SiouxSports.com Forum

Craig Bohl's comments on NDSU's popularity

tnt

Did any of you catch the Fox news last night. According to Scott Heimle, Craig Bohl said that in a year or two NDSU football will surpass the popularity of UND hockey. It would even trump a Frozen Four appearance, according to Bohl. Heime then said, "sorry hockey fans, but he is right". I don't know of a single UND football fan that will become a bison fan. On the other hand, have either of them seen the North migration of fans from Fargo to Grand Forks every Friday and Saturday during hockey season? Come to us again with this statement when Wisconsin and Minnesota consider NDSU their biggest rival. I think the timing of the statement might lead one to believe there is a bit of jealousy on Bohl's part. He used to be on the national map with Nebraska, now he is fighting for media attention.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nothing but wishful thinking. I know some hardcore Bison fans that are also huge Sioux Hockey fans, and always will be. Mr. Bohl needs to come to terms with this. Maybe when they have 7 D-1 titles he will have a leg to stand on, but not at the moment..........................

:ohmy: This is almost comical. Does anyone care about D1-AA football any more than those lovable folks at NDSU?

I suppose they do down in Waterlow Iowa, or some god awful place south of here.

In my opinion Division 1 AA football is nothing more than an over glorified Division two

league.

I was on the receiving end of a "research" telephone call the other night that originated from a Universty extension. All kinds of questions eliciting my feelings about UND's possible move to D-I. I'd say, based on the phrasing of the questions, that the Sioux are very, very serious about making the jump.

I was on the receiving end of a "research" telephone call the other night that originated from a Universty extension. All kinds of questions eliciting my feelings about UND's possible move to D-I. I'd say, based on the phrasing of the questions, that the Sioux are very, very serious about making the jump.

Well that is fine, it will be another sport(s) that UND is better than NDSU.

Lex Luther doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. I support Bison football to a small degree, but this guy is a tool. The guy is from Nebraska or Kansas, so he doesn't know a thing about hockey or its popularity in the area.

I will say congrats to NDSU for getting on the Gophers schedule. It is a big step in the program. No AA football team is as popular as Sioux hockey.

lex.jpg

craigbohl.jpg

This all stems from NDSU's agreement to play UofM in football next year. So let's ask this question? Is U of M football more popular than U of M Hockey? I think not. When was the last time U of M football was ranked #1 in the nation? There are many years they aren't #1 in the state.

So Bohl is biased toward football and that should be expected. But his program will not bring home the bacon at 1-AA and will never, ever surpass the popularity of Div 1 hockey at UND or anywhere else...

You have to admit beating the Gophs consistantly has made UND extremely popular. Why wouldn't the same be true for NDSU football?

You certainly don't have a very high opinion of your football program if you're conceding victory to NDSU this early...In four or five years???

So let's ask this question? Is U of M football more popular than U of M Hockey? I think not. When was the last time U of M football was ranked #1 in the nation? There are many years they aren't #1 in the state.

I'd say there's no question Minnesota's football team is more popular than it's hockey. I didn't have much to say about the recent basketball vs hockey debate because both have similarly sized fan bases in Minnesota, but football blows both out of the water.

Big Ten football is the biggest sport at every Big Ten school, nothing else comes close. Even the traditionally subpar Gophers draw about 50,000 a game. That a bad football team can so outdraw good hockey and basketball teams is further evidence of how football is in an entirely different league, IMHO.

If NDSU thinks that by playing the U of Minnesota, the Bison are somehow a 'big-time' program, they have another thing coming. The only home games each year sold out at the Metrodome are the Wisconsin and Iowa games...and that's because 2/3 of the crowd is wearing either crimson and white or black and yellow.

Put Notre Dame, USC, Texas, Michigan, Miami, LSU, or Georgia on the schedule, NDSU, and maybe I'll reconsider my assessment.

You have to admit beating the Gophs consistantly has made UND extremely popular. Why wouldn't the same be true for NDSU football?

This is true, but I think consistently competing to be the best team in the country has a lot to do with it too. Let's face it, NDSU will never be the best in the country at anything. I think the popularity of NDSU basketball would compete if they made the big dance but it would fade unless they could do it on a consistent basis. I can imagine the coverage of a March Madness birth would be bigger than anything we have seen in North Dakota, only because it is something that has never happened here, and that tournament is such a big thing across the country. You've seen the coverage of Wichita State, etc. I imagine the national coverage would be a big thing if NDSU made the big dance, but taking it from a novelty to a consistent happening like Sioux hockey is another thing.

According to Scott Heimle, Craig Bohl said that in a year or two NDSU football will surpass the popularity of UND hockey.

He may be right...only time will tell. However...I think everyone is missing the underlying point.

Coach Bohl is basically admitting that NDSU football is not as popular as UND hockey. :ohmy:

Did any of you catch the Fox news last night. According to Scott Heimle, Craig Bohl said that in a year or two NDSU football will surpass the popularity of UND hockey. It would even trump a Frozen Four appearance, according to Bohl. Heime then said, "sorry hockey fans, but he is right". I don't know of a single UND football fan that will become a bison fan. On the other hand, have either of them seen the North migration of fans from Fargo to Grand Forks every Friday and Saturday during hockey season? Come to us again with this statement when Wisconsin and Minnesota consider NDSU their biggest rival. I think the timing of the statement might lead one to believe there is a bit of jealousy on Bohl's part. He used to be on the national map with Nebraska, now he is fighting for media attention.

Who's Craig Bowl?

There is lot of folks here in Fargo(Bison fans) that would love to see the Sioux get beat by Michigan tomorrow night... I'm pretty sure Mr. Clean(Bohl) would be one of those...he has to be a little jealous of the success of the Sioux hockey program. I'm a channel surfer when it comes to local sports here in Fargo... most every sports show(except WDAY)starts with something on the Sioux...that has to just piss Mr. Clean off...thus the comments he made last night. There is also a lot of us Sioux fans here(Fargo) that would love the Sioux to win the next 4 games this season and get that 8th National Championship in D1.