SiouxSports.com Forum

J-Par Likely Gone

TMK

Actually I think Theodore is a all-star goalie and will have a great year next season.

Their back up goalie who I can't spell his name is also pretty well so I am not so sure I would say that.

I agree that they have two good young goaltenders. I think their backup Budaj is good enough to start somewhere which may make it tough for Colorado to hold on to him.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is sooo very true. Eddie Belfour does more for Sioux hockey than most of us will ever know. He is as dedicated to the Fighting Sioux as Ralph Engelstad was. He's been helping ever since he move up to the NHL, and, he delivered again last week. ???

How long are you and Hak1 going to hold out on us, Rick? :D

Did we land Belfour's son??

I believe that Hak #1 may have already let us know we were getting cold on that guess. Besides the kid is still somewhat struggling to find his game in juniors.

I am still trying to figure out who the other recruit visit was, the one who may have been named Anthony and had darker skin. Anyone?

I beg to differ. Many if not all these boys grew up knowing UND Hockey as one of the number one programs in the country. And for many, the Sioux program was the one they wanted to belong to. Why? Because of the tradition, the outstanding coaching, the success, etc.

I have no doubt that they watched the Sioux play on cable via tape or in person. Many of our former players have son's playing here.

Really?? I didn't know in the 80's the Sioux broadcasted every game on cable. You are looking only at the last few years. I am talking overall. Mostly 1980 to present. I use that as my point of reference mostly because that is when my season tickets started.

It's no coincidence that the players we are able to recruit are from the 'A' list. And what you do not know is that our boys come into the program with 'their deep appreciation for the tradition that is SIOUX HOCKEY'. They don't have to play here four years, as much as we want them to, to develop a love of our program. For instance, Eddie Belfour played ONE YEAR as a Fighting Sioux. I defy anyone to find a bigger Sioux hockey fan than he is. He brought the friggin' Stanley Cup home to us to share in his victory. Last year at the Frozen Four he signed hundreds of autographs and would not stop until every one in line got one, even when a big shot Alum tried t pull him away.

I am not saying you HAVE to stay here 4 years to appreciated it. I just said you can see it in the eyes of the seniors. Also as to not take up too much space I will not list every exception to every rule.

Don't come on this board and tell me that players coming in to the program have never seen the Sioux skate, don't know about our tradition and only appreciate the program when they have stayed four years. I know better. Of course they come here with the goal of the NHL, that's been their life long dream. Staying one year or four years, they give all they've got to the program and if they leave early, God speed, good luck and damn aren't we lucky to have the roster we have!

I don't think we are lucky to have the roster that we have. I believe we have paid our dues and earned enough respect to get the talent we have.

And if a player doesn't want to play for the UND Fighting Sioux because the bars close at 12:30, let him play for the Gophers. Their goal is not to be recruited by a program in a big town, to party all night, it's to play in the best program in the country, learn from outstanding coaches and senior players, and to develop into the type of player that catches the eye of the NHL. That's not gonna happen in a bar at 2AM.

Again you are using 1 sentence as my whole arguement. How many ex-players stick around to live and work after their careers are over? G.F. as I said doesn't have much to offer young people. It has been 10 years since I left. After the flood anyone that had wanted to get out did. I will say otherwise you will attack me again for not including it. G.F. does have a lot to offer as you get older. If my job was possible in G.F. I would move back to raise my family. I am not saying it should be a selling point meaning the bars being open. Listen, I hung around a lot of the Sioux athletes. My cousin played Sioux hockey and my girlfriend was an athlete there also. They all enjoyed their time but, couldn't wait to get out.

Back to the J-Par thread...my whole arguement was. That guys like him probably didn't grow up being a die hard Sioux fan who couldn't wait to put that jersey since he was 6. Why do you think MN landed every Mr. Hockey for a long time. They grew up Gopher fans mostly. So be careful when you go all out on an attack. You can't tell me Belfour was wearing Sioux apparel in grade school. I could cover my self on every point so as not to get shelled again but my time has run out.

Well, these days "Mr. Hockeys" are hard to come by for UMN. ???:D

Like last year, when UND snagged the two best high school players in the state!

That is definately not an everyday occurrence, and these kids may not have grown up w/ UND. All I'm saying is that not EVERY kid from Bantams/Peewees in MN dreams of being a gopher.

It varies by kid, by family, and by funds....if you know what I mean.

Well, these days "Mr. Hockeys" are hard to come by for UMN. ???;)

Like last year, when UND snagged the two best high school players in the state!

That is definately not an everyday occurrence, and these kids may not have grown up w/ UND. All I'm saying is that not EVERY kid from Bantams/Peewees in MN dreams of being a gopher.

It varies by kid, by family, and by funds....if you know what I mean.

