SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

??? Horrible start!! What's the deal with the radio/internet feed??? The 2nd ranked team in the nation...and we can't get decent radio?? At least it was good for the second half...way to go ladies!! Awful begining, but a W is a W!! Hats off to Maffin!

i meant for the season...? totally agree with broadcast..? i can not understand...maffin is having some fun..

i meant for the season...? totally agree with broadcast..? i can not understand...maffin is having some fun..

??? I meant the game tonight...I know what you meant...20-0...gotta love that!!! :lol::D What's so great about this team is that they are a team...you never know who is going to shine, but they all take their turn to show up! I'm hoping for GREAT things! :lol:

Chad Lavin, the USD coach, made a pretty impressive statement last night. He said he thinks this is the best Sioux team he has ever seen. That would put this team in some pretty impressive company. In other words this could be the best womens team that has ever played in the NCC. I'm obviously getting ahead of myself, but it is fun to think about. Of course unless they win a National title that conversation will cease. ST. Cloud is very good team too and beating them next week in ST. Cloud is going to be difficult. It sure is fun thinking about the potential of this team in the future. By the way, if Clear Channel is going to continue to carry the Sioux games, maybe they need to get some better equipment. The quality of their broadcast is poor way to often.

By the way, if Clear Channel is going to continue to carry the Sioux games, maybe they need to get some better equipment. The quality of their broadcast is poor way to often.
Couldn't agree more!!

am looking forward to the large and loud SCSU and UND crowd at Halenbeck on Saturday night!

Me too...hope to get to that one..should be a great match-up!

Couldn't agree more!!

Me too...hope to get to that one..should be a great match-up!

Who do we all need to start getting on about the internet broadcast. It was terrible the last part of the 1st half, then was good at half and there on. This should not continue to happen every game it seems like. I have not had these problems when I try other teams broadcast's.

Let's get after the powers and encourage them to get this fixed NOW !

Who do we all need to start getting on about the internet broadcast. It was terrible the last part of the 1st half, then was good at half and there on. This should not continue to happen every game it seems like. I have not had these problems when I try other teams broadcast's.

Let's get after the powers and encourage them to get this fixed NOW !

I'm with you. I'm sick of nothing being done to make this stuff any better, I'm also sick of the same old excuses about it.

Anyone know who can be contacted?

Well, I just got back from the Central/VC game. I thought that VC was pretty bad except for Bergan. She definitely is not as polished as Seay is but, with some coaching, she could definitely be a good player a couple of years down the road. Seay could be a factor for the Sioux coming off of the bench next year. She has a great shot and seems to be able to get it off from anywhere. She seems to have a smooth and quick release. I think that the Sioux got a couple of good ones. I would guess that at least Bergan will redshirt a year.

Well, I just got back from the Central/VC game. I thought that VC was pretty bad except for Bergan. She definitely is not as polished as Seay is but, with some coaching, she could definitely be a good player a couple of years down the road. Seay could be a factor for the Sioux coming off of the bench next year. She has a great shot and seems to be able to get it off from anywhere. She seems to have a smooth and quick release. I think that the Sioux got a couple of good ones. I would guess that at least Bergan will redshirt a year.

I was also at the Central-VC game, and I agree that Seay is an outstanding player. I was somewhat skeptical when she was signed because frankly, the history of Grand Forks girls players succeeding at the college level isn't very good. But she can really play. I think she's probably the best girl basketball player ever in Grand Forks, and can certainly play in the NCC. Although I think she could contribute immediately for the Sioux, I wouldn't mind seeing her red-shirt due to the fact that it would give her a chance to get stronger, and also because so many perimeter players return next year (Jahner, Maffin, Guinn, Bagaason and Beck).

From what I was told, that was about as poor as Bergan has shot this year. I suspect both she and Seay were a little nervous with the UND coaches and most of the team at the game. I think she'll be fine, especially considering that as the point guard, she's going to primarily be asked to handle the ball, pass and play defense. That's not to say that she can't shoot, because she can. She's also normally very adept at penetrating and dishing, but she simply doesn't have many options to pass it to right now. Of course, that will change next year, as she'll be surrounded by four players who can score whenever she's on the court. I don't think there's much of a chance that she'll red-shirt, because although Jahner can play the point and likely will start there next year, nobody else on the team is a natural point guard. I know Guinn and Bagaason have been playing some at the point, but that's a tough transition from the wing to the point. I would expect Jossy will be the backup point guard next year, just as Amy Mahlum was a freshman.

