SiouxSports.com Forum

Craig Bohl's comments on NDSU's popularity

tnt

All some of you want to talk about is NDSU vs. UND......

This doesn't make sense to me......who cares if Coach Bohl (a good guy) projects that his team will be more popular than Sioux Hockey......it is just his opinion and that is how he should feel....to me that is a compliment to Sioux Hockey that another coach would even reference their popularity....

I would hope he feels that way......otherwise I would rather go find a coach that does.

Maybe I should leave my 7 year old at home on Friday and invite Craig to join me at the Ralph.....would you all boo him or respect him for checking out what Sioux Hockey is all about?

Lets not distract from SIOUX HOCKEY this week.......if you want to debate Bison vs. Sioux wait till football season......

GO SIOUX HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!

Many of us just think it is a stupid thing to say, I don't remember seeing attendance numbers that indicated that NDSU was really bringing them in and filling up the Fargo dome to see Division one football the way that UND hockey is. Its an over the top statement.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I read here that Bysin D1aa football attracts 14,160/game. The Big Ten average for basketball is 12,603. Bysin D1aa football is more popular than University of Michigan basketall (11,023), UConn basketball (13,543), Gopher basketball (11K+).....You can't argue with the facts. It's only a matter of time before Sioux fans realize this.

We're comparing apples to oranges. Seriously, comparing Bison football to Michigan basketball? :) You can't base things on attendance alone considering the differences in stadium size. Do you realize that the student body of the U of North Dakota is bigger than Notre Dame? Does that mean UND should make a D-1 jump and play the Fighting Irish next week? C'mon.

I think the fact of the matter is, that if you polled people specifically about what sport, pro or college, that brings the state of North Dakota the most attention OUTSIDE the state, most people would not respond with "Bison football," but would say "Fighting Sioux hockey."

We're comparing apples to oranges. Seriously, comparing Bison football to Michigan basketball? :) You can't base things on attendance alone considering the differences in stadium size. Do you realize that the student body of the U of North Dakota is bigger than Notre Dame? Does that mean UND should make a D-1 jump and play the Fighting Irish next week? C'mon.

I think the fact of the matter is, that if you polled people specifically about what sport, pro or college, that brings the state of North Dakota the most attention OUTSIDE the state, most people would not respond with "Bison football," but would say "Fighting Sioux hockey."

Hey, don't forget Dickinson State Volleyball in that poll!

Not to hijack this thread in honor of Minnesota football, but I really don't think facilities have anything to do with winning football games. Sure, they will help in certain respects, but if the coaches don't know a football player from a fat guy wearing a jersey and spandex, it doesn't matter where you play.

The problem with Minnesota's football team isn't just the Metrodome. It is a sty, that much is true. I do know that a good facility affects recruiting, and I'll give you that. But when is Minnesota going to invest in coaching? Mason is an idiot and the Minnesota AD is even more so for not seeing it. Sure, the Minnesota AD is nowhere near as idiotic as the Timberwolves or Wild ownership (I mean, McHale's a GREAT GM. In fact, if he did any more for the Timberwolves, he'd probably have something to add to his resume other than "sat in the front office desk for X years playing God with a worthless basketball franchise." Risebrough's system had him turn away scoring talent (Modano) because he doesn't "fit the system." No, with the Wild's dedication, it's plain to see winning isn't part of the system either.) because even Mason has made it to a Bowl game the last few years (heh, but then again, bowl games are like DIA basketball. With the NCAA and the NIT to choose from, you damn near have to go winless in order to NOT make the postseason) and he does get an occasionally good recruit.

Sorry, but if the Gophers get a new stadium, the Gophers football team isn't going to turn into the Wolverines or the Fighting Irish overnight. They're going to have to make some serious adjustments, and the first adjustment will be to pack Mason's bags. It's amazing to read that Minnesota's football program is the most popular hands down (which I'm not disputing) but you'll have to go to the third most popular program at the U in order to find a program that actually is successful (Men's hockey).

Couple of things I disagree with here. You try recruiting a kid to come to the HumptyDome vs playing in The Big House, Camp Randall, The Swamp, or Between the Hedges. It's no comparison. Minnesota's quality kids are going elsewhere. Wisconsin turned itself from a doormat into a contender within a few years of Barry Alvarez arriving on the scene. Hell, Northwestern went to the Rose Bowl within recent memory. If it can be done there, it's not impossible in Minneapolis.

