SiouxSports.com Forum

Congratulations Jonathan!

DamStrait

#3 overall in the 2006 NHL draft and #1 in our hearts.

Good for you. It goes without saying that I'd love to see back in a Sioux sweater for another year (or three), but if not, thanks for becoming a Sioux for at least one season.

I think that if you come back you'll help win #8 for UND and be the next Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner.

Again, a well deserved congratulations.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#3 overall in the 2006 NHL draft and #1 in our hearts.

Good for you. It goes without saying that I'd love to see back in a Sioux sweater for another year (or three), but if not, thanks for becoming a Sioux for at least one season.

I think that if you come back you'll help win #8 for UND and be the next Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner.

Again, a well deserved congratulations.

Is it true that the announcer said his younger brother was coming to play at UND?

Way to go Jonathan!!! ??? All those hours of practice, practice, practice have paid off. Your an asset to our Fighting Sioux hockey team and you will be an assest to the Blackhawks organization. We'd love to have you back for another year but ya gotta do what's best for you.

I'll be following your career in the sports pages!!!

what do you think the odds of J.T. Coming back will be? He is definatley a fun guy to watch. However with Chicago stating that they would like to sign whomever they draft...do you think they will?

The way I see it is - why sign him now if they don't need him right away. He is pretty young and another year of development at one of the finest programs in the nation certainly would not hurt.

I pulled this off of one of the Blackhawks message boards, so take it for what it's worth. It's reportedly from an AP story:

``It's pretty awesome,'' Toews said after he was chosen. ``It's great to be here and at the top of the draft, and to have a chance to be part of the Chicago Blackhawks is unbelievable.''

``Until I'm able to play in the NHL, I don't want to leave UND,'' he said. ``We had such a great team last season, and it's going to be the same thing this season. It's a special group of special guys. So, until I'm ready, I want to stay.''

The way I see it is - why sign him now if they don't need him right away. He is pretty young and another year of development at one of the finest programs in the nation certainly would not hurt.

I agree. i think that he would be best off with another year of development...and he sounds like he really likes it here and doesnt want to leave until he is ready and even though the players always "say" that, i think this one sounds different because he knows that he will be offered a contract. he has said that in every interview that i have read directly that he likes it here and if he doesnt feel hes ready hes going to stay. there are a lot of players who dont have this privilege like toews or jack johnson perhaps. i get the feeling that many of the players have to hope they will get the offer and then take it right away.

I pulled this off of one of the Blackhawks message boards, so take it for what it's worth. It's reportedly from an AP story:

``It's pretty awesome,'' Toews said after he was chosen. ``It's great to be here and at the top of the draft, and to have a chance to be part of the Chicago Blackhawks is unbelievable.''

``Until I'm able to play in the NHL, I don't want to leave UND,'' he said. ``We had such a great team last season, and it's going to be the same thing this season. It's a special group of special guys. So, until I'm ready, I want to stay.''

Yes, now contrast that to what Kessel has been saying and it's easy to see why Toews is at North Dakota and why Kessel is at Minnesota:

Kessel is hopeful he can play for the Bruins in the fall.

Can Jonathan participate at the Blackhawks tryout camp and maintain his NC$$ amateur status?

I believe he would have to pay his way to the tryout camp if he wants NCAA eligibility. If he goes without paying for it, it means its paid for by the Blackhawks, and college players can't receive gifts or anything like that. That's what I've been told anyways.

I believe he would have to pay his way to the tryout camp if he wants NCAA eligibility. If he goes without paying for it, it means its paid for by the Blackhawks, and college players can't receive gifts or anything like that. That's what I've been told anyways.

You're right about having anyone (parent/relatives ok) pay for anything for a student athlete but I was wondering about just the tryout. I'm guessing that tryouts must be ok if the student pays all his own costs, including meals, etc., and doesn't have an agent but practicing with the team is not ok (I read that somewhere in this forum).

You're right about having anyone (parent/relatives ok) pay for anything for a student athlete but I was wondering about just the tryout. I'm guessing that tryouts must be ok if the student pays all his own costs, including meals, etc., and doesn't have an agent but practicing with the team is not ok (I read that somewhere in this forum).

Can't find the article that was on the Blackhawks site any longer, but it said Jonathan would be at a Blackhawks camp beginning July 4. From that camp they would decide whether to sign him or let him play another year as a Sioux. Assume he picks up his own tab if not signed?

Can't find the article that was on the Blackhawks site any longer, but it said Jonathan would be at a Blackhawks camp beginning July 4. From that camp they would decide whether to sign him or let him play another year as a Sioux. Assume he picks up his own tab if not signed?

In that case it's a good thing it flooded this year as Toews most likely learned how to sandbag. :sad:

Here's some links for footage of the draft.

Draft Intro

Toews Draft Pick

Focus on Toews

Interview with Toews

Thanks! Those are really awesome to see. Not to try and change the topic of the thread at all, but in the "Focus on Toews" clip there was one quote that made me laugh. "Do you think that if Chicago didn't have Jack Skille they would have taken Kessel?" There is some obviously some bad blood there.

Either way, Congrats to Jonathan! Hope to see you in a Sioux jersey for one more year :sad:

Thanks! Those are really awesome to see. Not to try and change the topic of the thread at all, but in the "Focus on Toews" clip there was one quote that made me laugh. "Do you think that if Chicago didn't have Jack Skille they would have taken Kessel?" There is some obviously some bad blood there.

Either way, Congrats to Jonathan! Hope to see you in a Sioux jersey for one more year :sad:

Anyone else bored with Kessel, did everyone see his last quote, not his dream to play college hockey, but it is his dream to play with the NHL. I supppose T-Don is happy with that one. I also heard he was quoted as saying college is boring. I think the kid is an @$$ if you ask me and I am disappointed in the Bruins for Drafting him.

Anyone else bored with Kessel, did everyone see his last quote, not his dream to play college hockey, but it is his dream to play with the NHL. I supppose T-Don is happy with that one. I also heard he was quoted as saying college is boring. I think the kid is an @$$ if you ask me and I am disappointed in the Bruins for Drafting him.

Every kid who plays hockey dreams of playing in the NHL, not college hockey. Kessel is just the only one dumb enough to say it.