SiouxSports.com Forum

Let's change the name and keep the logo

LFSPRO

Here is a good read on Native Americans http://groups.google.com/group/sci.archaeo...1db045c088b300f?

Plus I still want Betty or Chris to Email me about the suggestion on Imperials ??? Do they read this forum ?

Fetch Posted on: Aug 31 2005, 10:42 AM

Group: Members

Member No.: 932

How about Imperials ? im

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The simple solution, when necessary drop the Sioux Moniker and go with

University of North DAKOTA

Can the NCAA make wearing the name of the University itself illegal? How about the name of a State?

The NCAA has already shown this is acceptable with the University of Illinois Illini...but who knows.

Does a university have to have a nickname...?

Imperials? Like Napoleon High School? I understand the sentiment toward Mr. Engelstad and all, but would you want to be the "Imps"?

If we're forced to a moniker for North Dakota that is also used by a HS in the state I have a better one in mind.

Don't ask, won't tell (until the day and time forces me to). ???

Imperials? Like Napoleon High School? I understand the sentiment toward Mr. Engelstad and all, but would you want to be the "Imps"?

If we're forced to a moniker for North Dakota that is also used by a HS in the state I have a better one in mind.

It better not be the Midgets (Dickinson). ???

You already have.

I have always believed that a school's logo should represent the area's culture, heritage, or history. I just don't think something like the Fighting Zebras would be fitting. I have been trying to think of possibilities that would be unique to UND. So far my favote has to be THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WHITE-TAILS. We could be the "Whiteys" for short.

Edited by dakotadan

I have always believed that a school's logo should represent the area's culture, heritage, or history. I just don't think something like the Fighting Zebras would be fitting. I have been trying to think of possibilities that would be unique to UND. So far my favote has to be THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA WHITE-TAILS. We could be the "Whiteys" for short.

I agree. Here is my suggestion...again. Try not to laugh this time...it hurts my feelings. ???

The University of North Dakota TUNDRA.

The school colors of green and white are still appropriate...tundra in the summer (green)...tundra in the winter (white).

It ties to our geologic/geographic past.

Imagine "Tundrastruck" (Thunderstruck by AC/DC) as the theme song as our team enters the field/arena.

The word is derived from "tundar" meaning "treeless plain."

It offends no one...not even PETA or any minority group (The White-Tails or Whitey's).

To my knowledge, it is not used by any other university.

It sounds tough...

I could go on but I need to go walk my dog.

You can thank me later. ???

This got lost when the board went down earlier this week.

Anyone who thinks that a name change is no biggie should acquaint themselves with the process ongoing at West Georgia. Click on this link and those in the box on the left of that page for an indication of the kinds of money, effort and energy even a more or less WELCOMED name-change requires.

No school will ever find a name/logo that will be immediately embraced by every constituency nor one that is teflon-coated such that no unintended puns can be made on that name.

The West Georgia experience:

http://mascot.westga.edu/

This got lost when the board went down earlier this week.

Anyone who thinks that a name change is no biggie should acquaint themselves with the process ongoing at West Georgia. Click on this link and those in the box on the left of that page for an indication of the kinds of money, effort and energy even a more or less WELCOMED name-change requires.

No school will ever find a name/logo that will be immediately embraced by every constituency nor one that is teflon-coated such that no unintended puns can be made on that name.

The West Georgia experience:

http://mascot.westga.edu/

You know, the process on this website shows student involvement, or at least the institution's attempt to get students involved in the process. So, even as large as it is getting down there, I'd accept it. The thing that I think that is most important to me lies with the REA and whatever changes it will have to make in order to change over with the change of the nickname.

Financially, I think UND and the Sioux tribes should work together to fund the removal of the logos should we change the logo. I'd say a 50-50 arrangement. The tribes pay for the removal and clean up processes and UND can pay for the reinstallment of whatever they decide be it plain granite floor (matching but logo-less) or as ornate as they wish.

This arrangement would be fair because the tribes would get charged with eliminating what they feel is a derogatory logo and name at a cost that they should have to pay to get rid of the nickname. It would be fair for UND because they won't be accused of being racist when they remove the logos (all dragging of wastebuckets across logos will be done by NA or NA supervised workers so it is their own problem not UND's), UND won't have to be directly associated with the removal process (which means they can claim that the NA people took down the logos with the permission of UND, not UND taking it down which infers that UND is taking responsibility for an NCAA created wrong), and funding-wise, it will cost more to replace than remove so UND can claim to take the majority of the financial hit in the process as to appear unbiased or hurtful during the change.

To me, it is only fair. Complaints about this can be stated that UND had no part in the logo placement, did not pay for it, and therefore should not be held responsible for their removal. It came as a charitable donation to the University.

The NCAA took Division III Carthage College off the list of schools with banned American Indian nicknames after the school changed its name from Redmen to Red Men. This proves the point that we are not dealing with brain surgeons at the NCAA. No way do they win a legal fight over this issue because they have simply been all over the fricken board with their rulings and logic.

Ditto.

I don't like how easy it is to butcher our name. Chimps? Impies? wImps? No, no thanks.

I say see what Turtle Mountain says and, if they say yes, Fighting Ojibwe. If no,

Hail Cavalry!!!!!

I like this idea, should it come to that. Red River High already uses the Roughriders, in reference to our state's most famous resident and his band of cavalry, so I say adopt "Cavalry" as the nickname. Logos can still include Teddy Roosevelt if we want (with no royatly fees), and there's nobody to get pissed and claim that a particluar logo looks too cartoon-like, or doesn't show as much respect on Thursday as it did on Tuesday.

John

I think Roughriders is a great name. Seems a bit clumsy to have a high school and a college using the same nickname, but I'd be tempted anyway. The connection to Roosevelt and North Dakota is a no-brainer. How do others feel about both a high school and UND using the same nickname?