Secondly, Kevin McHale a quality GM? He's been with the Timberwolves for how long and has exactly two playoff series wins to show for it. Period. Don't give me the bull about how competitive the Western Conference is either. If it wasn't for a miraculous shot by Robert Horry last spring, the Pistons would be the two-time defending champs. Kevin's made his bed with Kevin Garnett...who will wind up like Charles Barkley or Karl Malone.

Another note about the Wild...of course they aren't interested in signing big-name players. Why should they? They pack the house at the X every home game. When fans stop showing up, the Wild will be forced to actually put a team on the ice that wins. When there is a waiting list for season tickets and the money is rolling in, why be the New York Knicks when you can keep a cheap payroll and the fans will still come?

psst..... think you missed the sarcasm in Rick's post.

Many of us just think it is a stupid thing to say, I don't remember seeing attendance numbers that indicated that NDSU was really bringing them in and filling up the Fargo dome to see Division one football the way that UND hockey is. Its an over the top statement.

I don't think it was stupid at all, NDSU football is the sport for Bison fans and it has been one of the most successful athletic programs this state has ever had. You guys are acting like it is in insult that I even called the two equals but really it isn't to far from the truth. Both teams play in fantastic facilities that are at the top of their respective sports, both programs have had tons of success, and both teams have tons of supporters. NDSU can't even make the playoffs and the school is 8th in attendance, attendance has actually gone up over the past two seasons. Both NDSU and UND are the state flagships schools and I don't see how it is stupid at all to think the main sport at each school are equally as popular, especially considering the have both been about equally as successful. I don't really agree with Bohl on his thinking that NDSU will become more popular because most of ND sports fan are pretty much on one side of the fence and perhaps the only thing that could push NDSU over the top is if they went IA in football but that is at least 10 to 15 years away. Maybe even longer since IAA is likely going to be renamed PCS(alternate to BCS) and the division should get some increased exposure with the name change.

NDSU has a much better basketball coach than they do football coach.

Are you talking about coaching ability or the words that come out of their mouths? Because when I saw this on the Bison Media Blog, I really had to wonder what the NDSU coaches are smoking. :)

Favorite Quote

"I apologize if I offend anybody but that win was like the JFK assasination. Aunts calling people. They know where they were when it came across the ticker." -- Tim Miles on the PA and Dubay show on the Wisconsin win.

Are you talking about coaching ability or the words that come out of their mouths? Because when I saw this on the Bison Media Blog, I really had to wonder what the NDSU coaches are smoking. :)

I agree that is a questionable statement at best. I am a Miles fan from his Mayville days, as I got to know him personally there. He is a class act, very humble, and a very knowledgable coach. Bohl may be a knowledgable coach (perhaps remains to be seen) but he comes off as very arrogant, elitest, and according to Ed Shultz, "bush-league". On the other hand, Ed Shultz is himself an invertabrate, and has no spine, so take that with a grain of salt I guess. :)

WOW!

I was watching Duke/LSU tonite and when that final buzzer sounded, I thought to myself, "much like the space shuttle Challenger disaster, Reagan being shot, and 9/11/01, I'll always remember where I was when I saw that score."

Nice comment, Tim.

Bohl may be a knowledgable coach (perhaps remains to be seen) but he comes off as very arrogant, elitest, and according to Ed Shultz, "bush-league".

Well, according to Ed, so is Dean Blais. :):)

On the other hand, Ed Shultz is himself an invertabrate, and has no spine, so take that with a grain of salt I guess. :)

:)

I agree that is a questionable statement at best. I am a Miles fan from his Mayville days, as I got to know him personally there. He is a class act, very humble, and a very knowledgable coach. Bohl may be a knowledgable coach (perhaps remains to be seen) but he comes off as very arrogant, elitest, and according to Ed Shultz, "bush-league". On the other hand, Ed Shultz is himself an invertabrate, and has no spine, so take that with a grain of salt I guess. :)

I agree when I read that I thought it was a weird thing to say but this was a very memorable win in NDSU history, especially for a coach like Miles to have. I don't really know why Bohl is seen as a bad coach here, the guy is solid and has done a great job at coaching NDSU over the past few years. He's turned NDSU into one of the best defensive teams in IAA football and has lead NDSU on to some impressive victories. Bohl has worked with some of best minds that football has ever had and from what I have seen I don't know how you could say isn't knowledgable about the game.

