SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

is belfours son on he sioux goalie radar?? he will play for the jets in fargo and i believe was selected to the usa select team....sounds decent..anyone know?

from brad's sioux hockey extra blog

http://www.gfheraldsiouxhockey.blogspot.com/

Our brothers from the Forum reported that Ed Belfour's son, Dayn, will play for the F-M Jets of the NAHL while attending Fargo North as a senior this year.

Dayn, a goaltender, was recently named to the U.S. Under-18 Select team, which will compete in Europe next month

Brad just quoted from the article that was posted above by DMT.

I would guess he'd be on the radar. He seems like he might be a bit of a late bloomer like his dad was. He was invited to the NTDP trout two years ago and was less than impressive. He was decent last year playing AAA hockey in Michigan, but he wasn't in the top 15 in GAA or save percentage. He played really well at the Select 17 Festival though and made the U18 team this summer, so maybe he's starting to get it together.

F-M's other goalie next year, Beau Christian, is also a guy to watch.. He played in the same league as Belfour last season, but had a 0.44 goals against and a 97% save percentage in 9 games. He was on the best team in the league though, and tended to start against weaker teams. Plus, the league games make up a small percentage of their schedule compared to tournaments and other games and I don't know how Christian did in those.

I would guess he'd be on the radar. He seems like he might be a bit of a late bloomer like his dad was. He was invited to the NTDP trout two years ago and was less than impressive. He was decent last year playing AAA hockey in Michigan, but he wasn't in the top 15 in GAA or save percentage. He played really well at the Select 17 Festival though and made the U18 team this summer, so maybe he's starting to get it together.

F-M's other goalie next year, Beau Christian, is also a guy to watch.. He played in the same league as Belfour last season, but had a 0.44 goals against and a 97% save percentage in 9 games. He was on the best team in the league though, and tended to start against weaker teams. Plus, the league games make up a small percentage of their schedule compared to tournaments and other games and I don't know how Christian did in those.

Christian did great, he was named the top Goalie at a big Midget tournament up in Toronto last seaon.

Agreed. I was hoping that we would get Wilson when I heard that UND was in the running for him. That's too bad.

Vegas- Has UND expressed interest in Gregoire, or vice versa?

Sorry for not replying sooner. I've been out of town for the last few weeks.

As far as Jason Gregoire is concerned, he has expressed an interest in going the college route. I don't know if UND has approached him or not but I certainly hope so. UND would be very attractive due to geography (2 hours from home) and the great tradition and facilities.

As for Wilson, UND was very high on his list according to his uncle. I don't know what gave BC the edge but I'm pretty sure it was very close between the two schools.

FWIW, Heisenberg now has Jason Gregoire listed as a 2007 recruit in the USHL section, playing for Lincoln, rather than the MJHL section, where he had previously been listed.

Which means he is almost definitely going to go college. If he wasn't then he would have gone to the WHL.

is this kid really good, ive heard the name, but other than that i dont know anything on him...

He was Rookie of the Year in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League last season which doesn't alwasy translate into success at the next level but he definitely has the potential.

He was Rookie of the Year in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League last season which doesn't alwasy translate into success at the next level but he definitely has the potential.

That's why I can't wait for him to suit up for the Lincoln Stars. Though being the top scorer or an award winner doesn't necessarily make you a great collegiate player either, it will really give an impression as to what this kid is really all about.

Sioux-Hab-It is right, though. F-M Jets had a player last season named Phil Fox who was a real scorer in the NAHL. He got picked up into the USHL and didn't last a full season before returning to the NAHL (or perhaps he left in the middle of the NAHL for the USHL and then returned to the Jets, but that would seem odd). His game didn't really translate between leagues. Phil still ended up getting a DI scholarship to some college out east (Quinwhimpiac?), so perhaps he'll pan out in that league. Another player who made the transition was Brock Bradford, who did pretty well for himself in the BCHL, and didn't do too badly in the USHL despite not having nearly the amount of offensive numbers they all thought he would (some speculate that cost him in the NHL draft). Where does Jason wind up in all of this? Who knows, but I'd love to find out!

That's why I can't wait for him to suit up for the Lincoln Stars. Though being the top scorer or an award winner doesn't necessarily make you a great collegiate player either, it will really give an impression as to what this kid is really all about.

Sioux-Hab-It is right, though. F-M Jets had a player last season named Phil Fox who was a real scorer in the NAHL. He got picked up into the USHL and didn't last a full season before returning to the NAHL (or perhaps he left in the middle of the NAHL for the USHL and then returned to the Jets, but that would seem odd). His game didn't really translate between leagues. Phil still ended up getting a DI scholarship to some college out east (Quinwhimpiac?), so perhaps he'll pan out in that league. Another player who made the transition was Brock Bradford, who did pretty well for himself in the BCHL, and didn't do too badly in the USHL despite not having nearly the amount of offensive numbers they all thought he would (some speculate that cost him in the NHL draft). Where does Jason wind up in all of this? Who knows, but I'd love to find out!

