SiouxSports.com Forum

Welcome Michael Forney

DMT

The last 6 months UND is 2 and 0 in recruiting wars vs. Minnesota. First Finley and now Forney. But after they commit Minnesota says that didn't want them guys.

OK, but I suspect that Okposo was a Sioux target since he was a Shattuck standout. They go both ways. Both schools get most of their recruits. I would focus more on how the two schools develop players. There I think UND has a big advantage recently. Fabian, JPar, Bina, Schneider, Panzers, Hoogsteens, Karl, and the like were NOT first tier recruits, but have become/became solid WCHA contributers.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, but I suspect that Okposo was a Sioux target since he was a Shattuck standout. They go both ways. Both schools get most of their recruits. I would focus more on how the two schools develop players. There I think UND has a big advantage recently. Fabian, JPar, Bina, Schneider, Panzers, Hoogsteens, Karl, and the like were NOT first tier recruits, but have become/became solid WCHA contributers.

It's nice to win head to head recruiting battles and the Gophers needed Finley desparately. As for developing players both have had big hits and misses. It's not like Potulny, Riddle, Koalska weren't productive WCHA players. Sure all Gophers fans would have liked to see Tallackson dominate, but I'm sure there is someone in the huge group that came in with Bochenski that could have delivered more.

I've said it many times now, but these two teams are very similar. They often are recruiting the same players and neither is ever really short on talent be it top end or depth. The edge in a given season will typically be decided by which group has the more experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure all Gophers fans would have liked to see Tallackson dominate,

Tallackson showed up in the box score of a NJ game last week, believe he got a goal and assist in his first appearance. Not sure who he replaced or if he's still with the big club

I apologize for the lack of timing on this as I am not an avid vistor to the Hockey portion of siouxsports. But I noticed that someone wanted a rundown as a scouting report about Forney. Having seen him play many times and spoken to his family and himself about the situation, here is what I have to offer.

Offensive- Great hands- can handle the puck very effectively, shows great capability in puck control and seems to always have to option to shoot or pass because of this puck control. Wrister is quick and most effective when it is shin to thigh high. Slapper is kind of slow in developing but has good speed on the actual shot. Accuracy is a little wary however, but this can be worked on.

Defensively- Big body, but needs to use it physically. He is able to use the body to pin opponents and avoid being pushed around, but with a 6'4" (or so) body he needs to be the one pushing bodies around.

Intangibles- Smart hockey player. Spent a lot of time the past couple summers doing camps and getting advice from around the world. Knows the game, and like I saw from someone else "rarely gets caught in the wrong spot". Likeable kid- I do not forsee any conlficts caused by him in the locker room. He played against Oshie as a freshmen, and has been in contact with Eades through the TRF-Warroad rivalry. Great personality and seems to always be available to adjust to surroundings. Good team player- last season he was definately the best player on the TRF team and probably in the Mariucci Conference in MN, but was the 3rd leading scorer behind a kid from Warroad and fellow linemate Alec Holen, proving his ability (and willingness) to pass.

Potential- Like I said before with a body of that frame, Forney needs to put on a little muscle and I do not see that as a problem. His brothers both attempted college atheltics and could not put on any extra muscle and ended up dropping it, so that could be a cause for concern. I fully believe that Hak and his staff can devise some sort of regimine that will work though. Offensively, he is ready for the WCHA. Defensively, we will see by the end of the HS year.

Smarts- Just a quick note on the education side, with both parents being teachers, the education aspect is/ will be a big part in Forney's college experience. I do not know what he wishes to pursue, but the pressure will be on there too.

Any feedback on this is encouraged, and I will undoubtedly have more as the HS season unfolds.

I apologize for the lack of timing on this as I am not an avid vistor to the Hockey portion of siouxsports. But I noticed that someone wanted a rundown as a scouting report about Forney. Having seen him play many times and spoken to his family and himself about the situation, here is what I have to offer.

