SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Michael Forney

DMT

Marto just sounds like a great athlete to me. We need ot get him on that Gopher juice though... :silly:

I also expect that any defensive liabilities WILL be corrected at UND for Forney.

Heck, his defensive liabilities have already been fixed due to his verbal to UND. Draft position moved up too. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it is true no one is a sure thing, I think someone who has been scouted and is rated as highly as Forney has a pretty good probability of being a good college player. There is a good chance he will go in the first round. I expect him to be an impact player. Marto on the other hand I am fairly skeptical on what type of college player he will be. He definitely needs to do a lot of bulking up to be ready for the WCHA. Hopefully that is happening in the USHL so he is prepared to play at this level next fall.

You could always send him to the TJ Caig and Tyler Brosz school of bulking up...

Draft position moved up too. :D

I just heard from a "source" that the new ISS draft order is going to be:

1. Jonathan Toews

2. Michael Forney

3. Phil Kessel

4. Some dork from Major Juniors

Players on the rise: Eric Gryba. The '88 defenseman has UND on his short list. If he commits, he will move up to 4th overall :silly:

Ok seriously, all that draft position crap is horsepoopoo. But if it happens, I'll take it.

I just mean he's equally critical.

I will agree with critical, I can't go as far as equally though.

So he rips on mn recruits for not being defensive minded and expresses disappointment about his "own" recruits who are said to be lacking defensively. Sounds balanced to me.

I just heard from a "source" that the new ISS draft order is going to be:

1. Jonathan Toews

2. Michael Forney

3. Phil Kessel

4. Some dork from Major Juniors

Players on the rise: Eric Gryba. The '88 defenseman has UND on his short list. If he commits, he will move up to 4th overall :silly:

Ok seriously, all that draft position crap is horsepoopoo. But if it happens, I'll take it.

I actually hope Mr. media goes first overall, that way he is most likely to be one and done. Hopefully the team that picks him will want him to sign immediately.

I actually hope Mr. media goes first overall, that way he is most likely to be one and done. Hopefully the team that picks him will want him to sign immediately.

This was a joke playing at the "He chose UND so he went up 3 rounds in talent" junk. I've read nothing to suggest that Kessel won't go #1.

And thanks dagies et. al. If Forney is defensively lacking as the scouts suggest I don't care how good he is offensively. I'd like him to work on his defensive play VERY VERY hard. If that means working on it in the USHL a year, so be it. If Hak decides to bring him in early, then I'd expect Hak to coach him hard on defensive responsibility and to sit him if he should ever forget about it. Yeah, I'm going to drive Gopher fans nuts when I say this but: Rochester American's head coach noticed early in the season that Vanek was a defensive liability and prone to cherry pick while the rest of his team were playing defense in their own zone. That head coach sat Vanek's butt down for a game or two (or at the very least Vanek didn't get much ice time) and ran him hard in practice. The result? Vanek isn't a 2 way forward, but he's better at it now than he was and it still didn't hurt the results of his season in the AHL (I believe he lead all rookies in either goals). I don't know how Lucia coaches and whether he could have done the same thing for Vanek, but I know historically Blais and Hakstol have never been afraid of sitting a liability. I hope Forney's draft status and hype (what hype there is) don't get in the way of that tendency.

Where's he going to play hockey this year? Coop in Dayton Ohio :silly:

Forney plans to play HS hockey for Thief River Falls this winter. They should be contenders in Minnesota Class A. His USHL rights were recently traded to Des Moines and he played a couple of games over the MEA break. I don't know if he plans to go back after the HS season. If he wants to play for the Sioux next year, it will be essential for him to play some more USHL games.

Great news.........I guess all kids that grow up in Minnesota don't dream of playing for the GOOFERS! (As most fans of the maroon firmly believe) I know Lucia pet was after Forney pretty hard. Good job coaching staff

The Gofers just announced they really weren't recruiting him.... :silly:

Forney plans to play HS hockey for Thief River Falls this winter. They should be contenders in Minnesota Class A. His USHL rights were recently traded to Des Moines and he played a couple of games over the MEA break. I don't know if he plans to go back after the HS season. If he wants to play for the Sioux next year, it will be essential for him to play some more USHL games.

The precise plan is that he is playing football (I think he's TRF's QB) right now. Then, when the hockey season starts up in a few weeks, he'll play for TRF. When the HS hockey season ends, he'll suit up with Des Moines until TRF's graduation date, where he'll return to TRF to graduate with his friends. If there are any other games left, he'll return to Des Moines.

That's what I've heard anyhow.

The Gofers just announced they really weren't recruiting him.... :silly:

I believe that is crap. His HS FB coach said the gophers were recruiting him and it was down to UND or the gophs.

Forney is also a very bright kid. I think he wanted to play for the best program in the country so he selected UND.

