankly, I don't understand why they even played the 2005 Frozen Four because Denver, CC, and North Dakota should have been shaking in their skates at the Gophers total domination of their regional opponents.

I agree we outplayed Maine more than Cornell but I disagree that the Cornell game was a toss up. Shots were 26-7 thru two periods. I know Cornell expected to get outshot and they're not bothered by it but 26-7 is a remarkable edge in what is usually a pretty telling stat. I'd be interested to see what the scoring chances were. They would probably be closer to even but I'm sure the Gophers still had the edge in that stat as well.

Yep, if it weren't for McKee, Cornell would have no doubt been run over by at least 30 goals.

That means that after weathering the first period storm, the SOG for the rest of the game were 11-11. Yea, total domination. In fact, I've never seen such domination. Had anyone else been in goal, it would have no doubt been 20-0 Gophers. Frankly, I don't understand why they even played the 2005 Frozen Four because Denver, CC, and North Dakota should have been shaking in their skates at the Gophers total domination of their regional opponents.

Maybe I worded that in a way that was misleading. The shots in the first period were 11-11 and from that point on they were 27-14, finishing 38-25. The final two periods is when the Gophers dominated. Sorry for the confusion.

Maybe I worded that in a way that was misleading. The shots in the first period were 11-11 and from that point on they were 27-14, finishing 38-25. The final two periods is when the Gophers dominated. Sorry for the confusion.

Since I was there, I'm going by memory, but it seemed as though it was a pretty good hockey game. Then again, I don't wear maroon goggles when I'm watching. I should know by now that the Gophers pretty much dominate anybody when they take the ice and that it's only by an act of God that they don't go 35-0 every year.

??? A whole 10 minutes has passed with some confusing rebuttal from the Rottweiller Bucky. What's up with that. ;)

Sioux-Habit, normally I agree with most everything you say concerning the goophs and their fans. However as the owner of a Rottweiller I'm offended that you would associate such a majestic and powerful animal like that with bucky. He's more of the varmint variety, low on the food chain and such.

Sioux-Habit, normally I agree with most everything you say concerning the goophs and their fans. However as the owner of a Rottweiller I'm offended that you would associate such a majestic and powerful animal like that with bucky. He's more of the varmint variety, low on the food chain and such.

Sorry to offend, he is a rodent through and through. ???

???

buckysieve could maybe revive the old SNL skit "Da Bears." He could even replace Chris Farley. Cue superfan George Wendt!

Hey, buckysieve, Gophers and Sioux dis weekend in Grand Forks. Who ya gonna take?

Uhhh...Gophers sixty-tree to nuttin'.

Changin' gears here, for a minute, da Indy Five Hunnerd is dis weekend. Buckysieve, who ya got?

Uhh...I gotta go wit Danica Patrick.

Hokay den, how about 'dis....Coach Lucia's in da race. Now who ya gonna take?

I dunno...what's Donny drivin'?

Hmnnnn...da yellow Gopher bus!

Aaaahhh...Coach Lucia!