SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning Says UND Moving

UND Fan

If 'su would have been a "LEADER" - you would have moved up 20 years ago when your "major sport" DID rule DII football! You only (finally and selfishly) pulled the chute when you realized you couldn't bank your future on a two-decade old reputation you couldn't maintain. You left with your tail between your legs but countered it by promptly throwing your noses up in the air - I guess one of your engineering degrees DOES have some practical applications! :ohmy:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***Biting....tongue.....*** I can't give you a pass on this one. Let's be honest, the national publicity of the Fighting Sioux Frozen Four and championship teams eclipses by tenfold any of NDSU's title teams in football. With that said, I'll be the first to admit that if NDSU, god forbid, were to get into the Big Dance, the attention would blow away anything we've seen on the hockey front. Let's get a grip, here.

Our win over Wisconsin last year was on every sports persons lips all over the USA for weeks. It's what's basically driving your move to DI this year. It's called jealousy. :lol:

Again if your proud of a Championship in a Sport where just a handful of schools compete and you want to brag on it that's ok and I mean that in all honesty. The only problem with it is it's no comparison to any championship in any division where the majority of schools compete.

The Frozen Four is second only to BB in attendance and earned revenue in NCAA championships. Not bad for just a handful of schools competing. The way you talk the FF is held in the Fargo Dome with only the teams' parents in attendance. :ohmy:

Our win over Wisconsin last year was on every sports persons lips all over the USA for weeks.

Oh yeah, that's right, it was the biggest thing since the JFK assassination! :lol: That's what Coach Miles equated it to, wasn't it? :ohmy: Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

It's what's basically driving your move to DI this year.

You're probably somewhat right about that. I've been on the DI bandwagon for quite some time, but I do think that upset opened the eyes of alot those who were on the fence before.

Our win over Wisconsin last year was on every sports persons lips all over the USA for weeks. It's what's basically driving your move to DI this year. It's called jealousy. :ohmy:

Ha! You have to be kidding me. Maybe if "all over the USA" means Fargo/West Fargo/Moorhead. I'm in DC and there was no coverage of it at all. The only way I knew was ESPN.com had it as their lead story for a couple of hours until Duke (?) fell that evening.

Our win over Wisconsin last year was on every sports persons lips all over the USA for weeks. It's what's basically driving your move to DI this year. It's called jealousy. :ohmy:

Your right that I did hear about it for a couple of days. I had one of our suppliers in my office here in Florida a couple of days later and he knew about it. I have a big picture of the Ralph hanging over my desk and he looked up at and said "I hear that your school (UND) beat Wisconsin over the weekend". Sorry, he didn't know who NDSU was, but he hears about UND through hockey

Again if your proud of a Championship in a Sport where just a handful of schools compete and you want to brag on it that's ok and I mean that in all honesty. The only problem with it is it's no comparison to any championship in any division where the majority of schools compete. This is getting off the topic of the thread so will leave it at that and watch with mild curiosity at the bumbling stumbling sioux administration as they try to figure out what to do or not to do next :ohmy:

What sports have prominence other than men's basketball and football? And please tell me that you are not seriously contending that D1AA football is bigger than hockey. Most people not only do not know who wins or care, but cannot name any of the past champions. Basketball is huge, but not for mid-majors. Yes, NDSU beat Wisconsin, but D2 schools have been beating national powers for years and then slide back into oblivion. Remember Chaminade from Hawaii? They beat a number of top D1 teams over the years, including No. 1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson. I doubt that Chaminade has earned the respect of the powers nor caused any "jealousy." NDSU will never be able to compete as a D1 Basketball power, nor will UND when it makes the jump. Geography, demographics and money will dictate how they will do, which is a mid-major. That is not to say that I do not support the move to D1 as I do. However, the reason is that D1AA is now D2 of 10-15 years ago and D2 is becoming the NAIA. It is a necessary evil to move up, at least for football. Having said that, I really could care less about NDSU football or either D2 or D1AA football. Hockey is big time--UND not only competes with the big boys from Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, etc., but actually excels. Can NDSU say the same thing in any sport? Hell, they couldn't even beat the Sioux in football--NDSU's only prominent sport--for the decade before moving to D1AA. Jealous of NDSU? Hardly. They are really irrelevant to many Sioux fans. I can honestly say that I have not only never posted on an NDSU sports message board, but I have never even looked. I JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT NDSU. They are only important in their fans' own minds.