Offensive- Great hands- can handle the puck very effectively, shows great capability in puck control and seems to always have to option to shoot or pass because of this puck control. Wrister is quick and most effective when it is shin to thigh high. Slapper is kind of slow in developing but has good speed on the actual shot. Accuracy is a little wary however, but this can be worked on.

Defensively- Big body, but needs to use it physically. He is able to use the body to pin opponents and avoid being pushed around, but with a 6'4" (or so) body he needs to be the one pushing bodies around.

Intangibles- Smart hockey player. Spent a lot of time the past couple summers doing camps and getting advice from around the world. Knows the game, and like I saw from someone else "rarely gets caught in the wrong spot". Likeable kid- I do not forsee any conlficts caused by him in the locker room. He played against Oshie as a freshmen, and has been in contact with Eades through the TRF-Warroad rivalry. Great personality and seems to always be available to adjust to surroundings. Good team player- last season he was definately the best player on the TRF team and probably in the Mariucci Conference in MN, but was the 3rd leading scorer behind a kid from Warroad and fellow linemate Alec Holen, proving his ability (and willingness) to pass.

Potential- Like I said before with a body of that frame, Forney needs to put on a little muscle and I do not see that as a problem. His brothers both attempted college atheltics and could not put on any extra muscle and ended up dropping it, so that could be a cause for concern. I fully believe that Hak and his staff can devise some sort of regimine that will work though. Offensively, he is ready for the WCHA. Defensively, we will see by the end of the HS year.

Smarts- Just a quick note on the education side, with both parents being teachers, the education aspect is/ will be a big part in Forney's college experience. I do not know what he wishes to pursue, but the pressure will be on there too.

Any feedback on this is encouraged, and I will undoubtedly have more as the HS season unfolds.

THANK YOU for your GREAT recap on Forney.

What my interests are more akin to what would bring that scout from McKeen to say that he was a "Defensive liability" at least at times. Is this because of what you cited (lack of physical game)? How good is his skating? Does he get caught not moving his feet much?

On a purely superficial note, what number does he wear?

Again, thanks for your recap. I look forward to hearing more.

Excellent post, thanks for the great insight. God I hope the thing I put in bold is a joke, otherwise I don't really know what to say. If he was better than Oshie as a junior, then what on earth will he do this year?? Please keep us updated as I won't be able to see him play this year, and you obviously know the family very well and you know hockey very well it sounds like. Thank you.

THANK YOU for your GREAT recap on Forney.

What my interests are more akin to what would bring that scout from McKeen to say that he was a "Defensive liability" at least at times. Is this because of what you cited (lack of physical game)? How good is his skating? Does he get caught not moving his feet much?

On a purely superficial note, what number does he wear?

Again, thanks for your recap. I look forward to hearing more.

Defensive Liability.....ehh...maybe?? Not that I recall, but his defense is undoubtedly his weak point, but he has the opportunity to imporve that this year. As far as his number.....I am not positive but I think 7. Don't quote that, but if I remember correctly thats it. If Forney learns to use his body he could be a good down low presence on defense and could clear bodies. Who knows. According to my sources he put his time in the weight room this last summer for football and hockey. His dry land program is one that his coach, Eades, and the TRF FB coach have worked together to develop. He should be ready for the WCHA, but I personally think that he might go play a year of Juniors first.

...He should be ready for the WCHA, but I personally think that he might go play a year of Juniors first...

Isn't he projected as a 1st rounder? Why would he even consider going to play Juniors? Or do you simply mean after the MSHSL season?

Edited by sagard

Defensive Liability.....ehh...maybe?? Not that I recall, but his defense is undoubtedly his weak point, but he has the opportunity to imporve that this year. As far as his number.....I am not positive but I think 7. Don't quote that, but if I remember correctly thats it. If Forney learns to use his body he could be a good down low presence on defense and could clear bodies. Who knows. According to my sources he put his time in the weight room this last summer for football and hockey. His dry land program is one that his coach, Eades, and the TRF FB coach have worked together to develop. He should be ready for the WCHA, but I personally think that he might go play a year of Juniors first.

I think you're right with 7. He wore 27 as a freshman.

• 6 months later...