SiouxSports.com Forum

Early outs

GBpakrzz

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Buckysieve is spot on.

2. Why are we discussing Chucko? He didn't go to UND.

3. Can't wait for the NHL playoffs to start.

1.) Thanks for re-pointing out the obvious

2.) Because we play them, and what happens to their team in-directly impacts us

3.) Can't wait for you to stop posting here

The Shooter, Charley Walters, reports in this morning's Pioneer Press that Chucko is close to signing with Calgary, and that his signing bonus is $900,000 to play next season in the AHL! Walters says that amount is far more than the bonus given to either Potulney or Irmen.

My opinion only, but this cannot possibly be true, at least as to the amount of the bonus. Such details are usually kept fairly tightly under wraps, are they not? Good luck to Chucko. From where I sat, he was certainly a failed project in Minneapolis, and cannot help but do better at the next level. The Don is too smart to let Chucko's failings, and reported likely early departure, keep him from going after future solid talent north of the border.

The Shooter, Charley Walters, reports in this morning's Pioneer Press that Chucko is close to signing with Calgary, and that his signing bonus is $900,000 to play next season in the AHL! Walters says that amount is far more than the bonus given to either Potulney or Irmen.

My opinion only, but this cannot possibly be true, at least as to the amount of the bonus. Such details are usually kept fairly tightly under wraps, are they not? Good luck to Chucko. From where I sat, he was certainly a failed project in Minneapolis, and cannot help but do better at the next level. The Don is too smart to let Chucko's failings, and reported likely early departure, keep him from going after future solid talent north of the border.

I didn't know he only had 4 goals last year - must have been a result of too much time in the bar with Frazee.

It's probably completely true. He is a 1st round pick and they usually get close to max everything. Performance doesn't really seem to matter unless you are a late round pick.

I don't know if Sioux fan remember but UND did try to get Chucko to play for the Sioux.

I don't know if I would call him a failure either, players are always just rated on the number of points they scored, Chucko is a hard nosed player.

Not to rip the Gophers but maybe Chucko would have been better off here on smaller ice and not as much of a wide open game that the Gophers play. He was a very physical player for Salmon Arm it just didn't carry over to the college game. Probably not his style and that's maybe why Calgary signed him early.

Buckysieve posted that Calgary tried to sign Chucko in the middle of this season. I've heard that from another direction as well, so assume there is something to that.

Now the question is, how often do pro teams try and sign a player IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YEAR and why do you suppose they felt they needed to?

I don't know if Sioux fan remember but UND did try to get Chucko to play for the Sioux.

I don't know if I would call him a failure either, players are always just rated on the number of points they scored, Chucko is a hard nosed player.

Yes, the Sioux did recruit Chucko.....I am pretty sure he came here on a visit. Not really a big loss for the Goofies. He was invisible most of the year last year. Maybe getting away from Blarney's will do him some good.

Yes, the Sioux did recruit Chucko.....I am pretty sure he came here on a visit. Not really a big loss for the Goofies. He was invisible most of the year last year. Maybe getting away from Blarney's will do him some good.

You are right.....he would have fit into the Sioux line up nicely.

Scoring wasn't the real reason he was on the team............he was one on the few players on the team who really seemed to enjoy getting his nose dirty. When he was working hard on the boards, and hitting a lot, he was a very effective player (and something we need more of).

I think his injuries were a bit more signifigant then we knew, which did make him nearly invisible the latter part of the season.

Still, signing for the reported amount of money does seem a bit out of whack.

You are right.....he would have fit into the Sioux line up nicely.

Scoring wasn't the real reason he was on the team............he was one on the few players on the team who really seemed to enjoy getting his nose dirty. When he was working hard on the boards, and hitting a lot, he was a very effective player (and something we need more of).

I think his injuries were a bit more signifigant then we knew, which did make him nearly invisible the latter part of the season.

Still, signing for the reported amount of money does seem a bit out of whack.

Yeah, I can't believe he would get a 900,000 doaar bonus. That does not make sense to me. I think Calgary took him way too high. We shall see.