Phil Fox got a full ride to Northern Michigan. He was easily good enough to play for any USHL team, but was not getting enough special teams play because the USHL likes to play the underaged kids and the kids that have college scholarships and are sent to the USHL for seasoning. He would get plenty of playing time when the team needed a goal, but otherwise was not so he returned to the Jets. The fact that Phil Fox did not play enough in the USHL or that he returned to the Jets had nothing to do with his talent and ability. Kai Kantola also received a scholarship to play at Bowling Green.

A little more info on Gregoire. He played in the U17 Challenge over the holidays last year, the same tournament (different year) where J. Toews led Team Western to the Gold and was the tournament's leading scorer. Typically the rosters for the Canadian teams are at least 80% current or future MJ players.

Gregoire scored 3-1-4 in 4 games, good for second on his team behind a player with 0-5-5 in 5 games. Team Western did not do very well in the tournament, so these results were nowhere near the tournament's top scorers. For reference, Colin Wilson scored 6-2-8 in 6 games for Team USA. Also, Brad Malone had 4-1-5 in 5 games, Angelo Esposito 3-1-4 in 6 games and Kyle Turris 3-1-4 in 6 games.

He was a fourth round pick of the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL.

Here's a summary of Team Western's experience at the tournament (from a Hockey Manitoba newsletter that doesn't appear to be copyrighted).

http://www.hockeymanitoba.mb.ca/hockey_mat...2_febmar_06.pdf

--------------------

"It was just not to be for Team Western at this year's 2006 World Under 17 Hockey Challenge in Regina.

While the early buzz was a medal finish for the 22 Manitoba and Saskatchewan players that make up Team Western, a rash of injuries depleted the lineup starting with the exhibition game with Team Finland. A known pre-tournament strength, team defence, held true and the team played stingy defence throughout. Offensive chances, a premium at such a highly competitive tournament, were few and the team could not capitalize. A couple of missed opportunities, tough breaks, and goal posts prevented a better outcome and as the tournament progressed, our healthy players began to wear down. Brett Leffler, Team Western's Captain, Jason Gregoire, Assistant Captain and Josh Schappert all missed significant minutes due to various injuries.

After a 3-2 win against Slovakia in the opening game of the tournament, the Western players faced Team Quebec and went down to a 3-2 defeat against the eventual gold medal champions. Team USA was next and after a hard fought 1-1 tie, Team Western was left with a 5 goal or more defeat of Team Ontario on the last evening of the round robin to advance to the medal round. After taking an early 2-0 lead, the Ontario team turned out to be a formidable opponent defeating West 7-2.

The loss placed us 4th in our pool and a return engagement with Team Finland (the exhibition game opponent Western had played to a 2-2 tie with). Although our team was disappointed at not being able to play in the medal round, Jason Gregoire (who was back in the lineup) scored both goals, including the overtime winner to put Western in 7th place in the tournament. A big thank you should go out to the players and staff for a job well done and for representing Manitoba and Saskatchewan with pride."

---------------------

He was a fourth round pick of the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL.

Does anybody else have problems getting on the heisenberg site.

AOL, the ISP that hosts his site, has a hard capped bandwidth limit. Meaning only X amount of visits are allowed per 24 hour period (I believe it is 4 am to 4 am). If activity is high, the cutoff point gets earlier in the day. The best time to check his site is in the mornings usually.

He used to carry a mirror site but he cited that there was low enough activity with the primary site to go down to just one site. Though I am thankful that he updates and maintains those sites and the attached blog, I wish he'd host it on an ISP that didn't suck as badly as AOL does.

Phil Fox got a full ride to Northern Michigan. He was easily good enough to play for any USHL team, but was not getting enough special teams play because the USHL likes to play the underaged kids and the kids that have college scholarships and are sent to the USHL for seasoning. He would get plenty of playing time when the team needed a goal, but otherwise was not so he returned to the Jets. The fact that Phil Fox did not play enough in the USHL or that he returned to the Jets had nothing to do with his talent and ability. Kai Kantola also received a scholarship to play at Bowling Green.

My bad on the committment info.

As for the reasoning behind why Phil left the USHL for the NAHL, I stand (or sit) corrected. I thought the reason he gave for returning to the Jets (lack of playing time) was because he just couldn't crack the lineup. I guess I'm wrong.

Thanks for the explanation Redwing77.

There has been a few recruits in this summer on visits. Hopefully soon you will see a couple commitments. Some players names have not been mentioned on this board yet, so there might be some surprises.

I think someone should start a new recruiting thread. This one is getting to long.

Thanks for the explanation Redwing77.

There has been a few recruits in this summer on visits. Hopefully soon you will see a couple commitments. Some players names have not been mentioned on this board yet, so there might be some surprises.

I think someone should start a new recruiting thread. This one is getting to long.

I was wondering if you could possibly give us a few hints of some of these kids? ???