SiouxSports.com Forum

Congratulations Jonathan!

DamStrait

Far be it from me to actually defend Kessel, but you have to look at the venue. This is the NHL draft, not the college draft. I don't think anyone should expect ANY prospect to say that it is their dream to play in anywhere BUT the NHL. I would have been more shocked if a player said, "Well, being drafted is really nice, but it always has been my dream to play college/major junior hockey so I guess we'll have to see what happens after I graduate/pass the age limit (major juniors)"

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far be it from me to actually defend Kessel, but you have to look at the venue. This is the NHL draft, not the college draft. I don't think anyone should expect ANY prospect to say that it is their dream to play in anywhere BUT the NHL. I would have been more shocked if a player said, "Well, being drafted is really nice, but it always has been my dream to play college/major junior hockey so I guess we'll have to see what happens after I graduate/pass the age limit (major juniors)"

Actually if compare and contrast Toews and Kessel it would appear that Toews is quite a bit more polished and better spoken of the two players.

Can someone tell me why in the NHL article on Toews' being picked 3rd, that they say "He doesn't know if he'll play in Chicago or FARGO next year."?

Everyone knows GF is just a northern suberb of Fargo :sad:

It is much more likely Toews will be playing in Chicago next season. It was fun watching him develop last season.

Everyone knows GF is just a northern suberb of Fargo :sad:

It is much more likely Toews will be playing in Chicago next season. It was fun watching him develop last season.

I'm going with my gut feeling telling me that Toews will be in Far, er, Grand Forks, next season. Giggity giggity...alright!

quagmirethrust.gif

After winning a national title, Frozen Four MVP, WCHA Rookie of the Year and wanting out of the Gopher program so bad he'd take five dollars, Vanek returned for his sophomore season? Makes sense.

Um...Vanek didn't win the Frozen Four MOP UNTIL his sophomore year...Grant Potulny was the 2002 Frozen Four MOP.

Vanek wasn't on the '02 championship team...

:sad: You're right...he was a freshman in 2002-2003...I was thinking he was a freshman in 2001-2002. My hockey mind wasn't in its right frame for that time span during the dark ages known as "the years the Gophers were called 'national champions'".

:sad: You're right...he was a freshman in 2002-2003...I was thinking he was a freshman in 2001-2002. My hockey mind wasn't in its right frame for that time span during the dark ages known as "the years the Gophers were called 'national champions'".

Yeah, it's definitely a period in college hockey history I'd like to forget. ;)

Character? As a freshman, he developed into one of the leaders on a Fighting Sioux squad loaded with talent, including 2004 1st round picks Drew Stafford and Travis Zajac. North Dakota lost to eventual NCAA champion Wisconsin in the Frozen Four semifinals.

if we only could have gotten past Wisconsin at the Frozen Four..... :sad:

When my sons went to hockey camp, we (parents, interested parties) were allowed to watch them on the ice. I wonder if that is still the case? Someone could go to the Ralph and say their kids on the ice and want to watch him/her on the ice. We could see what players are helping coach. :sad:

When my sons went to hockey camp, we (parents, interested parties) were allowed to watch them on the ice. I wonder if that is still the case? Someone could go to the Ralph and say their kids on the ice and want to watch him/her on the ice. We could see what players are helping coach. :sad:

In some circles this would be referred as "stocking"... ;)

I checked in some the campers last week when I was still in GF so I stopped by the Ralph to watch them play. You can just walk right in and watch. They play both on the Olympic and Main sheets of ice. Basically there all day until like nine at night (not sure). It was neat to see the Sioux player interactions with the kids, and some of the kids are absolutly hilarious to watch! If you have some free time, I'd recommend it... it will make you smile.

I checked in some the campers last week when I was still in GF so I stopped by the Ralph to watch them play. You can just walk right in and watch. They play both on the Olympic and Main sheets of ice. Basically there all day until like nine at night (not sure). It was neat to see the Sioux player interactions with the kids, and some of the kids are absolutly hilarious to watch! If you have some free time, I'd recommend it... it will make you smile.

When my boys went to camp they weren't on the ice all day. The evenings were pretty loose, they could free skate, swim, bowl, etc. But that was a looong time ago.

I agree,they're fun to watch especially the little guys. I wonder who does the power skating now? Nancy Burggraft (sp) coached my last kid. (told you it was a long time ago) She was tough and the kids had mean thoughts about her while they were being coached but loved her off the ice and years later when what she taught them showed in their game.

Last week they had girls camps and guys defensive camps (I believe)... based on the number of campers that we checked into the halls, there were a lot of groups and different ages. So basically someone was on the ice all day. You could also find groups playings games outside or walking around campus on their way to eat or the pool...

it is really quite funny to watch the players coach the kids (and its fun to have them as counselors, :sad: ) most of the players do work out in the summer together, Bina's working pretty hard if i do say so... there is approximately 3 hours/day of ice time for each group, and you alternate between olympic/nhl ice every day(ex:oly,nhl,oly every day) the camp is a lot of fun. in your free time, you are basically free to do anything reasonable between ice times(roughly 45 mins). this year, our group got to play football in the afternoon which was great fun! ;)