I believe that is crap. His HS FB coach said the gophers were recruiting him and it was down to UND or the gophs.

Forney is also a very bright kid. I think he wanted to play for the best program in the country so he selected UND.

Obviously the Goofs were recruiting him hard....that is always their fans excuse when they don't get a player. "well we really didn't go after him that hard anyways, which is a bunch of BS in this case and many others". I am glad the kid saw the light and made the correct decision, he must be a real bright kid!!

:silly:

Obviously the Goofs were recruiting him hard....that is always their fans excuse when they don't get a player. "well we really didn't go after him that hard anyways, which is a bunch of BS in this case and many others". I am glad the kid saw the light and made the correct decision, he must be a real bright kid!!

The Gofers just announced "I told you so when B. Bochenski got sent down to the AHL." ??? Stay tuned....

This was a joke playing at the "He chose UND so he went up 3 rounds in talent" junk. I've read nothing to suggest that Kessel won't go #1.

And thanks dagies et. al. If Forney is defensively lacking as the scouts suggest I don't care how good he is offensively. I'd like him to work on his defensive play VERY VERY hard. If that means working on it in the USHL a year, so be it. If Hak decides to bring him in early, then I'd expect Hak to coach him hard on defensive responsibility and to sit him if he should ever forget about it. Yeah, I'm going to drive Gopher fans nuts when I say this but: Rochester American's head coach noticed early in the season that Vanek was a defensive liability and prone to cherry pick while the rest of his team were playing defense in their own zone. That head coach sat Vanek's butt down for a game or two (or at the very least Vanek didn't get much ice time) and ran him hard in practice. The result? Vanek isn't a 2 way forward, but he's better at it now than he was and it still didn't hurt the results of his season in the AHL (I believe he lead all rookies in either goals). I don't know how Lucia coaches and whether he could have done the same thing for Vanek, but I know historically Blais and Hakstol have never been afraid of sitting a liability. I hope Forney's draft status and hype (what hype there is) don't get in the way of that tendency.

o.k. I'm convinced now. Equally it is.

I've seen him play more than just at some summer hockey festivals. Speaking of that, a kid doesn't get picked to play on any team called "Team USA" if he isn't a quality player. Anyway, I find it quite humerous that you can come on here and say that he is "defensively lacking" (I know you attributed that to scouts, but come on) and suggest that maybe he would need a year in the USHL, having likely NEVER seen him play a game.

Forney is a great hockey player and a great kid. Sioux fans are going to enjoy watching the energy and skill that he brings to the game. The Sioux coaches have recognized that and I trust that they know what they are doing. If he needs a year in the USHL, and I don't think he does, that will be a decision between the Sioux coaching staff and the Forney family.

From the article:

The University of North Dakota are members of the WCHA (Western Collegiate Hockey Association) and played in the NCAA Frozen Four National Championship game last season, losing to Denver University in the final game. The Fighting Sioux have won five national championships, most recently in 1997 and 2000. They are currently ranked fifth in the nation for Division I hockey with a 5-2-1 record.

Why do so many people screw this up?

Of course your going to find sour grapes Gophers fans, but it's not like we didn't hear "There is no one in our recruiting class I'd trade for Potulny or Irmen."

Anyhow there were a lot of people on GPL who wanted him to be a Gopher, I suspect the Gophs will get by.

???

I've seen him play more than just at some summer hockey festivals. Speaking of that, a kid doesn't get picked to play on any team called "Team USA" if he isn't a quality player. Anyway, I find it quite humerous that you can come on here and say that he is "defensively lacking" (I know you attributed that to scouts, but come on) and suggest that maybe he would need a year in the USHL, having likely NEVER seen him play a game.

Forney is a great hockey player and a great kid. Sioux fans are going to enjoy watching the energy and skill that he brings to the game. The Sioux coaches have recognized that and I trust that they know what they are doing. If he needs a year in the USHL, and I don't think he does, that will be a decision between the Sioux coaching staff and the Forney family.

I've "attributed" to scouts? I suggest you read that McKeen's report again. Then reread my posts. I also said this word... "IF" when it comes to that trait. I never claimed that he was. IF he is defensively a liability, I would expect what I stated above. If he isn't then he isn't and I'm wrong.

Don't jump all over me because I took the hypothetical path based upon the word of a person whose job is to evaluate players. That person may be wrong and so may I, but I never claimed it to be THE truth anyways.

The last 6 months UND is 2 and 0 in recruiting wars vs. Minnesota. First Finley and now Forney. But after they commit Minnesota says that didn't want them guys.

I read Minnesota Hockey Journal's "Quick Facts" and it stated we had been after both David Fischer and Jay Barriball before they committed to Minnesota this past summer. So you'd have to make that 2 and 2.