SiouxSports.com Forum

Zajac soon a Devil?

PCM

This article in today's NY Post says that Travis Zajac might be gone as soon as UND's season ends.

Meanwhile, the Devils have hit the skids. Losers of four of five by a combined 19-7 margin, the Devils clearly need help up front, with few possibilities now that the trade deadline has passed.

If not Alexander Mogilny, on the farm in Albany, their other option is 2004 first-rounder Travis Zajac, who may become available as soon as tomorrow night. The 6-foot-2, 205-pound righty center is regarded as a strong two-way sniper.

The Devils can't go after their leading prospect until his University of North Dakota team is finished with the NCAA Tournament and he decides to turn pro. North Dakota takes on Michigan tonight in the first round of the West Regional. Then there's the region final, and should they advance, Zajac wouldn't be available until after the Frozen Four, April 8.

Devil GM/coach Lou Lamoriello is believed ready to sign up Zajac, 20, if he opts to leave college after his second season. While he usually seasons his rookies on the farm, Lamoriello might have to see what Zajac could do for his team so in need of exactly his sort of size, skill and positional help.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be a long off-season if Zajac goes. Add him to the already likely Smaby defection. And I think out of Oshie, Towes, Stafford, at least one of them will go early.

This new CBA is going to just be horrible for college hockey. It was bad enough before but I think we are going to see guys leave even earlier than in the past. Zajac is a good player, not a superstar at the college level. In the past only the very top notch players have left after two years (ex: Vanek and Parise). Those players were dominant at the college level when they left. Zajac is far from being a dominant college player, he is a good college player at this point. Look how Zach has really struggled at the NHL level. He has the second worst +/- on the Devils and he is a player who was considered a great two way player in college. Hopefully this is just a bunch of crap.

Hopefully he sticks around for another year. IMO he could really develop into one of, if not the, best college hockey player during his junior season. He certainly has the ability to do so.

I would imagine that playing with your brother is an appealing option, but then again, so is money and the chance to play in the NHL this season.

We'll see what happens during the course of the next few weeks. But I really hope that we don't lose Smaby, Stafford, and Zajac this off-season. That is 3 quality players to replace.

Travis likely has a lot of negotiating leverage with his brother coming in next year. If NJ really wants him, Travis is smart to talk like he's looking to stick around and force NJ to keep upping the ante until they get to the magic number.

While Travis might really want to stick around next year, I'll believe it for sure when I see it. What he says about it could just as easily be posturing as geniune preference.

Hopefully he sticks around for another year. IMO he could really develop into one of, if not the, best college hockey player during his junior season. He certainly has the ability to do so.

I would imagine that playing with your brother is an appealing option, but then again, so is money and the chance to play in the NHL this season.

We'll see what happens during the course of the next few weeks. But I really hope that we don't lose Smaby, Stafford, and Zajac this off-season. That is 3 quality players to replace.

Smaby will no doubt leave, Stafford I would put at a high probability. This is bad news regarding Zajac. Usually these types of reports unfortunately often have a lot of merit to them. Anyway back to the matter at hand, this will sort itself out after the season.

Travis likely has a lot of negotiating leverage with his brother coming in next year. If NJ really wants him, Travis is smart to talk like he's looking to stick around and force NJ to keep upping the ante until they get to the magic number.

While Travis might really want to stick around next year, I'll believe it for sure when I see it. What he says about it could just as easily be posturing as geniune preference.

I don't think the Devils' have a lot of room to play around with, with the salary cap. Getting rid of Mogilny definitely helped reduce that, and freed up some $$$, but I'm sure they'll still be thinking about that when completing any deals.

Although Zajac has quietly had a decent season, I don't think he's ready to make an impact in that lineup next year. Does anyone think he'd surpass ZPar's 22 points in the same amount of games? He's not dominating the college seen like Potulny is this year but next year could be different.