Buckysieve posted that Calgary tried to sign Chucko in the middle of this season. I've heard that from another direction as well, so assume there is something to that.

Now the question is, how often do pro teams try and sign a player IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YEAR and why do you suppose they felt they needed to?

It rarely happens. But Chucko was a 1st round draft choice, and now, after two years of development with the Gophers, he'd probably be a mid to late round draft pick today.

Calgary has been very unhappy with his development. They were putting pressure on him to leave after the first semester. NHL teams can't afford to have their first round draft pick fall off the radar screen like Chucko has the last two years.

If you remember, tDon won the big recruiting battle (roll eyes here) over Michigan State with Peter Kennedy, and then it came down to UND and Minnesota for Chucko. After Chucko had his recruiting visit to Minnesota and was taken to Blarney's, he decided that was the place for him. After a special trip out to BC, he couldn't even look the coaches in the eye and let them know that he wasn't coming to UND. He waited for them to get back on the plane and then called the hockey office so he could leave it on a voicemail.

It's the best recruiting battles that Michigan State and North Dakota have ever lost. :silly:

It will be interesting to see who drafts Erik Johnson, and if they'll allow him to "develop" with tDon? :glare:

It will be interesting to see who drafts Erik Johnson, and if they'll allow him to "develop" with tDon? :silly:

I'm sure tDon has lost his skills. P. Martin, Leo, and Ballard all were lucky to make the show due to the inferior coaching they suffered through. Goligoski will be lucky to ever see an AHL contract.

You clearly have a ton of insight to the Sioux (and hockey) and yet you consistantly present it with more arrogance than any Gopher fan I've met in the last 20 years. Congrats.

The Gophers will miss Chucko. Teams like UND are going to try to destroy the Gophers physically next year with little worries about getting hit back.

I'm sure tDon has lost his skills. P. Martin, Leo, and Ballard all were lucky to make the show due to the inferior coaching they suffered through. Goligoski will be lucky to ever see an AHL contract.

You clearly have a ton of insight to the Sioux (and hockey) and yet you consistantly present it with more arrogance than any Gopher fan I've met in the last 20 years. Congrats.

The Gophers will miss Chucko. Teams like UND are going to try to destroy the Gophers physically next year with little worries about getting hit back.

He may not have much for points this last year, but his physical play will be missed. He was one of the few Gophers with some grit and toughness, able to mix it up a bit. Without him, the Gopher fluff meter goes up a bit.

What do you mean "try to" ? :silly:

'97-'01 Just skated around us.

'02 - UND didn't really try to hammer the Gophers physically.

'03 - UND didn't really try to hammer them.

'04 - UND certainly tried, but the Gophers were able to hit back later in the season.

'05 - UND punished them physically with no reprisal.

'06 - UND didn't really try to hammer them. This had to have been the least physical four games the Gophers and UND have ever played in a season. Had the Gophers not ducked the Quarter game I suspect that would have been a hit filled game.

He may not have much for points this last year, but his physical play will be missed. He was one of the few Gophers with some grit and toughness, able to mix it up a bit. Without him, the Gopher fluff meter goes up a bit.

You are correct.....some of thie n coming's have some size to them, and are supposedly physical players, so hopefully this will help a little bit.

With out the Gophers being a little (or actually a lot) tougher next year, it will be difficult for them compete with the UND's and UW of the world next year.

'97-'01 Just skated around us.

'02 - UND didn't really try to hammer the Gophers physically.

'03 - UND didn't really try to hammer them.

'04 - UND certainly tried, but the Gophers were able to hit back later in the season.

'05 - UND punished them physically with no reprisal.

'06 - UND didn't really try to hammer them. This had to have been the least physical four games the Gophers and UND have ever played in a season. Had the Gophers not ducked the Quarter game I suspect that would have been a hit filled game.

'02 Both of Woogers "hits of the game" (at the John) were given to David Hale

'03 again both of Woogers "hits of the game" (at the John) were given to David Hale