SiouxSports.com Forum

lawsuit --it's on!

YaneA

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally am a supporter of the nickname and am hoping this is a successful lawsuit, but i would have no problem of a change of nickname. But there are multiple ramifacations to changing the nickname, and the biggest one in my eyes would be the amount of Native American Programs. Right now there are about 425 native american students and roughly 26 programs, or 1 program for every 16 students. Does anyone really think these will continue to have the kind of support, if say for instance we were the UND fighting wolverines. My guess is these would be the first programs on the chopping block. Not trying to rip on anyone, but that would most likely be the case. It also appears to me that a lot of the native americans that don't support the nickname, were once for it, but not anymore because of the constant questions they receive about it. I'm of the feeling that if the Sioux tribe is against it then change it, but until that happens leave it. When Florida State got approved they only used the seminoles opinion, so why was the case different here at UND?

What I would like to see would for us to win the lawsuit, and then announce we will start a fund raiser over a 10 year period, to study, and finance a name change. The difference would be that it would be on OUR terms and OUR timeline, not rushed like the NCAA would like. The name may change but in a lot of eyes we will always be the Fighting Sioux. Their are more important things that the University does that goes overlooked everyday, lets start concentrating on those, but for now lets kick the NCAA's ASS!

I don't believe the loss of the nickname would or should affect the status of the AI programs at UND.

I agree, any name change must only be done on UND's terms, not on a ridiculous edict out of Indianapolis.

Here it is on the Startribune website with a few spelling errors (good journalism and editing work startribune):

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/494841.html

I sent Chuck Haga a little message yesterday regarding his little typo and he even responded....:silly:

Me: UND's president is Charles Kupchella.....not Kupcella....c'mon Chuck, aren't

you a former Grand Forks guy? :D

Chuckster:... you're right, of course ... I've managed to spell it correctly in the

past; don't know why I dropped the h this time ... maybe thinking too Italian.

I've had it fixed for tomorrow's paper, and it should be fixed online shortly.

Thanks.

Chuck

I personally am a supporter of the nickname and am hoping this is a successful lawsuit, but i would have no problem of a change of nickname. But there are multiple ramifacations to changing the nickname, and the biggest one in my eyes would be the amount of Native American Programs. Right now there are about 425 native american students and roughly 26 programs, or 1 program for every 16 students. Does anyone really think these will continue to have the kind of support, if say for instance we were the UND fighting wolverines. My guess is these would be the first programs on the chopping block.

Kupchella has flatly stated that there is no connection between the American Indian programs on campus and keeping the Fighting Sioux nickname. That's the way it should be. For name supporters to use these programs as leverage to get their way is, in my opinion, unconscioncable.

I sent Chuck Haga a little message yesterday regarding his little typo and he even responded....:silly:

Me: UND's president is Charles Kupchella.....not Kupcella....c'mon Chuck, aren't

you a former Grand Forks guy? :D

Chuckster:... you're right, of course ... I've managed to spell it correctly in the

past; don't know why I dropped the h this time ... maybe thinking too Italian.

I've had it fixed for tomorrow's paper, and it should be fixed online shortly.

Thanks.

Chuck

Nice Blackheart :D I thought about emailing him but figured no one would respond. It is nice to see he responded and will fix it. BTW, I had no idea he (Chuck Haga) was a Grand Forks guy.

UND President Charles Kupchella sent an open letter to the NCAA last week saying that "[T]he policy you have instituted is illegitimate and ... has been applied to the University of North Dakota in an unfair, arbitrary, capricious, fundamentally irrational, and harmful manner."

Is this a quote from President Kupchella, or Jacky Chiles?

UND President Charles Kupchella sent an open letter to the NCAA last week saying that "[T]he policy you have instituted is illegitimate and ... has been applied to the University of North Dakota in an unfair, arbitrary, capricious, fundamentally irrational, and harmful manner."(quote)

Is this a quote from President Kupchella, or Jacky Chiles?

What's more important is whether or not Brand or Harrison will understand what capricious, fundamentally irrational, arbitrary, illegitimate, and, most importantly, the word policy means.

:silly:

Nice Blackheart :silly: I thought about emailing him but figured no one would respond. It is nice to see he responded and will fix it. BTW, I had no idea he (Chuck Haga) was a Grand Forks guy.

Chuck wrote a column for the GF Herald for quite a while before moving on to the big city. He once claimed a couple of small islands in the middle of the Red River. The larger one was called Hagaland and the smaller one something like Lesser Hagaland. They only exist when the river level comes down. The main law on Hagaland seemed to be that zucchini was not allowed. Chuck also liked to stop at Griggs Landing for a beer once in a while. It was right down the alley from the Herald.

I was just on www.uscho.com and the have a poll going to ask the people that go to the website about the lawsuit. I think everyone needs to get on there and vote to show support.

It is on the home page.

USCHO

Not sure if I did that right. Sorryif I did not..

