SiouxSports.com Forum

Women's BB

UND Fan

Wow the women struggled tonight, did any one listen to the game? The sioux won by 40 something last time they played just a few weeks ago, I understand they shot very poorly, but what did Crookston do to narrow the margin so much. It makes it look as if maybe they are not progressing the way they should be.

Looks to me like it might have been one of those "trap" games. A nothing to lose UofM Crook team and playing on the road in a pretty mild environment. The ladies could have come out with less focus than necessary and maybe the Coaching staff can use this as a learning tool for the future. I wouldn't worry to much. Crookston isn't great but they do have some talent. The older Wahlin can play along with Karna Plaine from Hatton. They aren't a terrible team..........but not 4 points within the Sioux.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crookston did not remember the last time they played the sioux and The Sioux did remember!..Thats what the paper will say tommorow..The Ladies played hard but were not sharp...Shot the ball as poorly as I have seen,Free throws,threes,bunnies all misses...actually shot 22.9%in 2nd half..over all game 20 % from 3 land..they won and that is the bottom line, but they know it was not there best effort, I never felt in the flow of game however we were going to lose..Sioux did what they had to when they had to...

Edited by coachdags

Did UMC sit back in that tight zone again? I assume they did. That's why teams do it against UND. It won't work often, but once in every 10-15 games, the Sioux will shoot 30-something percent, and a clearly inferior team can spring an upset. But this would have been the biggest upset in local college basketball history IMO. Hopefully this serves as a wakeup call. Even shooting that poorly, if the Sioux had played with more fire, it still could have been a 20-plus point win considering the huge disparity in talent and depth between the two teams. What are the odds that Boese, Mahlum, Maffin and Guinn all have poor shooting nights at the same time like they did last night? Hard to believe.

The Duluth women stuck it to the Bison women pretty good tonight in Fargo. They had the Bison down by 16 late in the game. Duluth, St. Cloud and the Sioux are all going to be very good. I think the top teams in the NCC are going to be as good as they have ever had. The NCC is really going to be a dog fight this year.

The Duluth women stuck it to the Bison women pretty good tonight in Fargo. They had the Bison down by 16 late in the game. Duluth, St. Cloud and the Sioux are all going to be very good. I think the top teams in the NCC are going to be as good as they have ever had. The NCC is really going to be a dog fight this year.

This was a mild surprise to me, but NDSU seems to be a bit lacking in offensive firepower. They clearly couldn't handle Dietz at all. This is just my personal opinion, but it appears as though NDSU's recruiting has really fallen off in recent years. Since signing Katie Lorenz--who is certainly an excellent player--they haven't really brought in many "difference makers" in the past 3-4 years.

I'm telling you this is what could happen if the Sioux make the move to D-1, girls are different than guys, they are not so much stuck on the D-1 tag and would rather play for a proven winner than play for a team that is going to be average. In the D-1 world the Sioux would be just another team in that mid majior world. Difference makers do not want to play for just another average team. This loss by NDSU should bring them back down to reality there is very little if any difference between these mid-majiors and the top D-II teams.

For what it's worth, I think Roebuck agrees with you. It's kind of ironic that going dI would probably help the men's program, but could very well have a corresponding negative impact on the women. Personally, I'd prefer to do what's best for the women, but it seems that dI is the direction the athletic department is heading.

It looks like a few of the players have really struggled with their shooting the past couple of games. Hopefully it's just a matter of being tired from finals and/or the fact that the season has been a little longer than it normally would have been at this point due to the early start at the Disney tournament. On the plus side, Langen really seems to have elevated her game recently. If the outside shooting can get back to where it should be, along with Langen's dominating play inside, we'll really see what this team is capable of.

We are all very excited about our ladies' team this year. They are talented, young, exciting to watch and definitiely have the ability to go a long ways into the playoffs. However, it appears the conference will be tougher than I had originally thought. Duluth took it to NDSU in Fargo and St. Clould appears to be very good with Augie, UNO and USd more than respectable. This is good though, you wouldn't want UND to "walk" through the league and then have to step it up for the playoffs.

