SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning Says UND Moving

UND Fan

There is an article in today's Forum with the headline of "Buning: UND Going DI". I certainly hope that he hasn't spoken too soon when he says the time to do so is now! He has put Kupchella in a tough position with those comments. He may have done it on purpose to help "force" the President's decision to move now but that is a pretty dangerous thing to do if you value your job!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we know where Bunning stands. I find it interesting that he said he notified the NCC two weeks ago about UND's intentions to leave.
He makes it look like he's running the whole show on the DI move and Kupchella has little say in it. We'll see.

I can't imagine that the athletic director would make such a statement without the decision pretty much being made. Sounds like it's a done deal to me.

By the way how did the deadline get moved to July 1, I am sure someone has said on another thread I must have missed it.

The article says that Buning has not "formally" made his recommendation to Kupchella, but you can bet everyone is "informally" on the same page for Buning to be this overt about the move. I'm now convinced that UND will announce a move up in the next 30 days.

If Buning is being a loose cannon on this, I'd look for him to be gone by July of '07, if Kupchella says we're staying status quo. I don't think this is the case. Also, if and when UND declares D-I intentions, look for St.Cloud State to follow suit.

The article says that Buning has not "formally" made his recommendation to Kupchella, but you can bet everyone is "informally" on the same page for Buning to be this overt about the move. I'm now convinced that UND will announce a move up in the next 30 days.

If Buning is being a loose cannon on this, I'd look for him to be gone by July of '07, if Kupchella says we're staying status quo. I don't think this is the case. Also, if and when UND declares D-I intentions, look for St.Cloud State to follow suit.

Does SCSU become our travel partner?

I can't imagine that the athletic director would make such a statement without the decision pretty much being made. Sounds like it's a done deal to me.

By the way how did the deadline get moved to July 1, I am sure someone has said on another thread I must have missed it.

UND appealed and was granted a 30 day extension.

UND appealed and was granted a 30 day extension.

Asking for that extension in itself could be an indications of intentions to move DI. If UND were staying DII, that sudden revelation about the earlier deadline would have been more reason for Kupchella to stand pat for the time being.

So how will it play out:

A. Everyone is in lock-step with the D-I move and an announcement is coming in June.

B. Buning has effectively told Kupchella, "I'm no longer interested in this job if D-II is your direction" and Kupchella announces UND stays D-II.

C. Something else I haven't thought of.

There is an article in today's Forum with the headline of "Buning: UND Going DI". I certainly hope that he hasn't spoken too soon when he says the time to do so is now! He has put Kupchella in a tough position with those comments. He may have done it on purpose to help "force" the President's decision to move now but that is a pretty dangerous thing to do if you value your job!

I agree with that....along with all the other things going on....value might be a under estimated word....might explain why the AD's vehicle was at Twamley most of the afternoon!!! ooopppssssss

So how will it play out:

A. Everyone is in lock-step with the D-I move and an announcement is coming in June.

B. Buning has effectively told Kupchella, "I'm no longer interested in this job if D-II is your direction" and Kupchella announces UND stays D-II.

C. Something else I haven't thought of.

ABCDEFGHI....Did Rob Bollinger sell his house yet...oh yeah he did....is it too late to offer him the AD job???

legend, I take it you're a big supporter of the DI move for UND?

This is how I see things playing out in the immediate future:

UND moves DI

Mid Con takes IPFW, UVSC, NDSU, SDSU, and UND for a 12 team conference

Great West adds UND as the sixth member.

legend, I take it you're a big supporter of the DI move for UND?

This is how I see things playing out in the immediate future:

UND moves DI

Mid Con takes IPFW, UVSC, NDSU, SDSU, and UND for a 12 team conference

Great West adds UND as the sixth member.

Right now I'm kind of thinking that UND does have something up its sleve after all. The mid con hasn't wanted anything to do with IPFW for quite awhile, but another team to get to 10 has all of a sudden emerged. I think UND, NDSU and SDSU will be added to the mid con next month. SDSU will partner with UMKC, while UND and NDSU will be travel partners. The admin. at UND has been trying so hard for a conference, I think they may have gotten their wish after all now.

How dangerous is that job-wise, in terms of Bunning coming out and saying that before the Big Cheese even mentions anything? That took gahonas... either that or lack of brains (not thinking in terms of job security apparently)... I guess will find out soon enough.