Zajac soon a Devil?

PCM

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

big difference is that there wasnt an nhl the year after zach signed. new jersey had to send him to the ahl.

I believe the playoffs were going on the year he signed. Not sure if he was a healthy scratch on the roster or what the deal was. I know there was a lot of speculation as to if he would play though. Then he went down for the year after that. Though I would agree I would be surprised if Zajac went right to the team.

I believe the playoffs were going on the year he signed. Not sure if he was a healthy scratch on the roster or what the deal was. I know there was a lot of speculation as to if he would play though. Then he went down for the year after that. Though I would agree I would be surprised if Zajac went right to the team.

Zach joined the Devil's organization with two games remaining in the regular season. He was hoping to play immediately, but that didn't happen. I recall hearing that he wasn't happy that he gave up his college eligibility to go to the AHL. With that being said, we're talking about 2 different teams here. When Zach joined the Devils organization, the Devils were strong contenders for the cup. This year's team is struggling to make the playoffs. They've lost 4 of their last 5 games, and are sinking rapidly, and little offense is being produced by anyone on the team. This really is a pointless argument. If Travis goes, it will be a loss for the Sioux, but if he goes, I wish him the same success I wish for every other Sioux player to join the pro ranks.

Zach joined the Devil's organization with two games remaining in the regular season. He was hoping to play immediately, but that didn't happen. I recall hearing that he wasn't happy that he gave up his college eligibility to go to the AHL. With that being said, we're talking about 2 different teams here. When Zach joined the Devils organization, the Devils were strong contenders for the cup. This year's team is struggling to make the playoffs. They've lost 4 of their last 5 games, and are sinking rapidly, and little offense is being produced by anyone on the team. This really is a pointless argument. If Travis goes, it will be a loss for the Sioux, but if he goes, I wish him the same success I wish for every other Sioux player to join the pro ranks.

Big difference? Frankly, I find the two situations to be quite similar. Two years ago at this time of the season the debbies were struggling for offense as the playoffs approached. Also, I do not believe they were considered much of a contender for the Cup. The Flyers disposed of them in rather quick fashion by defeating them 4 games to 1. ZP signed with the debs with 2 games remaining. He practiced with the big club once or twice and then finished the season with the Rats.

One difference this time around is that the debbies are in a fight for a playoff spot and could easily miss the playoffs unless they start racking up some points. You have to approach it from Lamiorello's point of view. It is simply unrealistic to expect a kid to jump from the college ranks into a situation where the team needs offense and is struggling to maintain a playoff spot. It is unfair to the player to throw him into that situation. I don't see Lamiorello doing it. Kid's gotta adjust to the NHL game, learn and new system and try to establish chemistry with his linemates all within a matter of days.........it just seems very unlikely and Lou has always seemed like a rather conservative guy.

If Lou wanted offense he could have tried to obtain some prior to the trade deadline. Instead, he picked up a defenseman, right? To me, the time to bring up a kid and see what he can do is at the beginning of the season or after your team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Interesting article. That would be a big loss if Zajac, Stafford, and Smaby all left. What does your incoming freshman class look like? Is there a thread I can check out?

It's not nearly as good as the almighty Gophers incoming class is. I wouldn't worry about the Sioux next year if I were the Gophers. They will be worse than ever, trust me :ohmy:.

Sorry. Did not see an previous threads about the recruiting class. The link below details who has signed, when, where, stats, etc.. It is note very in depth but it gives a good idea about a teams direction. Hope it helps. As far as TZ leaving I am firmly in the camp that he stays another year for all the reasons already listed.

1. His brother is coming to UND

2. Zach signed early and struggled (even this year until he was consistently on a talented line - remember the benching earlier in the year?)

3. He has not become the star that everyone thought he would be at the College level

Just my two cents

Many of us have watched the Devils aka the debbies play this season, they have played good in stretches, but without going to the AHL and gaining seasoning who is Zajac going to over take in the Devils Line up?

They aren't what I call a crappy team.

Barry Tallackson has played ten games for the Devils this year. I have to assume they are not very deep up front in either New Jersey or Albany, but I don't really follow it closely. As much as I like Barry, Zajac is probably the better player as we speak.

Many of us have watched the Devils aka the debbies play this season, they have played good in stretches, but without going to the AHL and gaining seasoning who is Zajac going to over take in the Devils Line up?

They aren't what I call a crappy team.

I think they're going to replace Cam Jannsen with Zajac! :)

3. He has not become the star that everyone thought he would be at the College level

It is only his first year in the league though. Brian Gionta scored 29 points in his first full season in the NHL, and he had played partial seasons with the Devils the previous two years. I consider Zach to play similar to Gionta, and think that he will develop into a solid NHL player in time.

At least we got several excellent freshmen who should be fantastic four year players...Duncan, Kozak, Jones... SHould be a solid core group to build around even if we lose Stafford, Smaby, and Zajak. I don't have much hope for Smaby and Stafford, but Zajak might BeBak.

It is only his first year in the league though. Brian Gionta scored 29 points in his first full season in the NHL, and he had played partial seasons with the Devils the previous two years. I consider Zach to play similar to Gionta, and think that he will develop into a solid NHL player in time.

I was talking about Zajac not becoming the star at the college level. He is a very good two way player but he is not a star. He is even overshadowed to some extent by Oshie and Toews along with Stafford. I personally think the Sioux would be lost without him as he is gifted playmaker that plays both neds of the ice.

Funny how one little tidbit of information gets a thread spreading like wildfire. That is the nature of fans and message boards though. To engage in SPECULATION. The staff has replacement for Smaby (if the rumors are true Lapoint) and Stafford (Forney). There is no replacement that can rival Zajac. That would be a huge loss if he were to leave. All of a sudden Toews becomes our top line center with not much depth behind him. Maybe we can all send an e-mail to Lamoriello and tell him to leave our players alone.

I was talking about Zajac not becoming the star at the college level. He is a very good two way player but he is not a star. He is even overshadowed to some extent by Oshie and Toews along with Stafford. I personally think the Sioux would be lost without him as he is gifted playmaker that plays both neds of the ice.

Depends what your definition of what a star is? I think the points against MSU-M and the goal against Minnesota seems kind of clutch to me. Also, I think UND has a lot of stars so what we discribe as stars might be our second line forward. We might be splitting hairs here. I personally think Zajac is a star. I am hoping his brother is half as good as he is.

Depends what your definition of what a star is? I think the points against MSU-M and the goal against Minnesota seems kind of clutch to me. Also, I think UND has a lot of stars so what we discribe as stars might be our second line forward. We might be splitting hairs here. I personally think Zajac is a star. I am hoping his brother is half as good as he is.

Absolutely agree with your statement. But we have been discussing him moving onto NJ and comparing him to Parise. I just think that is not a fair comparison and that Zajac is a good player. However, I did think after last years stellar Freshman season that he would bag a few more goals. I'm not complaining becuase he is our best two way player and one of the best faceoff men in college hockey. I have to wonder if he would put up monster numbers if he were paired with the same linemates for a long time (2nd year). I hope we get an opportunity to see him play with Oshie and Spirko next season.

He is not a star on the national scene meaning he is not dominating college hockey the way you would expect for a player that may leave after only his sophmore year. He is however a very valuable player for the Sioux and does a lot of the little things that maybe the average fan would not notice but scouts would. For the sake of the Sioux hockey team which is the only team I care about we really need him back next year. I could care less about the Devils.