I was just on www.uscho.com and the have a poll going to ask the people that go to the website about the lawsuit. I think everyone needs to get on there and vote to show support.

It is on the home page.

USCHO

Not sure if I did that right. Sorryif I did not..

Yes, you did it right. I went to vote to show my support. Do you think that maybe this should have a separate topic so that eveyone will go & vote to show their support?!? I am not sure how to move this in order to do it ~ Anyone else?!?!

Bill Brudvik, candidate for State's Attorney, goes on record to say that the Attorney General's office should not be involved in the UND vs NCAA lawsuit. He says its a UND issue and that it will be too time consuming for the SA to take on. He doesn't think that Stenejhm has the time to take on the case. Stenejhm says the States Attorney's office is the only one that can represent the state in lawsuits.

Brudvik does support the name and logo.

Bill Brudvik, candidate for State's Attorney, goes on record to say that the Attorney General's office should not be involved in the UND vs NCAA lawsuit. He says its a UND issue and that it will be too time consuming for the SA to take on. He doesn't think that Stenejhm has the time to take on the case. Stenejhm says the States Attorney's office is the only one that can represent the state in lawsuits.

Good information. I do not live in North Dakota anymore but I do know who i would be voting for come November. I do not want to drop names but my mom is friends with Stenejhm and told her that he thought this would come down to a lawsuit. He sounded confident when he told her.

I suppose the Democrat candidate is in a bit of a sticky situation in that the vast majority of the people in the state support the nickname, but a sizeable number of activists in his own party are staunchly against it. He's trying to a walk a middle-road by saying he supports the nickname, but doesn't support the lawsuit by the A.G. It's kind of like ND's congressional delegation who say, when asked, that they support the name, but don't do anything to show it. Stenehjem seems to be only politician in North Dakota with a spine on this issue.

I'll predict that the issue of the A.G. bringing the lawsuit ends up in court before the actual litigation with the NCAA. The activists will stop at nothing to put up as many roadblocks as possible.

I suppose the Democrat candidate is in a bit of a sticky situation in that the vast majority of the people in the state support the nickname, but a sizeable number of activists in his own party are staunchly against it. He's trying to a walk a middle-road by saying he supports the nickname, but doesn't support the lawsuit by the A.G. It's kind of like ND's congressional delegation who say, when asked, that they support the name, but don't do anything to show it. Stenehjem seems to be only politician in North Dakota with a spine on this issue.

I'll predict that the issue of the A.G. bringing the lawsuit ends up in court before the actual litigation with the NCAA. The activists will stop at nothing to put up as many roadblocks as possible.

Did anyone see Stenhjeim on TV last night. He was quoted as stating that Mr. Brudvik may not know th laws concerning the AG office. Since the SBoHE voted in favor of the lawsuit, The AG's office has to be the one's to try it since the board is an official office of the State of North Dakota. Not sure if I got that 100% correct, but Mr. Stenhjeim made it sound as though it's state law that the AG be invovled.

It would only make sense that the State AG would represent State entities in the courts. Maybe the AG would "supervise" an outside firm's handling of the case, but the AG would still be the first name representing the State in the case.

I do have one question I would like to ask if that's possible. Is this suit going to fought in State Court or Federal Court? If it's federal I thing UND would have a much better chance. I don't know what does the pannel of experts think? If anyone has the answer could the please be kind to post it. Thank you.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

I do have one question I would like to ask if that's possible. Is this suit going to fought in State Court or Federal Court? If it's federal I thing UND would have a much better chance. I don't know what does the pannel of experts think? If anyone has the answer could the please be kind to post it. Thank you.

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

The decision on venue has not been announced. My guess is that it will be federal court, District of North Dakota.

It's going to be interesting to see which way we do go, Federal or State. UND is a state institution and the NC$$ is not a Federal institution but if anti-trust is going to be part of the lawsuit, it could go Federal.

I want it to go where it's going to have the biggest impact on the NC$$ when we win the case! That probably means Federal.

It's going to be interesting to see which way we do go, Federal or State. UND is a state institution and the NC$$ is not a Federal institution but if anti-trust is going to be part of the lawsuit, it could go Federal.

I want it to go where it's going to have the biggest impact on the NC$$ when we win the case! That probably means Federal.

I still have reservations of going the route of the anti-trust... Though the NCAA has lost a few of those cases (lost being the loose term being that most of these "losses" really were conceded by means of settlement and not to my knowledge by verdict).

But I do think that, regardless of venue, it really comes down to a jury (if there is one) and the judge. Sorry, Sioux-cia, but if they have bleeding heart liberals dominating the jury and sitting on the bench, I think we're screwed.

But I do think that, regardless of venue, it really comes down to a jury (if there is one) and the judge. Sorry, Sioux-cia, but if they have bleeding heart liberals dominating the jury and sitting on the bench, I think we're screwed.

So, bypass the a trial by jury and go with the judge as the judge deciding factor. ???

Not necessarily. They tend to like the underdog.