SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's change the name and keep the logo

LFSPRO

I am a long time supporter of the Fighting Sioux, the nickname and the logo. However after much soul searching I am to the point of saying, lets honor the honorable.

I would like to suggest the Imperials.

The definition of Imperials fits the University of ND and it's athletic teams. It also honors Ralph Engelstad and his contribution to the university.

Since it is not an Indian name, the NCAA would not be able to restrict it's use during tournement play and the Ralph and teams would be able to use the current logo for everything other than NCAA playoffs.

No longer would the Indians have a complaint as their name would no longer be associated with UND.

It is time to move forward and put this issue behind everyone, could this be a solution?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a long time supporter of the Fighting Sioux, the nickname and the logo.  However after much soul searching I am to the point of saying, lets honor the honorable.

I would like to suggest the Imperials.

The definition of Imperials fits the University of ND and it's athletic teams.  It also honors Ralph Engelstad and his contribution to the university. 

Since it is not an Indian name, the NCAA would not be able to restrict it's use during tournement play and the Ralph and teams would be able to use the current logo for everything other than NCAA playoffs.

No longer would the Indians have a complaint as their name would no longer be associated with UND.

It is time to move forward and put this issue behind everyone, could this be a solution?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope. They'd complain about the logo then. So far, the only thing the pro-name changers have proven to me is that they want to totally control what UND displays. They want more and more and more. They are entittled to it because of what happened to them 100 plus years ago. The logo may have been drawn by someone who is NOT Sioux, and the Sioux may have claimed to disavow it as being not Sioux, but if we change the name and keep the logo, I'd expect them to flip flop and say that the likeness of the Sioux on the jerseys should be removed.

Quite frankly, if we do change the name, I think the Sioux people should have 0 input on what we change the name to. They got their wish and that's that.

As for the name 'Imperials' I'd vote no. As much as I respect Ralph, I think we've honored him enough. Changing the name to honor him would be overboard, IMO.

Sure, we should change the name, but it should be something that makes a statement. Honoring the Sioux is no longer in question. They don't deserve Honor and besides, they don't want to be Honored.

Didn't we already change the logo back and forth several times to have a Native likeness, then not, now to a likeness. You can't possibly please everybody every time. So the changes made some happy-or happier, and others not so they tried again, that didn't work either. Changing the name or logo another time is never going to make every one happy.

They should just try to come up with something that people and live with- co-exist with. Peacefully. I am not in favor of changing anything about the name or logo. I do support people treating people fairly and with respect. And I think most people that attend UND sporting events try to do that.

I think that if all else fails, the University should keep the Fighting Sioux name. So we play post-season games on the road and we wear uniforms with only numbers on them. So what? It's a matter of principal.

The NCAA is wrong and we shouldn't let them push us around.

We're not hostile and abusive.

I think that if all else fails, the University should keep the Fighting Sioux name.  So we play post-season games on the road and we wear uniforms with only numbers on them.  So what?  It's a matter of principal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent post...it IS a matter of principle, whether people agree with us or not, anybody should be able to see that the NCAA is fighting a fight that it shouldn't be in at all. This is something that should be resolved between UND and the tribes of ND/SD, just like it should be between every school and namesake tribe. I say we go on the road as well if needed to prove a point, that we as a University aren't not going to be pushed around by a "bully" and it will in actuallity unite our University, city, region, together even more when this school shows it's inner strength for the country to see.

I think that if all else fails, the University should keep the Fighting Sioux name.  So we play post-season games on the road and we wear uniforms with only numbers on them.  So what?  It's a matter of principal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I feel as strongly about retaining the Fighting Sioux names as anyone else, I have to disagree with you. If we lose all battles trying to retain the name, we do need to change it and get on with life.

It would be very unfair to our young athletes and our coaches (and fans, for that matter) for them to have to play any post season games on the road. Just because we are upset about this, doesn't mean our teams should be put at a disadvantage.

That being said, I am sure that Fighting Sioux logo'd clothing would be worn at UND athletic events for many, many years to come!

We have all grown to love the Fighting Sioux name. I was dead set against changing the name in the beginning out of principle alone. But ya know what? Screw it. It's just a name. If people want to make issue with it as being abusive and hostile, so be it.

And just to make things completely fair and impartial, I'd stop going out of my way with funding and special programs for specific races while excluding others. If there is such a program as INMED, I want to see BLACKMED, WHITEMED, HISPANICMED and ASIANMED as well. I'm quite certain EVERY race has hardships of equal value. It works both ways. If one race doesn't want to be singled out, they should get their wish..... across the board.

Here come your University of North Dakota Tornados......

It would be pretty cool to have an Imperial Storm Trooper as the mascot.

But then wouldn't we be mocking and "hostile and abusive" to the NCAA "Federation"? :silly:

PS - If it comes to that I get to be Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. First Natalie Portman :D , next the bad-ass suit and power over The Force. Sounds like a deal. :lol:

If you keep the logo you may as well keep the name. The NCAA is equating them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, you're right. If the NCAA declares Bradley University "hostile and abusive" simply for using the word "chiefs" in the name of a university club, there's no way it will back down from its crusade against the Sioux name and logo.

I also don't want the name changed, but I also don't feel the honor and pride I once did for Native American, specifically Sioux. I do however this the Aerospace program would be very honored if we were the University of North Dakota Fighting Aeros. The only other team that uses this is Houston Aeros.

I believe Aeros would bring a greater presence to our university and Aerospace program, way more presence than Sioux. I don't want to be known as an Indian school anymore, I want to be known as an Aerospace school. We may be losing out on possible college recruits with the name Sioux that we could be getting with the name Aeros. It's just a little bit more prestigous

Just thinking out loud.

I don't want to be known as an Indian school anymore, I want to be known as an Aerospace school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are other entities on campus that would probably prefer such names as the UND Litigating Lawyers or the UND Healing Docs. :silly:

No offense to Aerospace folks (used to be one myself) but I agree.

I agree what next putting an old jets logo on the front of our jerseys?

Why not a NASA logo they are out at the airport as part of UND avation now.

Edited by Goon