We are all very excited about our ladies' team this year. They are talented, young, exciting to watch and definitiely have the ability to go a long ways into the playoffs. However, it appears the conference will be tougher than I had originally thought. Duluth took it to NDSU in Fargo and St. Clould appears to be very good with Augie, UNO and USd more than respectable. This is good though, you wouldn't want UND to "walk" through the league and then have to step it up for the playoffs.

The league definitely looks tough this year. What I find encouraging is that we all probably agree that UND is better and deeper than last year, and last year UND went a combined 5-0 vs. UMD and SCSU. I am quite certain that neither St. Cloud nor Duluth has added anything close to what UND has in terms of newcomers. Plus, St. Cloud has played a very soft non-conference schedule which could hurt them a bit once NCC play starts. Duluth relies so much on Dietz that they will be vulnerable, especially in those games where she struggles. That was how UND absolutely throttled them by 35 last year in Grand Forks.

Who is going to step forward and stake a claim to the starting 3 position? Maffin had started for most of the first 13 games, but is struggling right now and has a low field goal percentage. Guinn started last night and is shooting better than Maffin, but has had a bit of a problem with turnovers. I realize both are coming off serious injuries, which is difficult for anybody. Hopefully one of them can step forward over the next few non-conference games, because NCC play is coming up fast. That position will be important because whomever is playing there will likely get a lot of open looks as teams will continue to focus on trying to stop the inside game.

I would agree that our only question mark would be the 3. I was rather disappointed in Ledger and Guinn on the defensive end last night. Ledger doesn't seem to be able to keep up with her girl on that end of things yet. She kept getting blown past or would get caught going for the steal on every pass. I have been impressed with her offensive game for the most part however. UND92,96 what are your thoughts on Ledger's defense?

I would agree that our only question mark would be the 3. I was rather disappointed in Ledger and Guinn on the defensive end last night. Ledger doesn't seem to be able to keep up with her girl on that end of things yet. She kept getting blown past or would get caught going for the steal on every pass. I have been impressed with her offensive game for the most part however. UND92,96 what are your thoughts on Ledger's defense?

Well, it looked to be as if Roebuck was trying a new press zone maybe? Almost like a 2-2-1 trap. So with the women trying something new, there are bound to be a couple mistakes. As for Ledger's defense, I still think she is a bruiser. She did get burned on a couple drives, but have you noticed her weakside defense? She is always in the passing lanes and stepping up to take a charge. She is a tough, aggressive player and maybe last night was her off night, but I still have total confidence in her on the defensive end as well as the offensive. She has some great post moves and awesome leaping abilities.

It's tough to be too critical of a 32-point win, but I was a little disappointed in how many easy baskets the Sioux gave up, and in how few turnovers were forced. I suppose it can be chalked up to the fact that the level of intensity against an obviously overmatched opponent isn't going to be the same as it would be against a Concordia-St. Paul, for example, especially in the last game before the Christmas break.

It's tough to be too critical of a 32-point win, but I was a little disappointed in how many easy baskets the Sioux gave up, and in how few turnovers were forced. I suppose it can be chalked up to the fact that the level of intensity against an obviously overmatched opponent isn't going to be the same as it would be against a Concordia-St. Paul, for example, especially in the last game before the Christmas break.

I totally agree. I don't think we will see those many easy lay ups against other opponents.

This team is really a lot of fun to watch. We are very spoiled here at UND to have such a great program.

So just how good is Draxten of Fergus Falls? Is Wahlin's talent level comparable? Amazing both are sophomores.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm...&section=Sports

Although she downplayed rumors that she’s already received NCAA Division I scholarship offers, everything else you’ve heard about Fergus Falls sophomore Hannah Draxten is true. One piece of new information about the 6-foot scoring machine: She’s part of arguably the area’s best team.

“(Being 7-0) it means a lot,” said Draxten, who, with an average of 23.7 points per game, is on her way to leading the Otters in scoring for a third straight season.

I see where SCSU had a close game last night with Moorhead in St. Cloud. They have one of the softest non-conference schedules I can recall. Not only do they have no difficult road games, but they actually play UMC three times! I have a feeling they're in for a dose of reality when NCC play starts, as they open at Duluth.