SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Michael Forney

DMT

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are familiar with Forney, please let us know a bit about his strengths and what type of player he will be. Thanks in advance

Here's a few quotes from McKeen's Hockey Prospects after this summer's World U18 tournament:

top scoring American with eight points and five goals (overall third in tourney scoring) .. +/- 7 .. started to break out against Russia with flashes of elite skill .. adequate top-end speed .. not a great-looking skater but he gets from point a to point b effectively .. okay agility and turns; has to improve on balance and add strength to his legs .. not a dangler, more compact and efficient than flashy .. excellent shooting skills and good all-around hockey sense .. quick, accurate wrister .. defensively lacking and often absent in his own end .. not soft however and gets involved in traffic .. battles hard for rebounds and doesn't back down from opposing defensemen .. shoots right.

McKeen's currently has Forney ranked in the mid first-round for the 2006 NHL draft. Forney is a great all-around athlete who hasn't completely focused on hockey. He may or may not need a year in the USHL, but if/when the Sioux lose Stafford and/or Zajac to the pros, he would look awfully good.

I guess it doesn't bother the scouts or the real experts who list him so high in the pre-draft rankings. He is young and will need to develop his defensive skills to succeed at whatever level he is playing on.

Sure, but so far, most of our talent has come in being fairly solid on both aspects of the game.

Sure, but so far, most of our talent has come in being fairly solid on both aspects of the game.

I can think of a lot of kids that have come in that might not be solid in both aspects of the game. This kid is good and is only going to get better. When you become a professional scout or start your own pre-draft ranking service, I'll listen to you.

I suggest our coaching staff knows that he will either be so great offensively that he will negate his defensive liabilities, or that they can actually teach him to be a factor in his own end. I'm not going to worry about it.

Sounds like a Gopher recruit. :silly: Nice pick-up for UND.

Hey, you gotta give Redwing credit for consistency, though.

I suggest our coaching staff knows that he will either be so great offensively that he will negate his defensive liabilities, or that they can actually teach him to be a factor in his own end. I'm not going to worry about it.

Hey, you gotta give Redwing credit for consistency, though.

It doesn't "bother" him when a Gopher recruit is defensively lacking, does it? :D

Nice pick-up for UND! Of course I would rather have him as a Gopher as it sounds like both coaching staffs were after him hard. He'll be a good flickertail.

Better a flickertail than a rodent. We may lose our Fighting Sioux name and we may not...but you guys will be rodents forever.lol Thanks for the nice pick-up comment.

Better a flickertail than a rodent. We may lose our Fighting Sioux name and we may not...but you guys will be rodents forever.lol Thanks for the nice pick-up comment.

Doesn't flickertail refer to a ground squirral, which would be a rodent?

This is a nice recruit for ND - although it was also one the Sioux were expected to get IMO. You can't lose a 1st round draft pick that lives an hour away. Both Forney and Marto are interesting picks, both are great athletes that have never focused on hockey (or so it appears). Neither are a sure things (if there ever is such a thing) but both have a huge upside. It will be interesting to watch them develop at UND.

Doesn't flickertail refer to a ground squirral, which would be a rodent?

This is a nice recruit for ND - although it was also one the Sioux were expected to get IMO. You can't lose a 1st round draft pick that lives an hour away. Both Forney and Marto are interesting picks, both are great athletes that have never focused on hockey (or so it appears). Neither are a sure things (if there ever is such a thing) but both have a huge upside. It will be interesting to watch them develop at UND.

While it is true no one is a sure thing, I think someone who has been scouted and is rated as highly as Forney has a pretty good probability of being a good college player. There is a good chance he will go in the first round. I expect him to be an impact player. Marto on the other hand I am fairly skeptical on what type of college player he will be. He definitely needs to do a lot of bulking up to be ready for the WCHA. Hopefully that is happening in the USHL so he is prepared to play at this level next fall.

While it is true no one is a sure thing, I think someone who has been scouted and is rated as highly as Forney has a pretty good probability of being a good college player. There is a good chance he will go in the first round. I expect him to be an impact player. Marto on the other hand I am fairly skeptical on what type of college player he will be. He definitely needs to do a lot of bulking up to be ready for the WCHA. Hopefully that is happening in the USHL so he is prepared to play at this level next fall.

Marto just sounds like a great athlete to me. We need ot get him on that Gopher juice though... :silly:

I also expect that any defensive liabilities WILL be corrected at UND for Forney.