You are absolutely correct. Things have changed recently. But as a percentage would you say(I hate to turn this into a UND vs. Gopher thing) more athletes that play for MN grew up idolizing them vs. UND players?

Over the last 20 years which program has landed the most Mr. Hockey's?

Also, if you read my last post. I answered the other comments but they are listed in the blue area. I am messed up when replying :D

I agree that they have two good young goaltenders. I think their backup Budaj is good enough to start somewhere which may make it tough for Colorado to hold on to him.

That was the other goalie I was thinking about.

First, if Jordie is actually gone then good luck to him. Second, with the titles, I thought we were counting NCAA TITLES, not ones before that. can you really count titles that happened before the NCAA existed as NCAA titles? that is all I have to say.

The Gophers have a national title banner from 1940 hanging in Mariucci and I'm glad it's there. Just because it was pre-ncaa doesn't mean it's not something to look back on with a lot of pride. Nobody counts it as an NCAA title and nobody should, but it still is a national championship and that can't be argued.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that the titles are 7-6 or even 7-7 if you count the gophers earlier title around 1920. I'm just saying that it is frustrating as a Gopher fan to know that Michigan won it in 1948 and it counts but Minnesota wins it in 1940 and it doesn't count.

The Gophers have a national title banner from 1940 hanging in Mariucci and I'm gald it's there.

I am galled by it as well.

Concerning J-Par: If TRIOUXPER says he's gone, I'll take that to the bank. Best of luck at the next level and thanks for the memories.

Concerning J-Par: If TRIOUXPER says he's gone, I'll take that to the bank. Best of luck at the next level and thanks for the memories.

Ok, that funny, didn't someone say that the pros can't sign free-agents until the 15th of june or is it july.

So I guess we are going to have to pontificate until then. I would bet someone that he Jordy will be back in the fall. If not we are going to be in trouble with Walski and Phil. Unless we are to believe that we are really actually getting a goalie recruit.

You would bet someone that he will be back in the fall? Even with people with plenty of inside information saying he's done(The Triouxper) and that we are getting a goalie recruit(#1 Hak Fan and Rick)? I'm not saying he's for sure gone(I think he is, but you can have your opinion), I just think there's plenty of info to suggest he is absolutely gone.

Oops. I fixed the spelling error. As far as Parise goes yes he's gone. He will definitely get an offer and he'd be crazy to turn it down.

Ok, that funny, didn't someone say that the pros can't sign free-agents until the 15th of june or is it july.

So I guess we are going to have to pontificate until then. I would bet someone that he Jordy will be back in the fall. If not we are going to be in trouble with Walski and Phil. Unless we are to believe that we are really actually getting a goalie recruit.

Honestly, I never expect anyone to believe anything that is posted. As far as JPar and his possible departure are concerned, it is just what "they" say. And we all know about "they".

Goon: I'll bet you $5000 that Jordy is gone.

I have full confidence in phil playing pretty much every night. if jordys gone then it is phils time to shine i believe he will do just that!!!

I think most people here feel the same way, but what scares me is if Phil gets injured or loses his confidence. No disrespect to Walski because I haven't seen him play, but the goalie situation beyond Phil has me very concerned right now. There's no doubt in my mind, though, that the coaching staff has been preparing for this for some time...we'll just have to wait and see!

I think most people here feel the same way, but what scares me is if Phil gets injured or loses his confidence. No disrespect to Walski because I haven't seen him play, but the goalie situation beyond Phil has me very concerned right now. There's no doubt in my mind, though, that the coaching staff has been preparing for this for some time...we'll just have to wait and see!

i also have full confidence in our top notch coaching staff that they have a goalie in the works when jordy signs a contract to be able to play a few games right away and be a solid capable backup to phil...

Don't be so sure that Lammy isn't going to have a fight for the number one job this season. ???

im sure he will have a battle with whomever comes in as they probably will not be chop liver :D

I see Phil as being very similar to Andy Kollar. When Andy was the backup to Karl Goehring, he did a fine job playing only one out of every five or six games. But after Karl graduated and Andy became the #1 guy he struggled badly. I have a bad feeling the same might happen to Phil. I just don't have a lot of confidence in him. I think if Jordan does not return next year we're in for a mediocre season.

I don't. I think we'll be ok with Phil in nets this next year. Phil played some pretty good hockey, but Parise had an outstanding year and outshined Phil down the stretch. We'd love to have the Parise in nets that finished (most) of the year last year, but at the beginning of the year things were pretty close between them, and it seemed both got better. Jordan just grabbed the job and would not let go of it.

Still, if Jordan goes, we need another top flight goalie for a few reasons.

1. In case you are right.

2. In case Phil gets hurt.

3. So we can all sleep a little easier.