I agree when I read that I thought it was a weird thing to say but this was a very memorable win in NDSU history, especially for a coach like Miles to have. I don't really know why Bohl is seen as a bad coach here, the guy is solid and has done a great job at coaching NDSU over the past few years. He's turned NDSU into one of the best defensive teams in IAA football and has lead NDSU on to some impressive victories. Bohl has worked with some of best minds that football has ever had and from what I have seen I don't know how you could say isn't knowledgable about the game.

I never said he isn't knowledgable. In fact I said he may be knowledgable.

When you speak of Bohl leading the bison to some great wins over the past few years other than the Montana game what wins are you actually speaking of. If you're talking about his wins over sdsu, UC-Davis, and Northern Colorado then I guess I don't understand what the big deal is and how beating these teams is suddenly greater at the I-AA level than at the division 2 level. Other than the Montana game when has he ever won a big game or a game the bison weren't favored to win. He always loses to Cal Poly, he couldn't beat the Sioux in the final rivalry game even though his team was heavily favored, his team lost in St. Cloud to miss the playoffs in the last season they were eligible to be in the playoffs, and he lost to Montana State. All of his big wins are against former D-2's and mediocre to bottom feeder I-AA's. I'm sorry but I don't see what the big fuss is about.

But isn't the Bison football team discussed on every message board from Hofstra to Cal Poly to James Madison to Stephen F. Austin? :)

I know it's only March 24......, but I am pretty sure this will hold up as the post of the year!!!! Unfortunately I was just on the Stephen F. Austin board and they think NDSU is the Thundering Sioux???

I don't think it was stupid at all, NDSU football is the sport for Bison fans and it has been one of the most successful athletic programs this state has ever had. You guys are acting like it is in insult that I even called the two equals but really it isn't to far from the truth. Both teams play in fantastic facilities that are at the top of their respective sports, both programs have had tons of success, and both teams have tons of supporters. NDSU can't even make the playoffs and the school is 8th in attendance, attendance has actually gone up over the past two seasons. Both NDSU and UND are the state flagships schools and I don't see how it is stupid at all to think the main sport at each school are equally as popular, especially considering the have both been about equally as successful. I don't really agree with Bohl on his thinking that NDSU will become more popular because most of ND sports fan are pretty much on one side of the fence and perhaps the only thing that could push NDSU over the top is if they went IA in football but that is at least 10 to 15 years away. Maybe even longer since IAA is likely going to be renamed PCS(alternate to BCS) and the division should get some increased exposure with the name change.

The more you post, the more foolish you appear. You incessantly want to talk about Bison football on a Sioux hockey message board because of your obsession with the big brother being more successful. I never have and never will visit a Bison football message board. Why? Because I really, sincerely do not care about Bison football nor the high school with ashtrays known as NDSU-- probably less than I care about George Mason basketball (at least they are in the big dance and have national exposure). You, however, spend a lot of time here trying to convince us that the sky is green and gold. PLEASE go away.

I've got several examples between family and friends of NDSU fans who root for the Sioux hockey team. My brother and I had countless UND-NDSU arguments (fights) growing up. He'd rip UND any chance he could get. Well, it's funny how the times have changed. He now lives in Sioux Falls and has been to several hockey games recently. Interestingly, I believe he's made the longer drive to see UND hockey more than he's come up to see the football team. I've also got a friend who owns several pieces of UND apparel. He's too ashamed to wear it in Fargo, but when I think about it, I never see this Bison fan wearing any NDSU stuff around town.

On another topic, why does everyone refer to NDSU's colors as green and gold when those aren't the official colors? The official colors taken directly from gobison.com are "Yellow (PMS 123) and Green (PMS 343)". NDSU even refers to their spring football game as the green and gold game. And if any Bison fan thinks it's green and gold because of all the football titles they've won, wouldn't the colors actually be green and dusty?