SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Ummm, Yes they were. ;)

I'm slightly leaning towards Rick's side of the fence on this one. From what I've read, Kangas wanted to go to Minnesota anyways, Thiessen seriously considered UND but really wanted to go to a school where he could step in next year instead of in 2007, and well.. Cheverie did shoot us down.

WISioux, never heard of him, but I have heard of Duluth Marshall. A pretty good program. However, why next year? The SIoux aren't looking for a goaltender for next year unless Jordy finds a miracle contract and goes pro. I say miracle because I think he'll be here all four years.

Rick- Are you sure about Karl Goehring? I was under the impression that both MInnesota and UND wanted Karl but Karl chose UND because UND offerred him more playing time or maybe it was to come in right away whereas Minnesota wanted him to wait a year... I can't remember exactly?

Rick- Are you sure about Karl Goehring? I was under the impression that both MInnesota and UND wanted Karl but Karl chose UND because UND offerred him more playing time or maybe it was to come in right away whereas Minnesota wanted him to wait a year... I can't remember exactly?

I once heard Doug Woog interviewed on this subject. As I remember, he said that he looked at Karl and that Minnesota wanted him, but they were well-stocked at goalie at the time and couldn't offer him anything. Under those circumstances, I imagine that Woog probably didn't spend a whole lot of time pursuing Goehring.

WISioux, never heard of him, but I have heard of Duluth Marshall. A pretty good program. However, why next year? The SIoux aren't looking for a goaltender for next year unless Jordy finds a miracle contract and goes pro. I say miracle because I think he'll be here all four years.

Not really sure... I don't know the kid personally, I was going through my friend. Perhaps he could spend some time in juniors and then come and play for us. Just throwing another name out there

Not really sure... I don't know the kid personally, I was going through my friend. Perhaps he could spend some time in juniors and then come and play for us. Just throwing another name out there

Why does everyone continue to speculate and say things like this. I think the Sioux coaches know that Parise leaving is a possibility. Whether that will happen is yet to be decided, but I hardly think it would need to be a miracle contract.

I once heard Doug Woog interviewed on this subject. As I remember, he said that he looked at Karl and that Minnesota wanted him, but they were well-stocked at goalie at the time and couldn't offer him anything. Under those circumstances, I imagine that Woog probably didn't spend a whole lot of time pursuing Goehring.

Thanks for clearing this up, PCM. :lol:

tnt- I said it because I just don't see Jordan leaving for the pros. He's a UFA. There's no pressure CBA or otherwise to sign him by anyone. I guess I just am too bullheaded in this issue to see any sort of possibility that Jordan will leave early.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure. Blaiser told me the story a few times, and I also asked Wooger about it one time on the Alexandria golf course.

news on lapoint in the wisconsin state journal

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/bad....php?ntid=76432

The offer still stands

How much does UW coach Mike Eaves want to land Eau Claire North High School prospect Derrick LaPoint?

Enough that two deadlines imposed by Eaves have come and gone and still UW is in pursuit of the state player of the year.

After a visit to UW earlier this month, LaPoint was offered a scholarship for the 2007-08 season. According to Derrick's father, Scott LaPoint, Eaves gave the 17-year-old defenseman two days to make up his mind or the tender would be taken off the table.

Derrick LaPoint said he called and told Eaves that he wouldn't decide until after he visited North Dakota and Minnesota later this month.

Eaves responded by extending the deadline another day. Derrick LaPoint called back and reiterated that he wouldn't choose a school until after thoroughly checking out all his options.

"I'm not sure, but I think (UW coaches) still think kids from Wisconsin have this burning desire to go to Wisconsin," Scott LaPoint said. "I'm not saying Derrick doesn't want to go there, but he wants to make sure he looks at all the possibilities."

Scott LaPoint, whose family adviser is former Badgers winger Dan Plante, said the biggest concern about UW is that it is projected to have nine defensemen on its roster in the 2007-08 season.

Derrick LaPoint, a 6-foot-3, 175-pounder, has surged onto the recruiting radar screen in recent months. He is ranked 96th on a list of North American prospects eligible for the 2006 NHL Entry Draft compiled by the Central Scouting Bureau and is 219th on a list of international prospects by Red Line Report.

Minnesota, North Dakota and UW have offered LaPoint scholarships for 2007-08. Quinnipiac has offered one for next season.

Scott LaPoint said his son will visit North Dakota Monday and is trying to schedule a visit with Minnesota later next week. The plan is to make a decision before the end of the month.

news on lapoint in the wisconsin state journal

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/bad....php?ntid=76432

The offer still stands

How much does UW coach Mike Eaves want to land Eau Claire North High School prospect Derrick LaPoint?

Enough that two deadlines imposed by Eaves have come and gone and still UW is in pursuit of the state player of the year.

After a visit to UW earlier this month, LaPoint was offered a scholarship for the 2007-08 season. According to Derrick's father, Scott LaPoint, Eaves gave the 17-year-old defenseman two days to make up his mind or the tender would be taken off the table.

Derrick LaPoint said he called and told Eaves that he wouldn't decide until after he visited North Dakota and Minnesota later this month.

Eaves responded by extending the deadline another day. Derrick LaPoint called back and reiterated that he wouldn't choose a school until after thoroughly checking out all his options.

"I'm not sure, but I think (UW coaches) still think kids from Wisconsin have this burning desire to go to Wisconsin," Scott LaPoint said. "I'm not saying Derrick doesn't want to go there, but he wants to make sure he looks at all the possibilities."

Scott LaPoint, whose family adviser is former Badgers winger Dan Plante, said the biggest concern about UW is that it is projected to have nine defensemen on its roster in the 2007-08 season.

Derrick LaPoint, a 6-foot-3, 175-pounder, has surged onto the recruiting radar screen in recent months. He is ranked 96th on a list of North American prospects eligible for the 2006 NHL Entry Draft compiled by the Central Scouting Bureau and is 219th on a list of international prospects by Red Line Report.

Minnesota, North Dakota and UW have offered LaPoint scholarships for 2007-08. Quinnipiac has offered one for next season.

Scott LaPoint said his son will visit North Dakota Monday and is trying to schedule a visit with Minnesota later next week. The plan is to make a decision before the end of the month.

You have to appreciate Quinnipiac's strategy,

MVParise

I believe LaPoint was said to be visiting UND today. Someone should make sure he reads this comment by Motzko from the above link

"Their freshmen are carrying them right now -- that's what's so scary about them. And they'll get (injured forward Drew) Stafford back from what I understand," St. Cloud State coach Bob Motzko said. "He's going to really help them, too. I'm pretty impressed with (defenseman Zach) Jones and a couple other of their defensemen. They were men killing penalties against us. They're doing something right over there."

"You have to congratulate North Dakota and their coaching staff," Motzko said. "Coach Hakstol, two years in a row, at the end of the year, he has his team playing."

Thanks for clearing this up, PCM. :D

tnt- I said it because I just don't see Jordan leaving for the pros. He's a UFA. There's no pressure CBA or otherwise to sign him by anyone. I guess I just am too bullheaded in this issue to see any sort of possibility that Jordan will leave early.

One reason for Parise leaving ... he's already 23. The clock is ticking. You are, for the most part, washed up athletically by 30-35. To me, that would be the biggest reqson to leave while you're hot!