SiouxSports.com Forum

lawsuit --it's on!

YaneA

Hopefully in addition to securing the funding for the lawsuit, the university has secured some savvy media consultants, because that is really where this whole thing will be won or lost. The media attention that this will receive is beyond anything seen in Grand Forks before. President Kupchella's letter was a solid start, but it is now vital to have the right person out front and on camera for the interviews with Anderson Cooper, Larry King, Sean Hannity, etc. Now is the time to go on the offensive before the NCAA can push their spin that UND is racist and exploiting Native Americans. Strike while the iron is hot!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully in addition to securing the funding for the lawsuit, the university has secured some savvy media consultants, because that is really where this whole thing will be won or lost. The media attention that this will receive is beyond anything seen in Grand Forks before. President Kupchella's letter was a solid start, but it is now vital to have the right person out front and on camera for the interviews with Anderson Cooper, Larry King, Sean Hannity, etc. Now is the time to go on the offensive before the NCAA can push their spin that UND is racist and exploiting Native Americans. Strike while the iron is hot!

I couldn't agree more. Judging from the early chatter in the message boards and the blogosphere, UND has the early P.R. advantage, but there's a very long way to go.

I agree. Kupchella isn't a particularly eloquent speaker or dynamic, but I do think that he makes a good David in the coming David vs. Goliath battle. He's good at stating UND's case and getting people to empathize with UND's point of view. He should be on TV as much as possible.

I agree. Kupchella isn't a particularly eloquent speaker or dynamic, but I do think that he makes a good David in the coming David vs. Goliath battle. He's good at stating UND's case and getting people to empathize with UND's point of view. He should be on TV as much as possible.

Maybe this guy can give him a few pointers. :silly:

Kupchella will be the cornerstone no doubt, but I think it is also critical to get people like Ben Brien, Greg Holy Bull, and any of the countless Native American doctors and other alums who are supportive of the name. They would add a great deal of credibility to the arguments being made by the University. It is likely that the NCAA will trot out the Russell Means and Vernon Bellecourts of the world and UND must be prepared for that.

It might be also be a good idea to find others who the NCAA has bullied, like Jerry Tarkanian and Jeremy Bloom, to serve as reminders of the history of overreaching by the NCAA.

I'm not sure about the history of UND athletics, but I'd have to think that there have been some athletes on some of the teams that are Sioux. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have some of them give a statement on their opinion of the logo and the school environment?

I'm not sure about the history of UND athletics, but I'd have to think that there have been some athletes on some of the teams that are Sioux. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have some of them give a statement on their opinion of the logo and the school environment?

This would be ideal. Just not any I can recall of the top of my head.

Ok, ok. I'll go on TV and speak for UND. I know that's what you all want.

The SBoHE met, discussed your qualifications and voted to have you be the spokesperson for UND on television to discuss the lawsuit against the NC$$. But, you have to agree to the following rules,

1. You can only wear a speed-o, hockey skates, your Sioux flag cape and a smile when giving an interview,

2. You have to be sober for all the interviews, and

3. You have to have at least five of your own friends in attendance for every interview (yes, you can get them from 'Rent a Friend'. :silly: )

The SBoHE met, discussed your qualifications and voted to have you be the spokesperson for UND on television to discuss the lawsuit against the NC$$. But, you have to agree to the following rules,

1. You can only wear a speed-o, hockey skates, your Sioux flag cape and a smile when giving an interview,

2. You have to be sober for all the interviews, and

3. You have to have at least five of your own friends in attendance for every interview (yes, you can get them from 'Rent a Friend'. :silly: )

1. My costume will be new and improved this year. I think I should be allowed to wear the full regalia.

2. Supringly, that's nearly a given.

3. Whew!!!

When we were going to Cancun, Mr. HockeyMom needed swim gear and the avatar picked a bright red Speedo off the rack. I took a pic of her with a HUGE grin on her face holding it up and sent the picture to him saying that I let her pick it out.

I do think that the NCAA has been made out to look like the big bully that it is. I also think that it helps with the PR that North Dakota is going after the NCAA on behalf of the University of North Dakota.

DON'T MESS WITH US NCAA, WE'RE ON TOP FOR A REASON!!!!!

commie when he raises the cup?

Just be prepared for he flood of stories in the next day or two saying that UND has no chance. :silly:

well - we're taking our shot! Let them say..."oh they're just behind our marvelous politically correct times"...personally I'm glad we're taking a stand against the PC hypocrisy of the NC$$...as Jerome Beasely would say..."LET THE MARBLES FALL WHERE THEY MAY!! :D "

I know Vince Eastman and Darren Bear are both Sioux. Vinny played baseball from '91 to '92. Darren played hockey all four years I think.

commie when he raises the cup?

Althought Commie is not a Native American Sioux, him raising Lord Stanley's Cup, will show everyone that UND can, and does, produce many excellent athletes, from what the NCAA calls a hostile and abusive environment.

This reply also goes for Greene, should he be the one to raise the cup.

Glad to hear that North Dakota is not backing down. I am part Irish, Indian, French, and English and the nicknames Fighting Sioux and Fighting Irish are not offensive to me at all. The politically correct thought police have tried to take over America and each day we are losing more and more of our religious rights,freedom of speech, and they are injecting bizarre ideas into public schools, the entertainment and media industries, and the workplace. Thanks for standing up North Dakota.

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

Great news as far as I'm concerned. It seems to me that Brand is promising to defend hypocrisy to the "utmost". I hope there is some site for contributions to the legal defense fund from the general public.

Does the family of Englestad still actively support your University? That may be the source of some initial funds for this suit.

I personally am a supporter of the nickname and am hoping this is a successful lawsuit, but i would have no problem of a change of nickname. But there are multiple ramifacations to changing the nickname, and the biggest one in my eyes would be the amount of Native American Programs. Right now there are about 425 native american students and roughly 26 programs, or 1 program for every 16 students. Does anyone really think these will continue to have the kind of support, if say for instance we were the UND fighting wolverines. My guess is these would be the first programs on the chopping block. Not trying to rip on anyone, but that would most likely be the case. It also appears to me that a lot of the native americans that don't support the nickname, were once for it, but not anymore because of the constant questions they receive about it. I'm of the feeling that if the Sioux tribe is against it then change it, but until that happens leave it. When Florida State got approved they only used the seminoles opinion, so why was the case different here at UND?

What I would like to see would for us to win the lawsuit, and then announce we will start a fund raiser over a 10 year period, to study, and finance a name change. The difference would be that it would be on OUR terms and OUR timeline, not rushed like the NCAA would like. The name may change but in a lot of eyes we will always be the Fighting Sioux. Their are more important things that the University does that goes overlooked everyday, lets start concentrating on those, but for now lets kick the NCAA's ASS!