Thank you for the insight. I don't consider myself to be very good at scouting. As for Bergan, it really was clear that she had no one on that team that she really trusted to score when she passed them the ball. She also had a pretty bad shooting night as was stated above. It sure seems that the VC coach doesn't have much of a grasp of basketball coaching. It should be fun to see how Bergan improves after a year or two of good coaching and better teammates around her.

Being from VC and watching that team play I can tell you that Coach Dockter down there is not in a good situation. That program making state last year was a once in a lifetime thing. I don't think that either the boys or the girls teams in VC will win a game this year. But the girls are especially bad. Jossy only shoots so poorly because there is NOBODY on that team that can score, let alone even dribble a basketball. After she graduates, they may have to drop to a jv level program just to work back up to being competitive. I really feel sorry for Jossy right now, as she has to work 5 times harder than anyone on the court just to keep her team in the game. When she is surrounded by talent, you won't even recognize her as far as ability goes. I'm sure she'll be able to come in and play the same role next year that Mahlum did as a freshman.

Being from VC and watching that team play I can tell you that Coach Dockter down there is not in a good situation. That program making state last year was a once in a lifetime thing. I don't think that either the boys or the girls teams in VC will win a game this year. But the girls are especially bad. Jossy only shoots so poorly because there is NOBODY on that team that can score, let alone even dribble a basketball. After she graduates, they may have to drop to a jv level program just to work back up to being competitive. I really feel sorry for Jossy right now, as she has to work 5 times harder than anyone on the court just to keep her team in the game. When she is surrounded by talent, you won't even recognize her as far as ability goes. I'm sure she'll be able to come in and play the same role next year that Mahlum did as a freshman.

I agree that she doesnt have a lot of talent to work with in her teamates, but a truly good player makes fellow players around him or her better. Im not saying Bergan is a bad player, because she is far from it, but to say that the lack of talent in her teamates is the sole reason she is shooting so poorly is pushing it. Her shot needs work and is obviously not the reason UND recruited her. Bergan was probably wanted more for her defense and dribbling abilities.

I agree that she doesnt have a lot of talent to work with in her teamates, but a truly good player makes fellow players around him or her better. Im not saying Bergan is a bad player, because she is far from it, but to say that the lack of talent in her teamates is the sole reason she is shooting so poorly is pushing it. Her shot needs work and is obviously not the reason UND recruited her. Bergan was probably wanted more for her defense and dribbling abilities.

You know, in principle I agree with what you just said, but in practice, I don't think it will be possible for her to make her teammates better. She could give most of those girls beautiful feeds for layups, but most often they either don't catch the ball, or else they blow the shot. I feel sorry for all the VC girls on that team, but you can only make your teammates so much better. I agree that she is a gritty defender and good ball handler, but don't sell her offensive abilities short. She's got a good shot from the outside, and is an excellent penetrator for her height.

As to what Bergan's role will likely be at UND and why she was recruited, I think this is a pretty good description: link.

You amaze me with your ability to research and find stuff, great job. That tells you axactly what most programs want out of their point guard, if she can do that she will have a great carrer at UND.

Langen dominated tonight, with 29 points and 15 boards. It should be a clash of the titans when she and Quigley match up on Saturday. Ashley actually out-scored her in two of their three meetings last season. Quigley is quicker getting up and down the court, but Langen is much stronger. One big advantage UND will have is that even if Ashley gets into foul trouble, the Sioux will still have Kimbrough, who had 21 points tonight. If Quigley gets into foul trouble, St. Cloud is in huge trouble, as they don't have much of a bench. UND's perimeter people will need to step up on Saturday. Besides Mahlum, Gene didn't sound too pleased with any of the rest of them tonight.

take Langen, Kimbrough and Boese(who was 4-9) out of the mix and the rest of the team was 3-24???

That's the advantage of having depth you find the girls that are hot and go with them, not everyone is going to be on every night.

As much as the coaches try to take it one game at a time there is no way that the girls weren't looking towards saturday's game.

Go Sioux Saturday !

The question that needs to be asked is when do the women lose. I feel if they don't lose before the playoffs they won't win a championship. I think they'll need to lose a game to better understand themselves. When should the best time to lose be? I think it maybe the next game. Quality opponent on the road then when you possibly meet them in the playoffs you are out for revenge?