I hope the desire to play with his little brother for one year wins out but the Devils are really short on depth. :ohmy:

I guess this is what the Fighting Sioux get every year by recruiting top of the line forwards, the New York Post isn't really a credible paper as some, but it could be true. What ever. I hope he wants to play with his brother too.

Although Zajac has quietly had a decent season, I don't think he's ready to make an impact in that lineup next year. Does anyone think he'd surpass ZPar's 22 points in the same amount of games? He's not dominating the college seen like Potulny is this year but next year could be different.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Where Travis hasn't had the outstanding season statistically, he continues to be a sound player, showing great defensive effort all the time. I guess the one thing I don't want is for the Devils to put him in a position to fail, simply because they need help. The development of young players is critical, and making a move too early can decide there career.

In defense of Zach from a previous post, he definitely hasn't played bad this year. Yes, he has a low +/-, but the importance of that statistic has been debated this past year on this board. During Larry Robinson's tenure as coach, Zach was shifted around on different lines about once a week. He's now playing on a set line, and it shows. No, he's still not getting points regularly, but it's not because of effort. He continues to be a player that you notice every shift, because of his hard work. Plain and simple, the Devils in general are not a great team this year, and that's affecting everyone's confidence level on the ice.

he may not be ready for the nhl but the thought is that many of these players will develop even faster if they get into the ahl system. this doesn't suprise me at all but its the way it goes. i say we lose smaby for sure and stafford and zajac are strong possibilities.does it suck?? yes, but that means we get some damn good players and this is the new age with the new nhl agreement. lets let it play out and see what happens.

Ok, I don't want to sound argumentive but where has it been said that Smaby is going to go for sure this season? I am not so sure about this one. Tampa's coach could get fired if they don't make the playoffs so I am not so sure he will be gone. All I am saying is lets not rush Smaby out of here. Granted he might go, but I am saying my prayers and crossing my fingers.

Ok, I don't want to sound argumentive but where has it been said that Smaby is going to go for sure this season? I am not so sure about this one. Tampa's coach could get fired if they don't make the playoffs so I am not so sure he will be gone. All I am saying is lets not rush Smaby out of here. Granted he might go, but I am saying my prayers and crossing my fingers.

tampa wanted him bad after last year. it doesn't really have as much to do with the coach as with the front office wanting to get him in their system.

Interesting article. That would be a big loss if Zajac, Stafford, and Smaby all left. What does your incoming freshman class look like? Is there a thread I can check out?

It's not nearly as good as the almighty Gophers incoming class is. I wouldn't worry about the Sioux next year if I were the Gophers. They will be worse than ever, trust me :ohmy:.

Interesting article. That would be a big loss if Zajac, Stafford, and Smaby all left. What does your incoming freshman class look like? Is there a thread I can check out?

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4765

key forwards coming in vande velde and michael forney. jake marto at defense. for some reason i cant think right now but this thread may help out. hopefully lapoint!!! when smaby leaves. that would be HUGE....

our class was so damn big this year that this will be way smaller but hopefully all quality!

either way i am not worried at all as all top notch talent will leave early regardless of what school the prospect is playing for.

The debbies are in big, big trouble if they have to rely on a kid who has never played one minute of professional hockey to bolster their offense. 4 goals in their last 4 games, right? Does anybody honestly believe Lamiorello is going to throw a rookie into the fire like this? When ZP signed with them two years ago he went straight to Albany. If TZ signs this spring it is likely the same thing will happen to him.

Unlike teams of years past, with players leaving early and the high level of NHL talent on the Sioux teams in the past few years it is becoming a one year window to win a title. If I was a coach all this speculation in the early departure process and trying to find "what if" replacements would be enough to drive a coach nuts. It definitely makes the recruiting process a lot more complex.

Does anybody honestly believe Lamiorello is going to throw a rookie into the fire like this? When ZP signed with them two years ago he went straight to Albany. If TZ signs this spring it is likely the same thing will happen to him.

Best analysis I've seen on this yet.