What sports have prominence other than men's basketball and football? And please tell me that you are not seriously contending that D1AA football is bigger than hockey. Most people not only do not know who wins or care, but cannot name any of the past champions. Basketball is huge, but not for mid-majors. Yes, NDSU beat Wisconsin, but D2 schools have been beating national powers for years and then slide back into oblivion. Remember Chaminade from Hawaii? They beat a number of top D1 teams over the years, including No. 1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson. I doubt that Chaminade has earned the respect of the powers nor caused any "jealousy." NDSU will never be able to compete as a D1 Basketball power, nor will UND when it makes the jump. Geography, demographics and money will dictate how they will do, which is a mid-major. That is not to say that I do not support the move to D1 as I do. However, the reason is that D1AA is now D2 of 10-15 years ago and D2 is becoming the NAIA. It is a necessary evil to move up, at least for football. Having said that, I really could care less about NDSU football or either D2 or D1AA football. Hockey is big time--UND not only competes with the big boys from Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Boston College, etc., but actually excels. Can NDSU say the same thing in any sport? Hell, they couldn't even beat the Sioux in football--NDSU's only prominent sport--for the decade before moving to D1AA. Jealous of NDSU? Hardly. They are really irrelevant to many Sioux fans. I can honestly say that I have not only never posted on an NDSU sports message board, but I have never even looked. I JUST DON'T CARE ABOUT NDSU. They are only important in their fans' own minds.

If not jealousy then what? You're running approx (-700,000.00) for a mixed DI and dii budget this year and have no conference invite in hand, so what's driving the move?

Your right that I did hear about it for a couple of days. I had one of our suppliers in my office here in Florida a couple of days later and he knew about it. I have a big picture of the Ralph hanging over my desk and he looked up at and said "I hear that your school (UND) beat Wisconsin over the weekend". Sorry, he didn't know who NDSU was, but he hears about UND through hockey

That's ok. Everyone knows about NDSU Hockey thanks to Red Baron pizza, my new pizza of choice... Yum.... :ohmy:

If not jealousy then what? You're running approx (-700,000.00) for a mixed DI and dii budget this year and have no conference invite in hand, so what's driving the move?

A crumbling NCC.

EDIT: BELLARING COW ALERT!

The only real coverage NDSU got this year was when they won the WCHA Frozen Four. And that only lasted a couple of weeks because they changed the mistake on the poster.

Most NDSU fans will admit that they enjoy Sioux hockey. It's the really jealous ones that can't stop talking about how much better NDSU football is than UND.

Well, the last time that was answered was on the football field, and we all know how that ended, don't we?

*polishes Nickel Trophy*

You are right--it is jealousy. Only it is jealousy or penis envy coming from the ugly stepsister called NDSU. Did you notice that this message board is filled with NDSU fans trying to tell UND how jealous it is? Do you see any irony in there? Calvin Klein makes a cologne that is appropriate---it is called OBSESSION.

Dan, I suppose when the bison made the jump it was all for educatuional purposes. Ya right. The bison jumped ship because it was football driven and they could not handle the tough ncc at the time. Let's see the bison did not win a conference title the past 10 years. Boy, that must have just burned you guys. How did the last game go between the two of us?

21. UND's overall image is better than NDSU's.

22. UND's athletics' image is better than NDSU's.

23. NDSU is winning the public relations game in these parts.

24. NDSU's move to Division I athletics is a major factor why some feel that NDSU has surpassed UND.

Again the "$700k" number comes up.

Can we see how the SUs are doing (their budgets)?

Can we see what the SUs asked for and got in up-front money for the move?

C'mon.

These are easy things.

Show, so UND can find the key take-aways.